Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 274 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion Electric Bogaloo

#91 User is offline Azukara 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

• Don't let's start!
  • Project:Sonic World Runner
  • Wiki edits:27
Not getting my hopes up, but I wonder if Episode 2 may actually have modeled levels, ala Generations 3DS. "New graphics engine" could end up implying that, but it's an idea I doubt more than anything.

I guess the statements Ken made about not standing on walls and not uncurling guarantee that it's using the same improvements given in Gens3DS. Hopefully they keep improving it from there as well.
This post has been edited by Azukara: 29 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

#92 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46
While the first Sonic 4 wasn't as big a problem for me as it was for others, on the flip side they raised the bar for themselves with Generations.

Needless to say, I'm not getting this game unless it conclusively shows it can at the very least match Generations. Otherwise I have better uses of my time than being disappointed yet again.

#93 User is offline Josh 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

• YRG Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Y'know what? I'm gonna be the optimist here. I'm gonna say they really have listened well, and this game will at the very least HANDLE either like Classic Sonic in Generations 3DS. I mean, assuming it's being made by DIMPS again, there's no good reason for it not to, right?

I'm also gonna agree with what someone said a few pages back and theorize that the reason they're not showing us anything right off is because they want to save the big reveal that classic Sonic is back again for February 2.

Wild speculation here, but if this is still three episodes, I think it would be cool to have episode 1 be modern's outing, then tie it into Sonic CD through some kind of use of a PAST signpost and have episode 2 be classic. Episode 3 could feature them both, maybe?

The point is, while I'm not NEARLY as excited for what this could mean as I was when Sonic 4 was originally announced, I'm still gonna take Coco's advice and Not Be Cynical. Sega's improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years, taking the series in a cavalcade of Right Directions. I look for this to be another.

#94 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

• "We'll Be Like Torches! Torches Together!"

View PostJosh, on 29 December 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Y'know what? I'm gonna be the optimist here. I'm gonna say they really have listened well, and this game will at the very least HANDLE either like Classic Sonic in Generations 3DS. I mean, assuming it's being made by DIMPS again, there's no good reason for it not to, right?

I'm also gonna agree with what someone said a few pages back and theorize that the reason they're not showing us anything right off is because they want to save the big reveal that classic Sonic is back again for February 2.

Wild speculation here, but if this is still three episodes, I think it would be cool to have episode 1 be modern's outing, then tie it into Sonic CD through some kind of use of a PAST signpost and have episode 2 be classic. Episode 3 could feature them both, maybe?

The point is, while I'm not NEARLY as excited for what this could mean as I was when Sonic 4 was originally announced, I'm still gonna take Coco's advice and Not Be Cynical. Sega's improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years, taking the series in a cavalcade of Right Directions. I look for this to be another.

I agree with pretty much everything you just said. Sega has at least earned us giving them the benefit of the doubt. It was Sonic 4 that kicked off the resurgence of quality that was Colors, Generations, All-Stars, Sonic CD re-issue etc. I'll stay optimistic about this.

However, I remain cautiously wary. Particularly because they can claim improved physics as much as they want; but if they don't make it less automated then we're still left where we were before. I don't want to see ANY speed-boosters unless it directly has to do with the theme of the zone, ala Sky Canyon in Sonic Advance 2 with the fans, which added at least a different element to the concept. No more copy paste Chemical Plant style boosters everywhere like Ep. 1.

#95 User is offline Nova 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

• Doubleplus Masculine
  • Wiki edits:17
Aside from the improved graphics and physics, I'm also just hoping for something that's not a retread of old levels we've played a million times over. I wouldn't mind if they'd fit them to certain tropes but Episode 1 seemed to be certain levels of Sonic 1 and 2 in HD.

I also liked how Ken emphasized 'physics engine' when speaking in that interview. Like, they recognized it was a major problem, in my mind. I'm cautiously optimistic about this, for now.

#96 User is offline Kogen 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

• Derp
  • Project:Last Party on the Moon
  • Wiki edits:28
They already mentioned that the second game will have new zones. The first game was supposed to reintroduce people to older, familiar themes.

#97 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

• Sentient Cash Register

View PostSpeedStarTMQ, on 29 December 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Sonic 4 was the length of Sonic 3, so I can't really complain.

Except no it wasn't. Sure, they each had twelve acts, but the acts in Sonic 3 were generally MUCH longer. Not to mention, Sonic 3 had thirteen bosses, and Sonic 4 Ep1 only had five, plus the first four repeated.

#98 User is offline jasonchrist 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

• Give Us A Wank
  • Project:Sonic Classic Hybrid Project

View PostKogen, on 29 December 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

They already mentioned that the second game will have new zones. The first game was supposed to reintroduce people to older, familiar themes.

