Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Speedrun thread (spoilers abound here) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Speedrun thread (spoilers abound here) Disscuss speedruns, give tips for improving times, and post times.

#1 User is offline ancara 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

Since I figured that a lot of us will likely be trying to get the best times here in various acts in Sonic Generations, a topic for such things would be a great way for us to be able to discuss this kind of thing without cluttering up the main megathread with it.

Basically, disscuss speedruns that you have tried to do in the game, post your best times (bonus points for videos of speedruns :v: ), give tips for how one can improve their times in each act, and all that fun stuff here.

Just to remind you all, since this is discussing speedruns for ALL acts and stuff, there will likely be spoilers here of later stages in the game, so if you don't wish to see any spoilers until you get and play the game yourself, don't look in here, alright?

Anyways, I'll start off myself with some times: About 1:23-ish for GHZ act 1, and 1:56-ish for Speed Highway act 2 so far. I have quite a few acts left to go through before I have a time for every act, but I'm getting there......I have a feeling CPZ act 1 is going to be a bit of a pain to get a good time with, isn't it?

So then, if you have any times/videos/tips and such to post, do it here. I'm sure this'll be a fun thread for us all to enjoy, right? :v:

edit: By request, also placing a list of peoples' XBL/PSN/Steam username here, for if ya wanna add them to see how you compare to others.

XBL:
Positive Josh - Josh
bcornelia - corneliab
Ironsharp01 - HarrisonJ
Akson Jackson - Sokaris
Firstkirbyever - 1stkirbyever
PJMan586 - Dark Sonic
rika chou - Rika Chou
Tiranno - Tiranno
Cyrus Parker - Cyrus Parker
omgNova - Nova
Zack Quivers - Chimpo
FedoraFred
redchaoschao94 - Mykonos
Vangar2 - Vangar
ThunderPX - ThunderPX
Cinos Hedgean - SpadeRunner
ST1V - Stiv
RDude09 - RGamer2009
CrappyBlueLuigi - Crappy Blue Luigi
BadWolf18787 - Jen
JaxTH - JaxTH
KOHPelord - Pelord
STHX - STHX
AkuNoOuji - Shadow Fire
Saikuran - Sonic Warrior TJ

PSN:
Spindash54 - Spindash54
ancara22 - ancara
firinmalazor - zallirog
ExactlyAsPlanned - Tylinos
Wofl_house - Gin and Sonic
Vinchenz_Rock - Vinchez
BeardG87 - Demi
PancakePanda - Dannyboy
Goryuck - Goryuck
ThunderPX - ThunderPX
jimmyhedgehog - Jimmy Hedgehog

Steam:
PositiveJosh - Josh
harrisonj_17 - HarrisonJ
Bio-Frost - Biofrost
Krigo - Krigo
Diablohead UK _ - Diablohead
TimmiT9 - TimmiT
Hodgy100 - Hodgy
Azzuy - Azu
Infiniti359 - Infiniti
ThunderPX - ThunderPX
shadevortex - Shade Vortex
Ch1pper - Ch1pper
BlackDragonHunt - Insalubrious
_ArMaGeDoN_ - Dustarma

edit edit: Also will now have a list of everyone's times for each act, so we can keep track of who's awesome, and who's failing (like me. :v: ). Spoiler'd because it'll get huge.

Spoiler

I'll periodically update it if any new changes happen. Also, if your times improve, say so and I'll update it, alright?

edit edit edit: Decided now to include a thing for 30-second trial scores as well. If ya wanna show your current score, post it. Then we can see who's done the best, alright?

Spoiler

This post has been edited by ancara: 13 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

#2 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:40 AM

• Charismatic Sonicaholic
  • Project:Throwing my support behind others' projects (aka none)
Well, what could be better for this thread than an official speedrunning guide of Green Hill Act 2?

#3 User is offline ancara 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:48 PM

Eeeeeeyup, Seaside Hill act 1 is being a pain to get a good run in.

