Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Why hasn't SA2 been released for the PC or 360? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Why hasn't SA2 been released for the PC or 360?

#31 User is offline SpeedStarTMQ 

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

• Project:Playing Mass Effect 3 U, anyone up for some online?
  • Wiki edits:5
Let's just say SA2 is a good game. Not perfect, but good. And remember, at the time it had ground breaking graphics, awesome sound, it was long and difficult, had a lot of replay value and homages to previous games, and really ended SEGA's home console Sonic's with a bang. It's aged a bit since the new Sonic's (Unleashed, Colours, Generations) made their debut, mostly because it's difficult to go back to having to control a camera whilst playing at the same time, but it's still a brilliant game.

It is also 10 years old now, that's pretty old for a game, considering 3D games never age as well as 2D ones, which seem to be universal.

I think a lot of negativity was due to the fact that it momentarily steered Sonic in to a Sci-fi style game in the latter half, and was a lot more serious in tone to previous games. The negativity has also greatened since Sonic 2006, so I'm thinking that perhaps people blame SA2 for the direction that took, even though Sonic Heroes was a Retro as you could get.
This post has been edited by SpeedStarTMQ: 27 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

#32 User is offline Prince Lex 

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

I would love to see a port of SA2 on PSN/360/Steam. The part that confuses me is that it's quite easily playable and almost glitch free in real widescreen 720/1080p on Dreamcast and Gamecube emulators. Would it be so hard to transfer this mechanic to a system specific runtime attached to the game's bootfile?

I bought SADX again for the PS3 when it came out on PSN and I was less than impressed. It may not have aged well, but they could have at least allowed you to make the thing fullscreen. Playing in tunnelvision is not my idea of fun.

I much prefer SA2 to SA1 - to me, every aspect of every stage is more fun. Maybe there was some sort of exclusivity agreement when they made SA2:Battle for the Gamecube?

EDIT: Forgot to add; what I want first is S3&K on PSN. Aside from SA2, it's the only main Sonic Title you can't get on the PS3. Annoying. Sonic Heroes doesn't count. :P
This post has been edited by Prince Lex: 03 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

#33 User is offline darkspines35 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

• Project:MaxScript, modeling, and other things >.>
  • Wiki edits:14
So I've been pondering the release of this since they announced the DC digital titles. Recently I've come to conclusions that they're using SA2:B and for one, they need to remove the Nintendo content. Like the Gamecube and Memory Cards in the data select menu at the beginning of the game. Shouldn't be that hard to take care of though. Maybe it's taking awhile for the reason we're all hoping for. Proper porting. Who knows, Sega's in a decent spot right now, so here's hoping to a good port of SA2 if/when it comes.

View PostPrince Lex, on 03 January 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Forgot to add; what I want first is S3&K on PSN.

And I second this.
This post has been edited by darkspines35: 04 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

#34 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
Just buy the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and run it in Dolphin. Works fine with the widescreen hack.

#35 User is offline Kogen 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

• Derp
  • Project:Last Party on the Moon
  • Wiki edits:28
Probably because the quality is something better than Sonic 06 but worse than Sonic Adventure DX. A solid 4/10 type of situation. This of course does not explain why we still have Riders, Heroes, and 3D Blast, but oh well! I suppose crap just gets flung randomly by the chimps over at Sonic Team.

#36 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46
I figure they're looking for the best way to monetize it. Maybe even tie it in with something else. So like with most of their back-catalogue re-releases... who knows?

#37 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostMad Echidna, on 04 January 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Just buy the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and run it in Dolphin. Works fine with the widescreen hack.

Not everybody can run that emulator but everybody practically does have a modern console. and SA2B isn't exactly an easy thing to find now a days in a decent enough condition yeah ebay has pretty dirt cheap deals but in what quality? and is the seller telling the truth? who knows unless you know the seller by heart.

#38 User is offline Tyty 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

• KNUXEDO KAMEN
  • Project:↑ & ↓ & ↻
You can't really run SA2B very well in dolphin unless you have a powerful single-core comp, or do some finagling to get working. It doesn't really play nice with multi-core rendering, at least in my experience.