They only mentioned "new zones" when we collectively called out for their blatant, lazy rehashing. If enough of us said nothing, we'd be seeing more rehashed zones now for episode 2. For them to pretend it was always their intention to create new zones just makes them a bunch of lying, arse covering fuckwits.

Anyway, yeah... Episode 2. Cautiously optimistic for the news of the new physics engine, but then again I wonder if they have learned their lesson. Who the fuck wants to see a trailer in the exact style of the ones that reminds them of what a crushing disappointment and complete scam Episode 1 was? God I hate that cunting music they use in Sonic 4 trailers!

#99 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

• Sentient Cash Register

View Postjasonchrist, on 29 December 2011 - 08:00 PM, said:

Cautiously optimistic for the news of the new physics engine, but then again I wonder if they have learned their lesson

My thought is that Dimps tends to be lazy. I think we'll see new physics, but only because Sonic Generations 3DS already had them.

#100 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

• Cat-herder
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Ken's moustache was ridiculous. A+ for effort, but dude... you looked like a pillock. =P

While "new graphics engine" could mean absolutely anything (from a new lighting engine all the way to just redrawing sprites), I'm really hoping "new physics engine" means they're using the one from Generations 3DS - there is zero excuse, Dimps made the damn thing and so have all the code already! One interesting omission - no mention about music at all, but after Sega producing material like this and this for Generations, they really have no excuse any more for not being able to produce decent tunes with a classic instrument vibe.

#101 User is offline Afro Thunder 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

• Call Da Doctor!
  • Project:Making Instrumentals

View PostOverlord, on 29 December 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

Ken's moustache was ridiculous. A+ for effort, but dude... you looked like a pillock. =P

If only he used it during November. Then he would've been able to participate in Movember, and shamelessly promote Generations at the same time. :v:

Anyway, I'll throw in my two pence here: While I never truly played Episode I outside of a demo, I've seen a lot of it in action. And let me tell you, that was enough to convince me not to unlock the full game. Criticisms aside, the physics weren't that bad, though they definitely could've improved it greatly. Since I never played the full game, I won't get into detail about levels.

My main worry is the music. I'm a guy who loves music, and VGM is no exception to this. When I heard the full soundtrack for Sonic 4, I was less inclined to buy it even more. I know the guy who composed the music (not sure if it was Jun Senoue or someone else) had better taste than what he did for Episode I, so I hope to hear better music in this installment.

Another thing, while the game itself wasn't truly bad, a lot of you gripe about it like it was either 2K6, or a 1:1 remake of Shaq-Fu using a shittier engine and graphics than the original did.

I mean, Sonic 4 definitely isn't great, but it's a helluva lot better than those two titanic disasters.
This post has been edited by Afro Thunder: 29 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

#102 User is offline Rokkan 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

• Wiki edits:4
Making the gameplay not be a mess is not going to magically fix all the problems of Sonic 4. It can be built upon the same engine of Sonic 2 or Sonic 3, it's still going to be mediocre if the game isn't designed around them, and if the level design and overall game is going to be the same completely uninteresting shit like it was on Episode I, Sonic Colors DS, and Sonic Generations 3DS.

Not to mention Sonic 4 was the first Sonic game in years to do the impossible and have an actual terrible soundtrack. Please don't let it be the same pseudo-Genesis trying-too-hard-to-be-(insert zone of Sonic 1/2) bullshit and also let Naofumi Hataya compose part of it.

#103 User is offline Kogen 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

• Derp
  • Project:Last Party on the Moon
  • Wiki edits:28
There was nothing wrong with Ken's moustache (rather his muttonchops). That was the most creative thing I have seen come out of SEGA of America in the last decade. I respect Ken now. This is exactly the direction I want to see SEGA go in.

#104 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostOverlord, on 29 December 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

One interesting omission - no mention about music at all, but after Sega producing material like this and this for Generations, they really have no excuse any more for not being able to produce decent tunes with a classic instrument vibe.

The fact that this game is supposed to feature original content isn't a good excuse? Won't be able to dub over tracks composed 18 years ago by competent people for this!

#105 User is offline OKei 

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

• OKeijiDragon
  • Project:My MOTHER-fucking-3 Documentary, 60FPS videos (YAY!)
  • Wiki edits:11
Episode 2 isn't coming to Wii. =(

Coming from SEGA's Ken Balough...

Because making money is a horrible reason to do something. You uhhh volunteer your time at your job right?

But no - the reason Episode I was on the Wii was because we wanted to bring the Sonic 4 saga to the widest possible audience. Episode II unfortunately will not be coming to the Wii - for reasons most people have probably guessed, but that doesn't mean the SEGA isn't supporting Nintendo platforms, we have a very strong partnership and will continue to do so.

• 274 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users