Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Lost Graphics in Sonic CD 510 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Lost Graphics in Sonic CD 510 I'll update this topic as I find things

#16 User is offline SegaLoco 

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

• W)(at did you say?
  • Wiki edits:79

View PostDavid The Lurker, on 26 December 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostSegaLoco, on 25 December 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

R2 is a holdover from the game being based on Sonic 1. Stop obsessing over it people. Sonic CD was built from Sonic 1

View PostThe Taxman, on 13 December 2011 - 05:12 AM, said:

I'm really glad Hoshino-san was able to share some of these sketches because you can see quite a few things from the R2 stage which was dropped during development. There's a few enemies (the antlion, worm and other thing), the wheel boss and even the rainbow sketch!

EDIT: Oh also

View PostSik, on 26 December 2011 - 01:49 PM, said:

Wasn't it mentioned once that they scrapped R2 simply because it wasn't good enough? Maybe even this is overthinking =P

http://www.randomson...terviews/jt.htm

>2) In Sonic CD, while porting it, were you ever aware, or did you ever hear
>anything of a possible \R2 directory? The current level structure jumps from
>R1 to R3, and R2, a long-lost missing level, is, of course, not there.

Kakuta-san explained to me the manner in which the games was developed: each level was "owned" (coded and debugged) by a single engineer, so there was a separate engineer for each level (they were in charge of all three "phases" of the level, "past", "present", and "future"). These engineers worked entirely in parallel and independently. Kakuta-san did the "framework" code to "hold all the levels together". He said the original (Genesis version) of the game was done the same way. I asked about the R2 level. Although not explicitly stated, my impression from him is that the designer of level R2 didn't do a very good job, so they left it out of the final product. It was never shipped in any form.

Okay fine whatever, I just want people to shut up. R2 has no trace in this or any dumped beta so don't ask again. If you want R2 go contact the guy from the Sonic 2: Solid Gold Guide or Sega Japan.

#17 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474

View PostSegaLoco, on 27 December 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

Okay fine whatever, I just want people to shut up. R2 has no trace in this or any dumped beta so don't ask again.
Temper temper, while R2 has no trace in any of the betas (most likely due to the nature of how SCD programs are set up, and how they can just leave out the entire program instead of leaving unused code/resources), you made it sound like it never existed period. It did, at one point, in development, and we have proof of that. David was just showing that due to the way you were saying things.

If you want R2 go contact the guy from the Sonic 2: Solid Gold Guide [...]
There was nothing in the Sonic 2: Solid Gold Guide about R2, just the beta of Sonic 2 itself.

#18 User is offline SegaLoco 

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

• W)(at did you say?
  • Wiki edits:79

View PostCinossu, on 27 December 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

Okay fine whatever, I just want people to shut up. R2 has no trace in this or any dumped beta so don't ask again.
Temper temper, while R2 has no trace in any of the betas (most likely due to the nature of how SCD programs are set up, and how they can just leave out the entire program instead of leaving unused code/resources), you made it sound like it never existed period. It did, at one point, in development, and we have proof of that. David was just showing that due to the way you were saying things.

If you want R2 go contact the guy from the Sonic 2: Solid Gold Guide [...]
There was nothing in the Sonic 2: Solid Gold Guide about R2, just the beta of Sonic 2 itself.

There were two shots of an earlier build of Sonic CD than any known dump. This build is later than the earliest I know of but it is earlier than 510 and perhaps is from a build that contained R2 at whatever point in development it was axed (although personally again, I doubt it ever got past a souped up Marble Zone). It had the earlier Time Zone stage programming. As for the build earlier than that, it still had a special stage built on the Sonic 1 special stages, albeit multi layered and taking advantage of Scaling/Rotation.

Edit: And sorry I have a temper but it seems like everyone and their mother pesters me about if I've found R2 in the beta yet and I want to make it absolutely clear that it was obviously much earlier than this build that the level was removed as there is absolutely no trace if it anywhere in the code.
This post has been edited by SegaLoco: 27 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users