SonicGMI used to be a mod installer of its own, but now it's been rehauled as a GUI front-end to CPKREDIR, so users can easily configure the mods they use, their order, and various other settings in an quick and simple interface.
You can make a shortcut to SonicGMI directly to play the game and be able to configure mods easily, but it's not required to launch the game from it for the mods to work!
Download the latest version here.
- Redesigned GUI, added some foolproof conditions for being able to play with mods(such as installing CPKREDIR if mods are enabled)
- Added Online Update support for mods. Mods can now have an update server, so the end users can easily update their mods directly from the program whenever an update is available, without the need of redownloading the whole thing.
- FxPipeline renderer support(AKA the misnamed Unleashed Renderer). Now you can create the alternate renderer exe from SonicGMI, and boot it directly from the program, without having to manually run it from the game's folder. Note this renderer is purely experimental and under constant research, so it might improve and have its bugs ironed out as more discoveries are done. In its current state, it does its purpose just fine, there's only a few visual glitches that can be tolerated sometimes. When new settings are discovered in the EXE, those options will appear in SonicGMI.
- FxPipeline Shaders Mod added, it must be used if the alternate renderer is enabled, as it fixes various glitches present with the regular shaders. These are NOT the shader_s files found before(which had many lacking features, such as gloss map support), these are new, custom fixed shaders by me, that support correct directional shadows, no red tint, and some other stuff. This mod is currently in Beta and updates frequently, which is perfect for showing off the updating feature.
- Ring Cap removal is now supported with the creation of an alternate executable, and has no known issues so far. This will be useful for the Unleashed Project as you can imagine, but feel free to go nuts in your own stages as well.
- Bundled the newest CPKREDIR 0.4.1 version.
Copy the contents of this folder into the folder where SonicGenerations.exe is stored. For example: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic generations\
It doesn't replace any of the game's files, so uninstalling it is trivial. It's not even needed since you can just disable the mod redirection and play the vanilla game.
Simply run SonicGMI.exe for configuring the mod loading, patching the exe, and playing! The first time you run SonicGMI it might take a bit since it'll scan the exe to see if CPKREDIR is enabled or not. The scanning will be disabled by default.
If you never patched your EXE so CPKREDIR works, you can do it directly from SonicGMI with the Install/Uninstall button. It will warn you if you're about to play with an unpatched version of the game.
You can make brand new Mod configurations by saving the INI with a different name, or even to another folder! You don't need to define mods in your INIs to find them. SonicGMI will simply scan the folder the INI is in for more Mods to add to the list.
3) Save backups
In case your mod uses Save File redirection, you can specify in your mod.ini with the key "SaveFileBackup" the save file that will be restored when users click on "Restore Save File" for that particular mod. If you don't specify it, SonicGMI will search for the save file you specified, with a ".new" appended to the end.
Note that if none of the mods use Save File redirection, launching it now will create a brand new save file on the directory called "cpkredir.sav", copied from your regular Sonic Generations save file. This prevents users tampering with their records by default, but you can disable the Save File redirection easily.
4) How can I distribute my Mod?
- In your Mod Installation instructions, redirect them to this thread to download SonicGMI.
- Distribute the mod folder and tell your users to copy it to the mods folder they use.
- Make sure to properly fill the description entries in your mod.ini! SonicGMI will display this info to the user.
- You can get a Mod template here.
SonicGMI v1.1 RC4 - Dario ff
Special thanks to Korama for CPKREDIR v0.4.1, the main tool used for mod distribution. Also for finding out how to enable the alternate renderer.
Really old post: