don't click here

Sonic Advance Released for Android in Japan

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Graxer, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Graxer

Graxer

Sonic Advance has aparrently been released on the Japanese Android Marketplace. You can see it here. I personally don't have an Android or live in Japan, so this doesn't really affect me. I would certainly make a purchase if it came to the iPhone though (Which I think it very likely will).

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Huh. I wonder what's the new version's resolution.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So is this called "Sonic A" then? :v:

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

More to add to the ever growing list of undocumented mobile games.

5. Willie

Willie

The new screenshots are 800x480, but the sprites are enlarged 3 times their original size.

[​IMG]

Shrunken down, it's 264×158. Considering how the original resolution was 240×160, I assume it wasn't too difficult to increase the resolution's width which makes me wonder why they didn't increase it farther. Having the height resolution at 240 pixels would've been pretty boss.

[​IMG]

6. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Awesome! Yet another port of Sonic Advance. What name will it have?

How the hell can they port this game to all kinds of different hardware? It must be something special with it (like if it was programmed for a neutral system before being ported). The Gameboy Advance hardware is pretty different from cell phones, and Sonic Advance uses a few of my favorite 2D techniques, so I really want to know how they can port this game, and what differences come with it compared to the GBA version. But only if it is a port of the game and not emulated!

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Well, it seems to be free so anyone with a japanese phone could download it and upload the APK somewhere :v:

8. Willie

Willie

Oh, I totally forgot about Sonic N.

[​IMG]

Now I really wonder why the Android version doesn't have a larger resolution.

9. The last great 2D Sonic game before they made it a track race/obstacle course game rather than a platformer.

Coincidentally I was just playing this on my iPhone, gpsphone is the best.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    "This app is incompatible with your O2 Samsung GT-S5830."

If a galaxy ace 800mhz chip can't run what looks like a basic port of sonic advance something is seriously wrong.

I can emulate games to near full frame rate, so what gives, sega?

*edit* trying to install it the error I get is that it's not available in my country, so maybe that's why it says incompatible, hopefully...

11. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

it's a DREAM PARADOX Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    [​IMG]
    Yep. Of course, if you happened upon the APK, you'd surely be able to install it...
    Also, the name of the app on Android Market mentions something about "Puyo Monthly"...

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Yeah it tends to say incompatible even if your device should otherwise be able to run it, I can play several games on my 600MHz X10 Mini that the market lists as incompatible.

As long as the port doesn't require ARMv7 it should be fine.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Since it's a free game, I guess it's okay to ask for a download and instructions on how to install it?

14. Tanks

Tanks

If I can find the .apk I might be able to try it out on my HP Touchpad. I'm pretty sure Cyanogenmod bypasses regional issues, but I can't make any promises.

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I'm quite curious how music would be handled here -- like, if they just use lazy recordings off of the GBA version or some sorta internal MIDI-interpretor or what have you.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And I'm wondering if this is precisely why they made the better sounding versions of the Advance tracks that you can hear in Generations.

17. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Could someone with any of the supported phones (ie: WVGA phones) try it with this?

http://code.google.com/p/market-enabler/

It requires root access and changes the provider id for market purposes.

Open Market Enabler, go to Set custom, write "44010" (docomo) under gsm.sim.operator.numeric and press on "Set to this values", it will ask you for root access and you have to accept.

I tried it myself but my device's resolution (240x320) probably prevents me from downloading it.

18. Granville

Granville

US
    I fully concede that I'm just talking out of my ass here, but I'm wondering if it's just emulated in this case. Meaning perhaps the music is the same. The GBA emulator for Android called Gameboid plays the game perfectly for instance (as well as the other two). But again, I haven't played the game so I can't say yet.

19. celebi23

celebi23

I managed to get it installed on my rooted Nook Color but, when I run it, I get a Sim Error message. Would it be ok if I uploaded the apk since it's a free app?
    edit:
    I finally managed to back up the apk and get it on my computer. Just let me know if it's ok to upload it and I will

20. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    I don't see why it wouldn't be...