Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread II - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Megathread II WORD ON THE STREET: IT CAN'T BE BEAT

#2896 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
As I mentioned a few pages ago, if original levels aren't their thing, I expect that they might go the route of making levels out of boss acts and such. They already have a lot of the assets they need, and although they'd have to model an actual level, they already have a perfectly good base for an Ark level, Stardust Speedway bad future, Death Egg Zone, and Eggmanland (Even more so for the last one, they can just rip shit straight from Unleashed). These levels would also fill the void left due to the fact that this game has no Robotnik levels.

#2897 User is offline ultima espio 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

I always wondered what the people in that City thought when a truck came flying along their houses xD

#2898 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
Hahaha, oh shit. That was rich!

#2899 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
And that doesn't count the three houses that are destroyed by the truck just straight up plowing through it.

But much like living in the same city as The Power Rangers, it's assumed they just deal with it and the ridiculously low property values.

#2900 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178

View PostGeneHF, on 12 March 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

And that doesn't count the three houses that are destroyed by the truck just straight up plowing through it.

But much like living in the same city as The Power Rangers, it's assumed they just deal with it and the ridiculously low property values.

Taxes are probably a bit of a bitch as well.

#2901 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
So, I've actually been enjoying this game.

Time Eater seems a lot better than people had been saying. Did they patch this up in an update or something, or what?

They still can't do endgame bosses for shit though (ask me how I feel about the final stage in Sonic Colors) -- in this case coming in the form of the godawful Egg Dragoon battle. The slippery controls are generally manageable throughout the game, but here they're impossible (largely due to how large an area to drift around there is), and the lack of mobility in the falling sections makes landing the last hits near impossible to do. Aside from that there are lots of opportunities to hit him (generally coming in the form of the wall-jumping attack), but since they come along fairly infrequently the boss is just slow and tedious.

I mean, yes, the previous Egg Dragoon battle is pretty much MODERN GAMING DOT EEE ECKS EEE but it's definitely more palatable. I guess aping old designs is good because that way they can provide an iterative approach to them, while the most original aspect to the game (this entire fight has probably the least in common with the boss battle it's based on) is clearly the worst. Of course, the other bosses are hardly spectacular examples of game design either -- the death egg robot has a tendency to glitch up going into the bomb-triggering phase.

A real shame. Even if very little of the game is innovative, it's at least decent.

#2902 User is offline Kampfer 

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

View PostmuteKi, on 16 March 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

So, I've actually been enjoying this game.

Time Eater seems a lot better than people had been saying. Did they patch this up in an update or something, or what?

They still can't do endgame bosses for shit though (ask me how I feel about the final stage in Sonic Colors) -- in this case coming in the form of the godawful Egg Dragoon battle. The slippery controls are generally manageable throughout the game, but here they're impossible (largely due to how large an area to drift around there is), and the lack of mobility in the falling sections makes landing the last hits near impossible to do. Aside from that there are lots of opportunities to hit him (generally coming in the form of the wall-jumping attack), but since they come along fairly infrequently the boss is just slow and tedious.

I mean, yes, the previous Egg Dragoon battle is pretty much MODERN GAMING DOT EEE ECKS EEE but it's definitely more palatable. I guess aping old designs is good because that way they can provide an iterative approach to them, while the most original aspect to the game (this entire fight has probably the least in common with the boss battle it's based on) is clearly the worst. Of course, the other bosses are hardly spectacular examples of game design either -- the death egg robot has a tendency to glitch up going into the bomb-triggering phase.

A real shame. Even if very little of the game is innovative, it's at least decent.

My only issue with Egg Dragoon is I can't seem to figure out how to consistently hit it at the beginning of the tunnel before he starts chucking ice comets from the background. It usually won't give me a chance to home attack when he's clearly vulnerable, and many times when it does Sonic wants to go into the background and attack but it doesn't connect. Otherwise, I have to say its actually my favorite boss of the game.

The other bosses in the game are too easy. Perfect Chaos is just a race to the finish, and none of his attacks really connect or pose any meaningful threat. I think DER could have been better by having it shoot out the little Eggman Mines from the backpack during the first part of the fight like it does in Sonic 2 (and make you earn the rear attack). I (and most other people) almost forget those exist because once you get behind him in Sonic 2 and get killed by those, you know its better to do frontal attacks and never really see them again.

#2903 User is offline XD375 

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

• Project:Sonic Rivals Redubbed
Perfect Chaos honestly feels more like a short level based on the original boss fight. And I really liked that.

#2904 User is offline Shakidna 

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

• Rehash Rampage
  • Wiki edits:1
Heads up for anyone who hasn't purchased this game yet, or wants to gift it.

It's $7.49 on Amazon Digital, cheapest it's ever been.

#2905 User is offline Heat-Nova 

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

View Postultima espio, on 12 March 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Spoiler

I always wondered what the people in that City thought when a truck came flying along their houses xD

HAHAHA! That just made my day! Anyways the all the boss battles to me were OK except Time Eater, I dreaded that one, I still refuse to go back and get an S rank. My favorite one was Perfect Chaos, Egg Dragon would have been so much better if quick step mode and auto run sections didn't exist ( I really like the concept of quick step ) so I could move around more freely. The Death Egg Robot was pretty good, kinda bland but good. The Rival Battles were awesome, Metal Sonic could have been better if it was an actual race. Shadow was excellent except I didn't really like the idea of getting the purple orb, simply trying to hit him would have been good enough. The Silver Battle could have been AWESOME, if he was just a bit harder. I loved the fact that he shot telekinetic strips at you that had could quick step or short hop over, though the fact that you could just quick step like a madman and you could easily get away from him kinda took away the point.

#2906 User is offline Hero Of Fate 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

• It's a Man's Name
  • Project:MarioMedia.net FTP
I'm going to PAX East on the 6th (only day I go). I'll check the SEGA booth, so I guess I'll have some impressions of Episode II when I get back. :v:

I'll tell you dudes how it is but, I'm kind of shitty at that kind of stuff.

#2907 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
You'd be surprised how easy it is to give impressions on something after playing it. Just remember to be more descriptive than saying something was "good" or "fine" or "poor". It's all in the descriptions. "Sonic controlled like a shopping trolley with greased wheels," as an example of describing Sonic Heroes.

#2908 User is offline Sonic Warrior TJ 

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

• Who is this Maria?
  • Wiki edits:21
Finally got to play this on an HDTV. Looks great.

Getting button lag on 480p. Glad I haven't upgraded.
This post has been edited by Sonic Warrior TJ: 28 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

#2909 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

• Project:Collectems
  • Wiki edits:32
So... I love the 30 Second Trial mode.

I'm only allowed to embed two videos in a post so here's a link to the 3rd one http://youtu.be/IObqUEz3zF0
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 07 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

#2910 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

• Wiki edits:136
Sharing this glitch here because I've never seen it before.

• 226 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users