Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: New sprite mappings editor? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

New sprite mappings editor? or not

#16 User is offline FeliciaVal 

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

+1 for SonSpr, sounds good to me :)
also it would be possible for a rotating feature? you know, 45º, 180º and so on. I know SonMapEd can rotate 90º (or something like that', can't remember) but it's a hassle that you have to use another editor to make the rotations and fix them and bla bla bla. Not sure if that's possible or not, but just throwing out ideas.

#17 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

View PostMainMemory, on 17 January 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

If it works with SonLVL it'll work with this, otherwise feel free to send me some.

I decided to check, and I can say -- even before you started writing your mappings editor, it is already better than SonMapEd :-)

View PostMainMemory, on 17 January 2012 - 01:08 AM, said:

View Postflamewing, on 16 January 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

Also, support for the custom DPLC scheme of S2 special stage sprites.

I am unaware of how that works.

Sonic, Tails and Tails' tails share the same mappings in stock S2 special stage. The first $24 frames are almost normal DPLCs -- the difference being that the tile offset is pre-shifted 4 bits to the left compared to a normal DPLC. The last $15 frames are also pre-shifted like this, but they also have a small optimization -- they have only one DPLC entry, and so they don't include the word with the DPLC count for that frame.

There is then the issue that the DPLC load art from different locations on RAM depending on the range of frames in question... and this isn't reflected on the DPLCs themselves, but is hard-coded in the art loading functions for Sonic, Tails and Tails' tails. Specifically, it goes like this:
  • Frames 0 to 3: Sonic walking upright, DPLC starts at tile $000;
  • frames 4 to $B: Sonic walking diagonally, DPLC starts at tile $058;
  • frames $C to $F: Sonic walking sideways, DPLC starts at tile $124;
  • frames $10 to $11: Sonic in ball form, DPLC starts at tile $171;
  • frames $12 to $15: Tails walking upright, DPLC starts at tile $183;
  • frames $16 to $1D: Tails walking diagonally, DPLC starts at tile $1C0;
  • frames $1E to $21: Tails walking sideways, DPLC starts at tile $264;
  • frames $22 to $23: Tails in ball form, DPLC starts at tile $29E;
  • frames $24 to $2A: Tails' tails whan walking upright, DPLC starts at tile $2AE;
  • frames $2B to $31: Tails' tails when walking diagonally, DPLC starts at tile $2E3;
  • frames $32 and up: Tails' tails when walking sideways, DPLC starts at tile $31E.
Midway through writing this, I thought that it would be best if, instead of implementing this into your mappings editor, I were to write a tutorial on how to convert the S2 special stage mappings/DPLC/art loading functions into their more standard versions and let this thing be forgotten...I decided to finish the post anyway just so this information is explicitly written out somewhere.

#18 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
tl;dr, Something like Sonik Sprite except will full working features and a zoom tool would be very nice :V

#19 User is offline Donnyku 

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

• yay
  • Project:Pony Sprites
  • Wiki edits:2
being able to actually edit the sprites from the software would be a nice touch, you would only really need a "pencil" tool

#20 User is offline Aquaslash 

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

• Super Mega
  • Project:The S Factor: Sonia and Silver
  • Wiki edits:1,144

View PostFeliciaVal, on 19 January 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

also it would be possible for a rotating feature? you know, 45º, 180º and so on. I know SonMapEd can rotate 90º (or something like that', can't remember) but it's a hassle that you have to use another editor to make the rotations and fix them and bla bla bla. Not sure if that's possible or not, but just throwing out ideas.

You'd have to clean up the sprites either way.

#21 User is offline FeliciaVal 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

View PostAquaslash, on 19 January 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

I was just throwing ideas as I said :/

#22 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:56 AM

View PostAquaslash, on 19 January 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

View PostDonnyku, on 19 January 2012 - 06:15 PM, said:

being able to actually edit the sprites from the software would be a nice touch, you would only really need a "pencil" tool

This would make things nicer. Wouldn't have to resort to rotating it with another program, editing it, then reimporting it. You just rotate, clean it up, and get rid of any useless tiles in the same program.

#23 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Weren't the rotated sprites made with Rotsprite good enough in most cases?

I remember they looked way better than rotating them by hand.

#24 User is offline MKAmeX 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

• Project:Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
  • Wiki edits:7
I'm not the most technical person here so I wouldn't know how you would go about doing it, but I think it would be great to implement a way to edit the enigma mapping in the same way you would go about editing nemesis mappings. I know there is PlaneED for that, but I could just never get that working and it'd be a big plus in this case, to be able to edit the title and sega screens all in one program.

#25 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
If it's not been mentioned already, Red Crimson would appreciate support for the Streets of Rage games. I was just quickly scanning through the topic so I dunno if it's been mentioned or not.
This post has been edited by Glisp: 20 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

#26 User is offline Chimpo 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostICEknight, on 20 January 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Weren't the rotated sprites made with Rotsprite good enough in most cases?

I remember they looked way better than rotating them by hand.

They still required some slight tweaking, but not as much if you rotate it through any other program like Graphics Gale or Photoshop.

Sample images from the original thread.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
For rotation to work, the program would have to turn the sprite into a bitmap, rotate the bitmap, then generate new tiles and mappings from that bitmap. And I really don't think I can do rotation for anything other than 90° and have it not look terrible.

I am not going to try to shove plane mappings into a sprite mappings editor. However, a separate plane mappings editor is a possibility.

As much as I like the SoR games, I'm not trying to make a general MD sprite mappings editor here. Also I don't know anything about the formats they use, and if anything is compressed somebody will have to make a .NET library for me to use (like KENSSharp).

#28 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:59 PM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
I also want to see a revamped and better done in general sonik sprite, I'll love that

#29 User is offline The Game Collector 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

• Project:helping a local rock band; still a big Sonic & video game fan
Yeah Sonik Sprite has never worked correctly for me. I tried to save my work only for it to save as a gray box for half the image. Probably because I can't figure out how to install that one MSCOMCTL.OCX file that is required for it to work. When I try to open it, it says there is no program to associate it with.
This post has been edited by The Game Collector: 26 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

#30 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Goddamn I'd love for you to hop on that MainMemory. I can't stand SonMapEd. Not a knock on the original author of it but it just isn't all that intuitive for someone just looking to dick around with stuff.
This post has been edited by AerosolSP: 26 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users