Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SonicGMI (Sonic Generations Mod Installer) v1.1 RC5 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

SonicGMI (Sonic Generations Mod Installer) v1.1 RC5 Configure your mods easily with some clicks! Now with new Renderer

#1 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
Posted Image SonicGMI v1.1 RC5 (Sonic Generations Mod Installer)

SonicGMI used to be a mod installer of its own, but now it's been rehauled as a GUI front-end to CPKREDIR, so users can easily configure the mods they use, their order, and various other settings in an quick and simple interface.

You can make a shortcut to SonicGMI directly to play the game and be able to configure mods easily, but it's not required to launch the game from it for the mods to work!

Download the latest version here.

Posted Image

*) Updates
Version 1.1:
  • Redesigned GUI, added some foolproof conditions for being able to play with mods(such as installing CPKREDIR if mods are enabled)
  • Added Online Update support for mods. Mods can now have an update server, so the end users can easily update their mods directly from the program whenever an update is available, without the need of redownloading the whole thing.
  • FxPipeline renderer support(AKA the misnamed Unleashed Renderer). Now you can create the alternate renderer exe from SonicGMI, and boot it directly from the program, without having to manually run it from the game's folder. Note this renderer is purely experimental and under constant research, so it might improve and have its bugs ironed out as more discoveries are done. In its current state, it does its purpose just fine, there's only a few visual glitches that can be tolerated sometimes. When new settings are discovered in the EXE, those options will appear in SonicGMI.
  • FxPipeline Shaders Mod added, it must be used if the alternate renderer is enabled, as it fixes various glitches present with the regular shaders. These are NOT the shader_s files found before(which had many lacking features, such as gloss map support), these are new, custom fixed shaders by me, that support correct directional shadows, no red tint, and some other stuff. This mod is currently in Beta and updates frequently, which is perfect for showing off the updating feature.
  • Ring Cap removal is now supported with the creation of an alternate executable, and has no known issues so far. This will be useful for the Unleashed Project as you can imagine, but feel free to go nuts in your own stages as well.
  • Bundled the newest CPKREDIR 0.4.1 version.

1) Installing
Copy the contents of this folder into the folder where SonicGenerations.exe is stored. For example: C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sonic generations\

It doesn't replace any of the game's files, so uninstalling it is trivial. It's not even needed since you can just disable the mod redirection and play the vanilla game.

2) Usage

Simply run SonicGMI.exe for configuring the mod loading, patching the exe, and playing! The first time you run SonicGMI it might take a bit since it'll scan the exe to see if CPKREDIR is enabled or not. The scanning will be disabled by default.

If you never patched your EXE so CPKREDIR works, you can do it directly from SonicGMI with the Install/Uninstall button. It will warn you if you're about to play with an unpatched version of the game.

You can make brand new Mod configurations by saving the INI with a different name, or even to another folder! You don't need to define mods in your INIs to find them. SonicGMI will simply scan the folder the INI is in for more Mods to add to the list.

3) Save backups
In case your mod uses Save File redirection, you can specify in your mod.ini with the key "SaveFileBackup" the save file that will be restored when users click on "Restore Save File" for that particular mod. If you don't specify it, SonicGMI will search for the save file you specified, with a ".new" appended to the end.

Note that if none of the mods use Save File redirection, launching it now will create a brand new save file on the directory called "cpkredir.sav", copied from your regular Sonic Generations save file. This prevents users tampering with their records by default, but you can disable the Save File redirection easily.

4) How can I distribute my Mod?
  • In your Mod Installation instructions, redirect them to this thread to download SonicGMI.
  • Distribute the mod folder and tell your users to copy it to the mods folder they use.
  • Make sure to properly fill the description entries in your mod.ini! SonicGMI will display this info to the user.
  • You can get a Mod template here.

5) Credits
SonicGMI v1.1 RC4 - Dario ff
Special thanks to Korama for CPKREDIR v0.4.1, the main tool used for mod distribution. Also for finding out how to enable the alternate renderer.

Really old post:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dario FF: 19 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

#2 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5
This has potential to be very, very useful. Props man.

