Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 274 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 82
  • 83
  • 84
  • 85
  • 86
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion Electric Bogaloo

#1246 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

  • Posts: 2901
  • Joined: 13-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birthplace of Lara Croft
  • Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.


Please don't make me want to beat you like a dead horse for saying that. The latest trailer shows that the Sonic 4 series will never be on par with the classics.

I swear people praise DIMPS like they would do for their halfwit relative for entering an egg and spoon race.
This post has been edited by steveswede: 23 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

#1247 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

  • Posts: 3150
  • Joined: 10-June 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:196

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has anyone noticed that : TAILS CAN NOW CARRY SONIC UNDERWATER???? Also the fact that it's easier than ever to run on water? This is Sonic 4 as I've truly imagined it. Just like the classics, adding new useful move in a subtle manner instead of being over the top. I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.
Their examination being the ability to copy moves that already existed in the previous game? Well, OK.

#1248 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

  • Coucou
  • Posts: 1546
  • Joined: 16-August 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France
  • Project:iOS Game
Hey, I'm sorry to say that, but don't get too excited, it's gonna be Episode I again, and you'll eventually be disapointed :
Posted Image
Boosters, useless spring chains, spamming homing attack, automated gameplay, poor level design, etc...
I know it's a short video footage, but don't be fooled :
It's the same shit again, but they're trying to make you think it's not, that's all.

#1249 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

  • Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Posts: 2871
  • Joined: 23-November 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  • Wiki edits:5

View Poststeveswede, on 23 February 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.


Please don't make me want to beat you like a dead horse for saying that. The latest trailer shows that the Sonic 4 series will never be on par with the classics.

I swear people praise DIMPS like they would do for their halfwit relative for entering an egg and spoon race.



Some people will never be satisfied. If these boards existed back when Sonic 3 came out, it would be the Same Shit on a Different Day. People would moan and groan and complain about how 1 and 2 are far superior due to X, Y, and Z. I had some complaints about it when it first came out, ESPECIALLY for the fact that it was half a game which was advertised as a FULL ONE. Lest ye forget how things went down BEFORE we ever had a voice. Some concerns of Ep1 are legitimate but others are just due to the changing of the times....especially 16 years after the fact.

I for one am happy that this game doesn't play EXACTLY like Sonic 2. That would be boring as fuck these days. Megamix did an excellent job of filling that "What If?" gap, and implemented the homing attack in a grand fashion! I never heard any complaints about that.

#1250 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

  • True Blue
  • Posts: 2403
  • Joined: 27-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wherever life takes me...
  • Wiki edits:3,086

View Postdsrb, on 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has anyone noticed that : TAILS CAN NOW CARRY SONIC UNDERWATER???? Also the fact that it's easier than ever to run on water? This is Sonic 4 as I've truly imagined it. Just like the classics, adding new useful move in a subtle manner instead of being over the top. I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.
Their examination being the ability to copy moves that already existed in the previous game? Well, OK.

Well to be fair, he couldn't move with Sonic underwater. He would tire out if you grabbed Tails underwater.

This game seems to change that by letting his tails work like a propeller underwater, which makes sense since he can do it much faster in the air and fly.

On the note of the trailer, I am definitely optimistic. I figured we would be getting another 5 second trailer. Nope, when I saw it was one minute long I was very happy. The actual gameplay still looks very Dimp-sy with its speed boosters (NOOOOooooo) and numerous springs, BUT on the positive side the graphics have been overhauled, uncurling HAS been fixed, Sonic doesn't stop on a dime anymore, and the co-op stuff looks to be very fun indeed.

It looks worth $10...not 15. Although I don't think there is much hope for that one...

#1251 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

  • Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Posts: 2871
  • Joined: 23-November 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ft. Lauderdale, FL
  • Wiki edits:5

View Postdsrb, on 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has anyone noticed that : TAILS CAN NOW CARRY SONIC UNDERWATER???? Also the fact that it's easier than ever to run on water? This is Sonic 4 as I've truly imagined it. Just like the classics, adding new useful move in a subtle manner instead of being over the top. I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.
Their examination being the ability to copy moves that already existed in the previous game? Well, OK.



So what other game allowed this?

#1252 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

  • DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Posts: 7883
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
I never had any major gripes with the Sonic 4 Ep 1 level design save for the automation, bubbles chains, and bottomless pits towards the end of the levels. I'm hoping that they're showing off these parts of the levels because of the "OMG EXCITING ACTION" thing going on with all these spring chains, but this could be the norm. I don't know, and I'm not going to say I do know. I'll simply wait for more info, but from the looks of it right now I like it.

At the very least, I did not see one bubbles chain in that video.

