Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...
 

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion Electric Bogaloo

#1441 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

  • THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Posts: 592
  • Joined: 15-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth
  • Wiki edits:7

View PostTheInvisibleSun, on 24 February 2012 - 11:35 PM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 24 February 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Only one game ever did it right, and they never did it again.


It's sad how everyone always forgets all of the good things Black Knight did, because of the broken sword mechanic.

I really want to hack it one day and fix this...


That game did multiple characters right and when I mean right I mean that we ended up using Knuckles in all the levels he could play because you could skip all the useless sword fights.

#1442 User is offline Kogen 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

  • Derp
  • Posts: 628
  • Joined: 16-February 04
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Bouvet Island
  • Project:Last Party on the Moon
  • Wiki edits:28

View PostChaos Rush, on 25 February 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

I'm just curious, but does anyone else think that the Sun/Moon medals in Unleashed HD are a predecessor to the Red Rings? Because I didn't get an HD console until last month, I played Colors before I got to play Unleashed HD (I've played Unleashed Wii before, but that doesn't count since that game is horrible and I consider the Wii version to be a laughable joke fangame by Dimps). So when I was hunting for Sun/Moon medals on Unleashed (PS3), I was immediately reminded of Red Ring hunting in Colors.

They got it from Yoshi's Island on SNES. Basically someone decided 'fuck it, no one buys our garbage, we should just steal half-assed Nintendo ideas, idiots like that.'

View PostAerosolSP, on 25 February 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Buying a game gear game doesn't tell Sega to make more games like it. It tells Sega that you like rebuying shit they've already made.

Think like a businessman, not a consumer!

They made Sonic 4 due to sales of Sonic emulations on 360 and Wii. So they get it, but the end result is wrong. Poor developers, essentially.

View PostAerosolSP, on 25 February 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

What if...

what if it just means "switch to Tails 50 times"? Oh god I think I'll piss everywhere laughing if that's it.

Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!
Leave it to me!

#1443 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

  • Posts: 1354
  • Joined: 30-December 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
I find it hilarious how much people have their heads stuck up their asses. All we've seen are screenshots, which look pretty good so far, and a short teaser trailer which shows minimal level design and more so just how the game itself functions. Yet people are saying, don't buy S4, baww one sound effect is off so the entire game must suck, baww, baww. This kind of attitude is ridiculous. Wait until the game is out, look at actual gameplay, or better play it yourself, THEN judge it. That's usually how judging things works. You try it, then you decide. You don't decide off of 15 seconds and some screenshots. Holy fuck people, calm your tits.

#1444 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

  • Posts: 596
  • Joined: 05-October 04
  • Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15

View PostIrixion, on 25 February 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I find it hilarious how much people have their heads stuck up their asses. All we've seen are screenshots, which look pretty good so far, and a short teaser trailer which shows minimal level design and more so just how the game itself functions. Yet people are saying, don't buy S4, baww one sound effect is off so the entire game must suck, baww, baww. This kind of attitude is ridiculous. Wait until the game is out, look at actual gameplay, or better play it yourself, THEN judge it. That's usually how judging things works. You try it, then you decide. You don't decide off of 15 seconds and some screenshots. Holy fuck people, calm your tits.


I think people have every right to voice their disdain with trailers just as they do to voice their excitement. One of the functions of trailers and show floor demos for game developers apart from creating brand awareness is to gauge reaction. While it can suck/be fun to have to deal with nerd-rage comments it's better than having no reaction at all and be left wondering why a game didn't do as well as it could have.

The feedback may not even be useful for the game, but rather what they decide to show in the future for example.
This post has been edited by The Taxman: 25 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

#1445 User is offline jasonchrist 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

  • Give Us A Wank
  • Posts: 1893
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Classic Hybrid Project

View PostThe Taxman, on 25 February 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

View PostIrixion, on 25 February 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I find it hilarious how much people have their heads stuck up their asses. All we've seen are screenshots, which look pretty good so far, and a short teaser trailer which shows minimal level design and more so just how the game itself functions. Yet people are saying, don't buy S4, baww one sound effect is off so the entire game must suck, baww, baww. This kind of attitude is ridiculous. Wait until the game is out, look at actual gameplay, or better play it yourself, THEN judge it. That's usually how judging things works. You try it, then you decide. You don't decide off of 15 seconds and some screenshots. Holy fuck people, calm your tits.


I think people have every right to voice their disdain with trailers just as they do to voice their excitement. One of the functions of trailers and show floor demos for game developers apart from creating brand awareness is to gauge reaction. While it can suck/be fun to have to deal with nerd-rage comments it's better than having no reaction at all and be left wondering why a game didn't do as well as it could have.