They weren't kidding when it was said it would be a pain to at least get a good time for it. Knowing my luck, Crisis City's acts will destroy my will to live if this is an indication of anything.

It's alright though, I didn't need my sanity anyways. :v:

Any good tips on SSH act 1 so as to not fail at it? Would be lovely help for everyone on that act, myself included.

#4 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
  • Wiki edits:2

View Postancara, on 03 November 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

Eeeeeeyup, Seaside Hill act 1 is being a pain to get a good run in.

True, but it has that "Aquatic Ruin Zone" quality to it, where you really feel like a badass when you manage to keep yourself out of the water. That kind of water level is exactly the kind of water level I love to see in Sonic games.

They weren't kidding when it was said it would be a pain to at least get a good time for it. Knowing my luck, Crisis City's acts will destroy my will to live if this is an indication of anything.

Spoiler

Any good tips on SSH act 1 so as to not fail at it? Would be lovely help for everyone on that act, myself included.

The water sections involve a lot of tricky jumps in the upper paths that make it possible to pretty much never touch the water at all, or to at least remain near the surface for the duration of them. You'll probably fail massively at this until you've practiced it—abusing the Start Over option in the Xbox LIVE ranking attack to practice these without losing lives would be good. If all you care about is beating it well in story mode,
Spoiler
, but if you're looking for leaderboard runs, obviously you'll need to master the stage without any skill power-ups whatsoever.

#5 User is offline ancara 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for the tip, dude. Managed to get 2:33.83 just now with this thing.

Methinks that's good enough for my best run, tbh. I mean, that's about 8th place on the leaderboards right now, so until more play that act on there, I'm happy with what I got. :v:

#6 User is offline Spindash54 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

• Did you ever wonder how he spins in place?
Can we also use this topic to place our XBL/PSN/Steam ID's so we actually have friends to track stats against?

PSN: Spindash54

#7 User is offline ancara 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

Good idea, list thing added to first post. Also added my own PSN username as well.

I just finished getting times for both acts of 6/9 stages so far. Have to beat Perfect Chaos in story mode to get to do the other three, but I'll get to that in time. :v:

#8 User is offline Josh 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

• YRG Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
STEAM: PositiveJosh
XBLA: Positive Josh

I'll probably mostly be on Steam from here on out, but I have set a few times and 30-second trials on XBLA.

#9 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:not posting drunk
  • Wiki edits:21
Chemical Plant Act 2: 1:46:47
Speed Highway Act 2: 1:41:92

Both are world records at the moment. XBL gamertag: bcornelia

#10 User is offline PARASOL 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Seaside Hill Act 2: 2:43.20

Looks like I got a new record!

Posted Image
This post has been edited by PARASOL: 03 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

#11 User is offline ancara 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Alright, updated the first post to also work as a sort-of "who's where" with times, kinda like Retro's own little leaderboards.

Post your times, and I'll update the thing as I can.

Also, if anyone here can beat my CPZ act 1 time, you are officially a better man than I could ever be. :v:

#12 User is offline HarrisonJ 

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

• Project:University
  • Wiki edits:16
I'm currently at the top of the PC leaderboard for Green Hill act 2, and I'm in the top 10 for act 1.

Steam: harrisonj_17
Xbox LIVE: Ironsharp01

#13 User is offline ancara 

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

For the sake of those that can't view the times on certain versions, can you all post your times if possible, so I can be able to keep times checked on and placed in the OP?

Thanks in advanced if/when you do so.

#14 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:not posting drunk
  • Wiki edits:21
Crisis City Act 2 is driving me batty. I was able to snag the world record, but I just KNOW I can do better. I can't seem to get a perfect run down, since I always end up getting hit SOMEWHERE.

Time is 1:56... can't remember the milliseconds, but someone else can check if they really care. I'm done for the night.
This post has been edited by corneliab: 04 November 2011 - 01:32 AM

#15 User is offline Sokaris 

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

• Here is a man who stood up.
XBLA: Akson Jackson
Love that 30 second trial.
This post has been edited by Sokaris: 04 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

• 16 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users