Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: A Guide to (GOOD) Palette Editing - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

A Guide to (GOOD) Palette Editing Gimme a chance, fellas :3

#16 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:Who knows? Toss a coin, will ya?
  • Wiki edits:27
What? No. I know the intentions are there, but hey. No.

Let me elaborate, by process of refutation.

View PostSpektacular, on 25 January 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

EDITS TO BE AVOIDED BY BEGINNERS
These are the palette templates that over the years, I've only seen decently executed by experienced hackers.

I. Changing the time of day. So, you want your GHZ to have a sunset feeling going on? Or you want your EHZ to be during the night? STOP RIGHT THERE. These will be your first mistakes. These two ideas should be avoided for two reasons:
A. They're very awkward to do if you're new at this. Sure, maybe the checkers will look a little lighter orange, but the grass might look like glowing radioactive stuff.
B. They're generic and over-done ideas. Seems like only the experienced hackers can make these two ideas look fresh nowadays.

Totally disagree. Like, we couldn't be more polarised. This is one of the best ideas a beginner can try to implement! Why? Because the base palette is already there, so the fundmentals of colour theory are there for you to experiment with. And learning how light affects colour (in this case, figuring out how the sky colour/time of day affects all other palette entries) will strengthen the colour theory in general anyway. And I'm biased because S-Factor's first zone, Spectra Valley, started as a sunset edit of GHZ. :3

EDITS TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS
These are colour edits that I've never once seen done well. They mostly aren't used by experienced hackers.

I. Making the grass some weird ass colour. It seems that only shades of green fit for grass because, well, it's grass, stupid. Making weird coloured grass makes your hack look too odd, people won't be familiar with weird colours, therefore, people will subconciously lose interest in it. It'll look like Sonic is on some alien planet.

Palmtree Panic Bad Future is an in-canon example of you being wrong there. It can work in context.

II. Grey ANYWHERE. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Grey checkers in Green Hill? NO. Grey Marble? "OH but it's a castle stage" FUCK YOU MAKE IT BRICK. Grey Springyard? NO. Labyrinth? NO. Starlight? NO. The only exceptions to this are, in fact, the mechanical stages. There it will look cool.

Star Light is mechanical, man. Also, as long as the grey is complemented and/or contrasted with an otherwise decent colour selection, it can work as well as any other hue. It is as valid as any other.

One strategy I use for basic palette editing is starting with the darkest colour, then working my way up. Learning how darker colours contrast with the lighter ones can really help you when you're wondering what kind of feel you want going on in your level.

Don't do this. Seriously. Start with the base colour as a mid-tone, and then work out the highlights based on the colour of the light source or sky. Then work out the shadows based on the complementary colour; and NOT one from a RYB colourwheel - we're dealing with light here so it's RGB or GTFO. Shadows of a colour are generally a lot stronger than simply making the base colour step slowly to black.

But all in all, as I said above, it's all a matter of preference. What you choose to make of this guide is up to, well, you.

On this I do agree. Nice try for a helpful post, but I dare say a better understanding of colour theory in general would be better than following these tips.

#17 User is offline Matwek 

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostJayextee, on 26 January 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

One strategy I use for basic palette editing is starting with the darkest colour, then working my way up. Learning how darker colours contrast with the lighter ones can really help you when you're wondering what kind of feel you want going on in your level.

Don't do this. Seriously. Start with the base colour as a mid-tone, and then work out the highlights based on the colour of the light source or sky. Then work out the shadows based on the complementary colour; and NOT one from a RYB colourwheel - we're dealing with light here so it's RGB or GTFO. Shadows of a colour are generally a lot stronger than simply making the base colour step slowly to black.

Yeah I'll have to agree with this one. Most of the time my "light" and "shadow" colours are completly different to the base colour. I mean take standard grass for an example, its mostly green but I would usually end up using a dark blue or red for the shadow.
On occasions my shadows have even been lighter than the base colour but because they're a complementary colour it works

#18 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

• THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Wiki edits:7
Im not an big art connoisseur but when I read guide to good palette editing I expected a bit of info into Color Theory. Your post reeks of baseless ranting and unfounded opinions. Saying x is bad because it makes you look like y, or doing z to this will make it suck is no way to do a guide. Keep in mind a palette guide is not a bad idea by any means but as it is right now it needs work, but please delete this thread and make it again when you have a better made guide.
This post has been edited by Epsilonsama: 09 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

#19 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

• Project:helping a local rock band; still a big Sonic & video game fan
I don't think Nineko would appreciate what you said about Good Morning Zone. I know exactly what Star Light Zone edit you were talking about. I think what I liked best about that hack was the speed cap removal.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users