The feedback may not even be useful for the game, but rather what they decide to show in the future for example.

Without coming across like I'm sucking your cock (which as a straight dude I would gladly do), you should have been their go-to guy for Sonic 4 as soon as they saw your proof of concept.

#1446 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

  • Posts: 2818
  • Joined: 13-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birthplace of Lara Croft
  • Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostIrixion, on 25 February 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I find it hilarious how much people have their heads stuck up their asses. All we've seen are screenshots, which look pretty good so far, and a short teaser trailer which shows minimal level design and more so just how the game itself functions. Yet people are saying, don't buy S4, baww one sound effect is off so the entire game must suck, baww, baww. This kind of attitude is ridiculous. Wait until the game is out, look at actual gameplay, or better play it yourself, THEN judge it. That's usually how judging things works. You try it, then you decide. You don't decide off of 15 seconds and some screenshots. Holy fuck people, calm your tits.


More than ever fans will be critical because Sega asked for feedback over Sonic 4 and they know the backlash they will get if they tried to sell it off like Episode 1 saying that they are going back to the classics and don't deliver the goods.

Man why do I keep explaining myself I should just post that video.



This summed up nearly everything for me and I really thought they were really going to take on board the major issues we had. Some of the things I really wanted (like new Badniks, original levels) were answered and I commend them for them (except the reuse of two Badniks I've seen and that one level which has pissed me off because it's a carbon copy and not a trope) but we shouldn't have to spell it out for them in the first place, ya know the originals should set the standard for them to base their work off. I feel sorry for Ken and Aaron because even though they would have done their best to get the feedback to the developers, they still have to go and sell the new product the way they are told to even if they know what they are saying isn't true. I truly believed that Sega were dead serious about getting it right, making something that is a genuine labour of love but it wasn't the case. And it narks me off even more that we keep on getting this shovelware when they could be spending their time and resources on doing something that is real quality. And that's where my issue is, Sonic 4 Episode 2 is not a quality product and you can tell that by watching that trailer.

#1447 User is offline jasonchrist 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

  • Give Us A Wank
  • Posts: 1893
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
Yeah, they REALLY should refund the expenses of everyone who took the time to travel to that pointless waste of time. I feel for them.

At this point, even if the game turns out "great for what it is" (hint: it won't), I'd never buy it on principle. I do NOT deal with liars, and this has been one big circus of spin, lies and deception from the get go. The people involved not only don't deserve our money, but I hope their children starve through abysmal Episode 2 sales. That would fucking teach them!

#1448 User is offline Jason 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

  • *Results not lab tested.
  • Posts: 1011
  • Joined: 20-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Clarksburg, MD
Any chance I could convince you to take a deep breath, maybe two, and think about what that last couple of lines you typed was for a game based on a trailer and screenshots alone not up to your measure of a quality Sonic game, and with that thought at least rephrase your outrage, jasonchrist?
This post has been edited by Jason: 25 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

#1449 User is offline jasonchrist 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

  • Give Us A Wank
  • Posts: 1893
  • Joined: 22-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Classic Hybrid Project

View PostJason, on 25 February 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Any chance I could convince you to take a deep breath, maybe two, and think about what that last couple of lines you typed was for a game based on a trailer and screenshots alone not up to your measure of a quality Sonic game, and with that thought at least rephrase your outrage, jasonchrist?

I hope their children go without toys and treats for a year.

Better?

#1450 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

  • I abuse text smilies way too much.
  • Posts: 3871
  • Joined: 05-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Art Assets for a Game Project
  • Wiki edits:2
I don't feel I've seen enough to really have much of a judgement on things like the physics, level design, etc. Only thing that really, really pisses me off is the fact Tails isn't playable in single player. One of the reasons I'm so pissed about it is the fact they put such a big emphasis on him returning only to be all, "Oh, btw, no Tails in single player." Hell, the fucking teaser trailer logo has two tails in it. I haven't seen SEGA make such a big deal about Tails since the Genesis era so you would think people would be able to play as him in the single player, but someone at SEGA decided to not give us that option for whatever stupid reason. There is no logical reasons why Tails isn't playable, it makes absolutely no sense. If it's because the level design has a big emphasis on homing attack chains, then they just need to modify the level design since I don't think that shit sits well with anyone.

View PostKogen, on 24 February 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

They gave up on multiple characters after the backlash against Heroes, Shadow, and 06. The imbeciles at Sonic Team think that Shadow, Silver, and Bonkers the Cat are just as bad as Tails and Knuckles, so they got rid of all of them. Iizuka brought it up many times in interviews.