If you want to have some help to make other Generations hacking programs, or to expand on this, to make modding Generations itself easier, me and a group of people just excavating these XML files for Generations can provide you with some information we discovered through both experimentation and the power of READING! :v:

#3 User is offline DustArma 

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

• Project:Learning Python.
Oh you are a lifesaver, this will come in real useful later on, I hope you can expand on it. :)
This post has been edited by DustArma: 16 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

#4 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostDustArma, on 16 November 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

Oh you are a lifesaver, this will come in real useful later on, I hope you can expand on it. :)

Oh don't worry, I'll most surely release the source once it's polished up a bit more. This ain't much more than a glorified file copier and command line batch file though, but someone needed to do the dirty work. :v:

If you want to have some help to make other Generations hacking programs, or to expand on this, to make modding Generations itself easier, me and a group of people just excavating these XML files for Generations can provide you with some information we discovered through both experimentation and the power of READING!

I haven't had much time to do a lot of research, but if there's anything needing to be automated(conversion, easier editors, or something), I could give it a try.

Does anyone have any leads to an open source CPK-file packer? Only reliable one I found was crifilesystem but that's closed afaik. I already got an open source file unpacker though, just gotta find the time later for it, and exams don't exactly help this time of the year.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 16 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

#5 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostDario FF, on 16 November 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

I haven't had much time to do a lot of research, but if there's anything needing to be automated(conversion, easier editors, or something), I could give it a try.

An object editor, for one.

#6 User is offline Azu 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:18 AM

• I must be stupid.
Visual object editor, although, I'm not sure how easy that would be.

#7 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostAzu, on 17 November 2011 - 03:18 AM, said:

Visual object editor, although, I'm not sure how easy that would be.

Certainly not very easy since I'm not really familiar with 3D rendering yet. :v:

Though I guess it would be easy enough using Ogre3D(and while we're at it, ensuring cross platform compatibility ahoy!), since it already has GUI tools of its own, a nice 3D renderer, and I can just use TinyXML to parse the files. Of course, it would all just be floating objects with no scenery around until that script is released though.

If you guys want to share any mods, feel free to look at the example I provided, and try to modify it. Like for example that lightspeed dash ring mod I heard before.

#8 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
Did a quick update to the program, changes below. You can find the download link up.

View PostDario FF, on 16 November 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

Changelog
11/21/2011 v0.11
+ Added "installer.txt" option for forcing the installer to select a particular mod in its folder. Useful for distributing mod installers.
+ Added a new #swap command to merge 3 rename commands into 1 simpler line.
* Fixed the "Uses bb#.cpk display text, as it wasn't showing correctly when the option was on.

#9 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
Is there, or will there be an option to bring the game back to stock?

#10 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:35 PM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostLobotomy, on 21 November 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

Is there, or will there be an option to bring the game back to stock?

Probably, but I don't want to force backups atm where people might be tight with space, so doing it manually is the way to go IMO for now.

#11 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
Bump because new update. It's not even the same program anymore. :v: Let me know if you run into any issues!

Check the first post for the details.

EDIT: RC2 out, fixing the checkbox bug and the About... box.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 10 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

#12 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

So, Save File Redirection allows you to play the game using mods, without affecting your save data at all. Am I understanding this correct?

Would it be possible to make it create a new save file for playing "vanilla" Generations? For instance, if I had a younger sibling who wanted to play through the storyline, but I don't want him/her deleting my file on the game?

#13 User is offline TommoPuppy 

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostKharen, on 10 July 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

So, Save File Redirection allows you to play the game using mods, without affecting your save data at all. Am I understanding this correct?

Would it be possible to make it create a new save file for playing "vanilla" Generations? For instance, if I had a younger sibling who wanted to play through the storyline, but I don't want him/her deleting my file on the game?

Sure, you could just make a blank mod that has nothing in it but still redirects to a different save file, right?

I don't understand why they didn't give Sonic Generations multiple save slots in the first place. At least on the 360 version you can just use profiles

#14 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

• Tech Support Hotline

View PostKharen, on 10 July 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

If you enable Save File redirection, but NONE of the mods you have use it, it will copy the Save you're on to cpkredir.sav by default. You can edit this path in cpkredir.ini.

The other alternative which I would recommend, although it's harder to set up, is to create a mod like say, "Pete's Game", that redirects on its own folder to a brand new save file. Once you enable that mod(you don't need to boot up SonicGMI constantly to enable it, just once and Save), all his progress will be redirected there. If you wanted to swap to your regular game, just disable his mod.

#15 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Great. I've got a little brother who absolutely loves playing the Sonic games, but I don't want to lose my save file. Probably not quite what the program was intended for, but until there's a really awesome mod that catches my eye, that'll probably be what I use it for.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users