Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 1 prototype images - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic 1 prototype images Both topics now merged together

#106 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Have I travelled back in time - these proto shots have been documented across half a dozen sites for years, including... this one.

http://info.sonicret...og_%2816-bit%29

we even host all the scans

These forums used to physically force you to read about this to have a chance of posting. UFOs in Marble Zone shouldn't be much of a shock these days.

#107 User is offline saxman 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

• S2HD Staff - Tools & Assistant Programmer
  • Project:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkQoKRovEk
  • Wiki edits:136

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 21 February 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Have I travelled back in time - these proto shots have been documented across half a dozen sites for years, including... this one.

http://info.sonicret...og_%2816-bit%29

we even host all the scans

These forums used to physically force you to read about this to have a chance of posting. UFOs in Marble Zone shouldn't be much of a shock these days.

In all fairness, the wiki is freakin' huge. And there's a lot of content, and pictures. If we repeat something, so be it. Yes, I've seen all those pictures on the previous page before, but I've also been around since 1996, so you can expect that. But even I forget a picture here and there and will occasionally think, honestly, that it's something new. So, I don't see the big deal.

#108 User is offline Toasty 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

• BulbaSAUR!
  • Wiki edits:3
Please forgive me, being a casual fan of Sonic I neglected to read every page on the Wiki. :rolleyes: p.s. I registered and took and passed TWO different versions of the trial member test a few years apart, the first time it was a quiz about Sonic 2's development, not Sonic 1's, hence Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta.
This post has been edited by Toasty: 21 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

#109 User is offline Walnut 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

View Postookamikaze, on 21 February 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

I think Sega should have the graphics and sprites of "1990 Tech Demo Prototype" saved somewhere ...

SEGA SHOULD have archives of almost everything they ever did saved somewhere, doesn't mean they do :P

#110 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
Didn't they destroy all the tapes they had when somebody found out about a warehouse with lots of them, and the massive Hidden Palace prototype release was from a tape that was rescued before that?

#111 User is offline Vinchenz 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

• ↑ & ↓ & ↻
  • Project:Research

View PostSik, on 21 February 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

What the hell, no. Sparkling zone was the original name of Spring Yard zone. What I had meant before is that whoever made that article mixed up Star Light zone with Sparkling zone.

Huh? Sorry, I wasn't referencing something you said. I honestly thought Star Light was originally called "Sparkling" all these years. >.>

Makes more sense now, though. Spring Yard originally looked a lot more Sparkling. :P

#112 User is offline ookamikaze 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

Sega would not be so stupid as to destroy those tapes ... There should be several prototype games.

#113 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postookamikaze, on 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Sega would not be so stupid as to destroy those tapes ... There should be several prototype games.

Which they need for... nothing!

#114 User is offline Sik 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostICEknight, on 21 February 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

View Postookamikaze, on 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

Which they need for... nothing!
This, they just took up space for no reason, by getting rid of those tapes they'd get more room for other stuff. For some reason they didn't get rid of other old stuff that's just as worthless for them though, just the prototypes.

On that note, for the same reason they most likely got rid of the source code for their old games, since now they can just emulate. Unless it was STI, then probably the source code lurks around in some old disks at the houses of the developers because organization was a disaster... (this was how Sonic Spinball's source code was recovered!)

#115 User is offline SegaLoco 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

• W)(at did you say?
  • Wiki edits:79

View PostSik, on 21 February 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

(this was how Sonic Spinball's source code was recovered!)

Say wah?

#116 User is offline Sik 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostSegaLoco, on 27 February 2012 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostSik, on 21 February 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

(this was how Sonic Spinball's source code was recovered!)
Say wah?
http://www.gamasutra...ame_.php?page=4

About two weeks later, I received a very interesting call. The former director of technology for the group called me up and said, 'I have good news, bad news, and strange news. The strange news is that you asked me a couple of weeks ago if I had a copy of the source code for Sonic Spinball, and while cleaning out my garage this weekend, I came across a box labeled 'Sonic Spinball'. The good news is that it may have the source code in it. The bad news is that the disc is a magneto-optical disc and I have no way of confirming the exact contents of the disc.'

"I sent our project coordinator over to pick up the magneto-optical disc, we gave it to our creative services group (which still had a magneto-optical drive at the time), and luckily for us -- it had the source code we were looking for! This story had a happy ending -- as the source code worked great for us and we shipped Sega Smash Pack for the GBA with all three games included in the product (and we did not have to recreate Sonic Spinball from scratch)."

Hawkins would go on to deliver the original Sonic Spinball source code from the magnetic optic disc to Sega, (along with a backup of the source code and assets for the GBA version) after the project was completed.

Of course, it isn't in our hands, but now it's in a much more modern media so it's likely to last longer =/

EDIT: changed quote to make the point more clear.
This post has been edited by Sik: 27 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

#117 User is offline SegaLoco 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

• W)(at did you say?
  • Wiki edits:79
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you were implying it was in community hands or something :P

#118 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:Sure to be Ban'd, The Bancast, Trunks & Soto, iLove
  • Wiki edits:30

View PostLocalH, on 20 February 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

Posted Image
That text is definitely part of the ROM being executed.

Or it was some clever magazine editor who decided it'd be neat if it looked like it was in the game. Nothing says that's in-game to me.

#119 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

• Wiki edits:196
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree—but mostly because it kinda looks less blurry / higher-resolution / sharper than the 'rest' of the graphics, making it hard to believe it's being rendered by the MD.

#120 User is offline Sik 

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Has anybody bothered translating the text around the image?

• 16 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users