I agree that no Tails and somewhat no Knuckles have made the games far shallower and killed off what long-time fans have enjoyed, but I do not think Tails is following that cycle this time. They are making the game specifically co-op, so it makes sense in this context. I view it as controlling both characters at once, not as Tails simply being there for the sake of it. Like some others said, play Sonic CD if you want to play a new release with Tails only.

My only other advice here is to find a friend to play with to play as Tails. That is what I intend to do, assuming the game is not AIDS quality.

I don't view it as playing them both at the same time, I view it as playing as Sonic with help from Tails which is similar to what happened to DKCR. Thing is, I hate DKCR because of its motion controls and lack of ability to play as Diddy Kong in single player. So as you can imagine, that just makes me angrier that I'll only be able to play as Tails when I play with friends. Not to mention one of my friends doesn't like playing Sonic games as Sonic and lost interest in this game just because Tails isn't playable in single player. Also, Sonic CD is an old as hell game. I want to play a brand new Sonic game as Tails plus I prefer single player games over multiplayer or co-op.

Edit-

View Postjasonchrist, on 25 February 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

The people involved not only don't deserve our money, but I hope their children starve through abysmal Episode 2 sales. That would fucking teach them!

When I first read this, I thought, "Christ, that guy is an ass." Then I realized some irony in that thought and lol'd.
This post has been edited by W.A.C.: 25 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

#1451 User is offline Mystical Ninja 

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

  • For old time's sake.
  • Posts: 3320
  • Joined: 21-April 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Castle, Delaware
  • Project:Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
  • Wiki edits:282

View PostW.A.C., on 25 February 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

I don't feel I've seen enough to really have much of a judgement on things like the physics, level design, etc. Only thing that really, really pisses me off is the fact Tails isn't playable in single player. One of the reasons I'm so pissed about it is the fact they put such a big emphasis on him returning only to be all, "Oh, btw, no Tails in single player." Hell, the fucking teaser trailer logo has two tails in it. I haven't seen SEGA make such a big deal about Tails since the Genesis era so you would think people would be able to play as him in the single player, but someone at SEGA decided to not give us that option for whatever stupid reason. There is no logical reasons why Tails isn't playable, it makes absolutely no sense. If it's because the level design has a big emphasis on homing attack chains, then they just need to modify the level design since I don't think that shit sits well with anyone.

My thoughts exactly. Talk about false advertisement.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's gotten sick of the whole "only Sonic should be playable" thing that's been going on for the past five years, starting with Sonic Wildfire/Sonic & the Secret Secret Rings. I was able to tolerate it just fine before, but now it's getting old. Thanks to all the classic fanboys' constant nitpicking and complaining about "shitty friends" and whatnot, it doesn't look as if they ever have any intention of making any character besides Sonic fully playable again, not even Tails and Knuckles.
This post has been edited by Mystical Ninja: 25 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

#1452 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

  • I abuse text smilies way too much.
  • Posts: 3871
  • Joined: 05-April 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California
  • Project:Art Assets for a Game Project
  • Wiki edits:2
I blame reviewers. A lot of them bitched about the fact they only want to play as Sonic and so that's what they got. Problem is that some of the other characters in the series are definitely worth using in future games as playable characters, but Sonic Team has done an awful job in all of the 3D games when it came to implementing other characters. The only massive exception was Shadow in SA2, but he played nearly identical to Sonic. I did enjoy E-102 Gamma's gameplay at the time though.
This post has been edited by W.A.C.: 26 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

#1453 User is offline RhinestoneCircuit 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

  • *thoughts*
  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: 22-October 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Living in the City
There's always that moment when we analyze something we find everything, even if the time is as short as a few seconds. A full minute + of gameplay and there still doesn't seem to much improvement.

And then someone points this out

Quote

Posted Image
Sonic is getting ready for a Spin Dash. Notice though that Tails has already rolled down an incline

Posted Image
This is where Sonic releases his Spin Dash and Tails has gone up the Incline already

Posted Image
This is the highest each one got.
Notice that Tails is higher after going down the incline?


I think it's looking better now.

#1454 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:59 AM

  • FML and FU2
  • Posts: 6884
  • Joined: 27-April 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Not where I want to be.
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I love how noone talked about that for like, two fucking pages, instead opting to argue over whether Sylvania Castle is a reference to Castlevania or not.

#1455 User is offline DalekSam 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

  • dubstep extrodinaire
  • Posts: 1811
  • Joined: 19-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern Ireland, Belfast
  • Project:Sonic Thrash, Amphobius
  • Wiki edits:165
That looks like momentum to me, guys.

You know. That thing you've been bickering about it's so-called nonexistence. Well, here's some humble pie. Go eat it.

  • 274 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  • 98
  • 99
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users