Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Preview (11-29-01) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Preview (11-29-01) Download Link Inside

#16 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostTyty, on 16 October 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

As for loading on the Wii, I think Gamecube game loading is still disc only. There was a harddrive-load proof of concept video somewhere but I haven't heard anything since.
Wait, does it not support mounting virtual drives?

#17 User is offline Tyty 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

• KNUXEDO KAMEN
  • Project:↑ & ↓ & ↻

View PostICEknight, on 16 October 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

The Wii has two modes essentially, Wii Mode and Gamecube Mode where it runs a dumbed-down Gamecube BIOS (mIOS, mini IOS I think). While running in Gamecube mode, the Wii disables all Wii functions. USB slots, bluetooth, and even slows down its processor to the same speed as the Gamecube's, so while you can boot Wii ISOs from USB and such, you can't with Gamecube ones.

I think someone is working on a custom mIOS to allow Gamecube loading but it's not done yet. There are ones that allow you to run burned disks, but as my Wii will tell you, that will lead to not being able to run dual-layered Wii games from the disk drive.

This is mostly from memory though, so I might be wrong somewhere :P

#18 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
No, you are correct. If anyone wanted to play this, they would have to burn it to a DVD.

#19 User is offline DustArma 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

• Project:Learning Python.

View PostTyty, on 16 October 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

Just a little word of warning to anyone wanting to play in Dolphin, SA2:B really really doesn't like multi-core emulation (crashes in levels) so you kinda need a really strong single-core to run it well.

The crashes only happen when loading the stage and generally don't repeat themselves, so if it happens to crash you just need to restart the game and continue from the same point it crahsed on, rarely you will lose any progress.
This post has been edited by DustArma: 16 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

#20 User is offline K2J 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:29 PM

• YOU CAN USE A MACHINE WITH MEMORY DATA
  • Project:Not School
  • Wiki edits:8
Yeah, disabling Dual Core made it no longer crash. The Memory Card issue is apparently because said cards are region-specific, and I was using a US one for this Japanese-tagged ISO.

So no, I'm not seeing any changes from the final.

#21 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostTyty, on 16 October 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

[explanation]
Ah, damn, I know. For some reason I thought he was still talking about the Wii emu, not the real Wii, sorry!

#22 User is online Orengefox 

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

• It's gettin' it's gettin' it's gettin' kinda heavy
  • Project:Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
Quick little story regarding the Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Preview:

Now this preview disc was purchased from off the same ex-Sega dev who sold Sonic Advance 1 prototype cart. Apparently he had two of these NR discs. One of which was dated 11/19/01 and the one we have which was dated 11/29/01. I couldn't get the other NR disc because some other person manage to claim that one. The ex-Sega dev was fairly confident there was nothing different about those two NR discs but had no way of finding out for sure without digging into it.

When I received it, I eventually dumped it using an LG GDR-8162B drive and hot swapping. It took awhile to sort out because I hadn't done this before. More so because I didn't have an LG drive at the time I received the NR disc. I was quite pleased with my attempt. Seeing as I didn't have a powerful enough computer to check it out, I had to post it up as is. The rest is history.

Thanks everyone for looking into this (as well as the Sonic Advance 1 Prototype). I appreciate all the thank yous as well =)
This post has been edited by Orengefox: 18 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

#23 User is online Tanks 

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

• They call me... Troll-bo Cop.
  • Wiki edits:1
I went through the files with a fine toothed comb. It's the same as the HPZ release. That basically means it's only major difference is that it was the Japanese version, missing only the English banner.

#24 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:03 AM

• Adopt
  • Wiki edits:4

View PostTyty, on 16 October 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

The Wii has two modes essentially, Wii Mode and Gamecube Mode where it runs a dumbed-down Gamecube BIOS (mIOS, mini IOS I think). While running in Gamecube mode, the Wii disables all Wii functions. USB slots, bluetooth, and even slows down its processor to the same speed as the Gamecube's, so while you can boot Wii ISOs from USB and such, you can't with Gamecube ones.

I think someone is working on a custom mIOS to allow Gamecube loading but it's not done yet. There are ones that allow you to run burned disks, but as my Wii will tell you, that will lead to not being able to run dual-layered Wii games from the disk drive.

This is mostly from memory though, so I might be wrong somewhere :P

IIRC, you can load gamecube games from SD cards using WiiKey SD gamecube memory card. I think there's also a way to connect an external harddrive to the wiikey.

I might be wrong.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users