Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread II - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Megathread II WORD ON THE STREET: IT CAN'T BE BEAT

#2911 User is offline 360 

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

I finally found a mechanism in which to play this game (I am without Xbox 360) via downloading the demo on Steam. I enjoyed it but my laptop basically chokes on everything that isn't a 2D platformer meaning I had performance issues. From what I played after tweaking the settings to get a stable frame-rate the game was good (miles ahead of all recent efforts bar Colours) but I still wasn't really loving the Unleashed-style gameplay or rather modern Sonic. Obviously this opinion is rather useless since I've only played GHZ and not the full-game.

Sonic Colours on the other hand I actually did manage to play to completion and I absolutely loved it. I haven't had so much fun with a Sonic game since SA2. It felt like an evolution of that game but was better in a way since it returned to fantastical worlds and pure hardcore platforming. Thus far I'm rating Colours higher than Generations though again I still need to play through the full-game of the latter (on an actual games console with a decent frame-rate) before this really means anything.

PS. The core reason I am without a console is mainly due to lacking a television here. Anyone know if it's possible to hook an Xbox 360 to a laptop screen?
This post has been edited by 360: 17 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

#2912 User is offline FuzzballFox 

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

• Hmmmmm
  • Project:Nothing anymore

View Post360, on 17 April 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

I finally found a mechanism in which to play this game (I am without Xbox 360) via downloading the demo on Steam. I enjoyed it but my laptop basically chokes on everything that isn't a 2D platformer meaning I had performance issues. From what I played after tweaking the settings to get a stable frame-rate the game was good (miles ahead of all recent efforts bar Colours) but I still wasn't really loving the Unleashed-style gameplay or rather modern Sonic. Obviously this opinion is rather useless since I've only played GHZ and not the full-game.

Sonic Colours on the other hand I actually did manage to play to completion and I absolutely loved it. I haven't had so much fun with a Sonic game since SA2. It felt like an evolution of that game but was better in a way since it returned to fantastical worlds and pure hardcore platforming. Thus far I'm rating Colours higher than Generations though again I still need to play through the full-game of the latter (on an actual games console with a decent frame-rate) before this really means anything.

PS. The core reason I am without a console is mainly due to lacking a television here. Anyone know if it's possible to hook an Xbox 360 to a laptop screen?

You can get VGA cables made specificly for that purpose~ I had to get one because my TV years ago didn't actually have the red blue and green needed~

#2913 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
Remember when SEGA asked for questions for the composers? The results are in.

http://blogs.sega.co...-music-answers/

There's actually some rather neat and interesting answers to the questions.

#2914 User is offline Wolf Rogers 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

WAIT!

My remixes of “Speed Highway” and “Stardust Speedway (US Present and Future)”

Stardust Speedway Present? We've only ever seen Bad Future.

#2915 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
It was on the 20th Anniversary Sonic CD OST release as an exclusive track.

#2916 User is offline Wolf Rogers 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostMykonos, on 08 May 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Oh yeah, drats, thought there was a glimmer of hope for DLC then. On another note, I'd be interested in hearing what Alex could do with the Sonic 4 soundtrack as he seems to have a decent grip on the feeling of how Classic should sound.

#2917 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

• Что, вы ожидали что-то остроумное?
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

[18:50:28] Overlord: Alex confirms both the SA2-Demo-only instrumental track & Endless Mine
[18:53:08] Overlord: If there was one track you worked on that you feel most proud of, which would it be, and why?

Alex: I think all of the remixes turned out really cool, but if I had to pick my favorite it would be “Big Arms”. I knew the original song was a fan favorite, so I had to make it as epic as possible. Most of the remixes I made were very dance oriented, but this one was very different. I love it because I got to blend the elements of 80's synth, heavy rock guitars, big electronic drums, and strings. This resulted in a super fast, high-energy remix that could get any listener instantly head banging, or dancing on first listen. This one was also cool because I got to add an extra breakdown section that was never in the original song. It makes the end of the track really heavy and epic. When Jun heard the song for the first time, I had recorded the original guitars. Jun loved the track, and wanted to record his own guitars with his own style and feel. When I blended his guitars with some of mine, the track truly came to life. That whole middle section before the breakdown didn't exist until I received Jun's guitar tracks. I think Sonic fans as well as musicians will really appreciate this version of the song.

[18:53:28] Overlord: And that explains what happened between final & when me, Jen & Orenge got a recording of it at GAMEFest
[18:58:56] Overlord: MHZ from the same demo is unchanged to final
[18:59:12] Overlord: So I think it's safe to assume that that's the pre-Jun version

#2918 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostMykonos, on 08 May 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

This sounds quite amazing....except for the recycling of the drums (and beat) from the City Escape Classic Mix.

#2919 User is offline Sonic Warrior TJ 

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

• White Franklin Clinton
  • Wiki edits:21
So apparently the 360 version's been updated recently, unless it's really been that long since I've played it.

#2920 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

• Wiki edits:136
Hang on, I'll check.

EDIT: Nope, it's just been that long since you played it.
This post has been edited by Skyler: 09 May 2012 - 04:16 AM

#2921 User is offline Josh 

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

• YRG Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Generations is STILL practically the only game I play. Seriously. my Steam time's up to 124.3 hours, four of 'em in the past two weeks. It's been at the top of that list since the day it came out.

#2922 User is offline Jason 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Sonic Generations has sold 1.85 million copies.

Where does that put it compared to Colors and Unleashed?

#2923 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostJason, on 11 May 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Sonic Generations has sold 1.85 million copies.

Where does that put it compared to Colors and Unleashed?

They made a huge mistake making the 3DS version. They could have dumbed down the console version and shoved it on the Wii for not only cheaper then creating the 3DS version, but they would have got more sales because of the larger Sonic fanbase on the Wii. Seriously, Sega doesn't have the money to support a launch console.

According to this Unleashed sold 2.45 million while Colors sold 2.18 million. 3DS version was your downfall Sega. Stupid, stupid choice. However I'm interested in specifics. How did the 360/PS3 sales of Unleashed compare to 360/PS3 sales of Generations? I imagine that Unleashed got a significant sales boost due to the PS2 and Wii versions.

Also, yikes this was their best selling game besides Mario & Sonic? Good lord I never realized how bad their sales actually were. No wonder they're in the shitter. Hopefully if Sega were to die off completely they'd hand creative control of Sonic to some other reputable company. That's the one thing made by them that actually has a chance. As for the rest of the series they make/have made but no longer touch (JSR, NiGHTS, Space Channel 5, anything on the dreamcast), well, may you rest in peace.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 11 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

#2924 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

• Project:Gold's Curse
  • Wiki edits:21
I probably would have bought the 3DS version if it kept the console levels. I'd have taken a portable classic City Escape and Seaside Hill any day.

In future, SEGA leaving out the Wii (or Wii-U?) is probably a bad idea.

#2925 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
I would had jumped on the 3DS version sooner if it had Game gear and GBA levels. not just DS levels

• 225 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users