#1253 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

  • Dragon Team
  • Posts: 1095
  • Joined: 23-February 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Spain
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
But the bubbles chains were seen in the initial leaked images, though

#1254 User is offline Azukara 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

  • Don't let's start!
  • Posts: 2755
  • Joined: 17-October 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Meowth's party
  • Project:Sonic World Runner
  • Wiki edits:27
I think it's funny that we saw Bubbles chains in the one level that's half-way based off where he came from:
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Azukara: 23 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

#1255 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

  • Posts: 2901
  • Joined: 13-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Birthplace of Lara Croft
  • Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

View Poststeveswede, on 23 February 2012 - 02:09 PM, said:

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.


Please don't make me want to beat you like a dead horse for saying that. The latest trailer shows that the Sonic 4 series will never be on par with the classics.

I swear people praise DIMPS like they would do for their halfwit relative for entering an egg and spoon race.



Some people will never be satisfied. If these boards existed back when Sonic 3 came out, it would be the Same Shit on a Different Day. People would moan and groan and complain about how 1 and 2 are far superior due to X, Y, and Z. I had some complaints about it when it first came out, ESPECIALLY for the fact that it was half a game which was advertised as a FULL ONE. Lest ye forget how things went down BEFORE we ever had a voice. Some concerns of Ep1 are legitimate but others are just due to the changing of the times....especially 16 years after the fact.

I for one am happy that this game doesn't play EXACTLY like Sonic 2. That would be boring as fuck these days. Megamix did an excellent job of filling that "What If?" gap, and implemented the homing attack in a grand fashion! I never heard any complaints about that.


That's where you are wrong I can be satisfied, you're just satisfied too easily by the sound of it. I have gripes with fundamental issues in the Sonic 4 series and I'm not the only one who can see them. You're saying that DIMPS after taking a decade has finally nailed the classics which is clearly not the case we have seen examining the trailer. I feel you either can't see this or you're deliberately trolling.

Just for the record I don't have an issue with Sonic having a homing attack, you just need a game that requires a use for it without forcing you to use it (Sonic 2 Retro Remix is a great example of this). It sucks in Sonic 4 because it's primarily used for over used bubble chains.
This post has been edited by steveswede: 23 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

#1256 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

  • Cat-herder
  • Posts: 13858
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
More than 15 seconds of footage? I am genuinely surprised.

What's shown certainly looks nice enough, and I'm cautiously optimistic for further bits on this. Looking forward to playing it at SoS =P

#1257 User is offline Jay T. 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

  • Mark Nutt~!
  • Posts: 1427
  • Joined: 26-September 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southern Virginia
I admit while I did enjoy Episode 1 to a degree, there seems to be improvements. I highly, and I mean, HIGHLY doubt Sonic 4 will ever be on par with the Genesis titles, but at this point, as long as the game is fun and I can come back to play it over and over again, I don't care. I'm slightly disappointed the whole curling still happens after a speed booster, but it's something I can look over. I'm personally okay with the whole Homing Attack and Boosters thing, as long as it's not in such a huge quantity as Episode 1 had. It does look like it's not as much, but who knows? Either way, slightly cautious, but at this point, I'm impressed.

#1258 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

  • Posts: 3150
  • Joined: 10-June 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:196

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

View Postdsrb, on 23 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostXCubed, on 23 February 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Has anyone noticed that : TAILS CAN NOW CARRY SONIC UNDERWATER???? Also the fact that it's easier than ever to run on water? This is Sonic 4 as I've truly imagined it. Just like the classics, adding new useful move in a subtle manner instead of being over the top. I think Dimps has finally passed their examination of the classic after taking a DECADE.
Their examination being the ability to copy moves that already existed in the previous game? Well, OK.

So what other game allowed this?

Oh, wait; Sonic 3 only allowed Sonic to grab Tails, but then they both dropped like a stone, rather than being able to swim freely. Disregard my silliness!

Didn't some hack or something allow proper swim-carrying? I don't know what's real any more. :psyduck:
This post has been edited by dsrb: 23 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

#1259 User is offline Chibs 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

  • the worst human on the fuckin' planet
  • Posts: 48
  • Joined: 30-December 06
Yeah, not three seconds of gameplay at all. Just a bunch of 2 second clips placed next to each other in a manner to make you think "IT'S GONNA BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME!" Looks like the same lunky heavy gameplay to me.

#1260 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

  • 2 warps to Neptune
  • Posts: 2429
  • Joined: 27-December 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northumberland, England
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Obviously it's a bit difficult to judge how a game will "feel" just from what can be seen in a gameplay trailer

but it does look as it if it will play an awful lot like Episode 1. Someone else will have to make the comparison videos but the physics look about the same. And I still think the levels look worse.


If it were a true successor to Sonic 3 it would be obvious. It isn't.

  • 274 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 82
  • 83
  • 84
  • 85
  • 86
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users