But hey, all computers are different so *shrug*

EDIT: I'd personally imagine it's mostly the Chao garden holding them back. The reason they ported SA and SADX was because SONIC'S FIRST 3D LOL IMPORTANT. It'd be silly to have a Chao Garden now lacking the transport features, especially with how big they were in SA2/B
This post has been edited by Tyty: 05 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

#39 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostMad Echidna, on 04 January 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Sure, just let me spend $900 to build a PC that can run Dolphin.

And $200 for a Wii. And then a copy of Lego Indiana Jones so I can soft mod it. Oh, and I'll need storage to rip games to. Because, you know, Gamecube discs are a proprietary format, meaning you can't just put the disc in to your computer's DVD drive and rip it that way.

And it's not like pirating an ISO eliminates the most expensive part of this process, either!

#40 User is offline Metal Man88 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

• Time Traveller
  • Wiki edits:46
To be honest, SA2:B on the Wii looks pretty great as-is, especially with progressive scan mode on.

Which is much cheaper and more legal than running it in Dolphin.

For those who require next gen kicks though... yeah, it's probably gonna be a while.

I'd hope they add something to it, too, since otherwise there's little purpose. It's late in the game and people seem to want to forget the era where Sonic started to slide downhill—even if SA2 was sort of part of the peak to begin with...

#41 User is offline Diablohead 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:10 AM

• iDevice developer
  • Project:games
  • Wiki edits:16
THey need to port it so it actually runs in HD, not some windowed shit in low res non widescreen crap that sonic adventure on xbla/pc rerelease was.

needs to keep 60fps too, can't see sega giving two shits about that in a port.

#42 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostTyty, on 05 January 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

You can't really run SA2B very well in dolphin unless you have a powerful single-core comp, or do some finagling to get working. It doesn't really play nice with multi-core rendering, at least in my experience.

But hey, all computers are different so *shrug*

EDIT: I'd personally imagine it's mostly the Chao garden holding them back. The reason they ported SA and SADX was because SONIC'S FIRST 3D LOL IMPORTANT. It'd be silly to have a Chao Garden now lacking the transport features, especially with how big they were in SA2/B

Not sure what you mean, it runs fine with my Corei7 with default settings.

#43 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

• Mesonoxian for no reason other than that it's easier to wake up whenever.
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94

View PostColumind, on 24 December 2011 - 05:38 AM, said:

I'd like to think the SOAP license has something to do with it and Sega are too lazy to take the stuff out of the game.

Heely's bought the rights to SOAP from Artemis innovations in 2003/4. I'm sure if they contacted them, they could strike up another ad campaign with them, especially now, seeing the popularity of parkour.

#44 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

• Что, вы ожидали что-то остроумное?
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
The problem isn't Soap (which no-one cares about and we know they could just do a quick model swap), or the Chao Garden (which despite a vocal minority the majority of people either despise or do not give 2 shits about), the problem is a game that hasn't aged all that well and had issues at the time being ported from a legacy codebase that hasn't been touched for a decade (unlike SA1 which had a PC release as late as 2004, meaning the codebase there was about half the time since being touched) that arguably began an era Sega may well be best off largely ignoring. Heroes onwards at least had the excuse of being built from the start as cross-platform titles and as such were releases at the time on PC - SA2 wasn't, and as much as it will pain people to hear, possibly SHOULDN'T be released now. It'll also cost more money to make (because of aforementioned legacy codebase).

If you want a HD SA2:B, get the aforementioned emulator. It's your best option.

#45 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

• It was a dark and stormy night...
  • Project:making all his nowhere plans for nobody.
  • Wiki edits:1
Overlord hit it right on the head. It wasn't so much that Sonic Adventure 2 never deserved to be ported because of some arbitrary gameplay or cosmetic feature so much as that it was much more convenient to port everything that came after it. They had fresh code and the idea of porting to the PC already in mind for most titles in that era after SADX. Rushing (not optimal considering how many damn patches I still had to apply to DX) to develop SA2:B for the PC market right after DX came out in Japan 2003 would mean it coming at least 2 years after it had already been out, heavily promoted, and sold as SONIC ONLY ON NINTENDO GAMECUBE.

The fact that Sonic Adventure got a re-port in 2010 is largely irrelevant as it's just a recursive port of the one they already pushed out in 2003 and thus would cost nothing to develop. Hell, even as someone who probably played SA2 more than any other Gamecube game I can safely say it's pretty damn dated now and I probably wouldn't buy it unless the community was hacking it to bits or it came packed with another title like Jet Set Radio.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users