don't click here

Pana Der Hejhog

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MarkeyJester, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    pana der hejhog, he iz teh gratis

download

Music thanks to:
    -CarrascoZX0

Bugtesting and/or playtesting & feedback:

-SonicVaan
    -Stealth
    -JMan2050
    -TheBarAdmin
    -Robjoe
    -Puto
    -Tweaker

Additional help:
    -Aquaslash

2. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Truth be told, I was somewhat cautious about trying this hack (going by the name, but then again so many got involved), but wow...that hack blew me away. That level was Unique with a capital "U," as well as the boss (I was scared for a minute there). Excellent job!

3. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    The name of the hack made me think it was a hurr durr its a shitty hack on purpose, but then I was blown away. Best hack I've played in a long while.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pretty much this. I was totally suspicious of this and thought it'd be something along the lines of Sonic in Paynt, but it is truly awesome. Nicely done dude.

5. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Whoa...

The animations in this are so fluid, and the whole level felt so unique. Brilliant stuff!

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

Amazing! As usual, Markey, you've made something quite enjoyable and unique. The only tiny little thing I found odd was that you could enter the boss arena...
    (I'm spoiler tagging half of my post because half of the fun of trying the hack is the surprise you get when trying it for the first time.)
    without the sphere you roll on. The screen locks and you can't do anything but let Pana fail...in the spikes. I must say though that this is the BEST interpretation of the scrapped rolling sphere from Green hill Zone. It's extremely fun to play with. What made you decide to invert the controls though? it does add an extra level of difficulty...

7. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    seriously Markey, you outdone yourself with this. I take off my hat. You're the best!

PS: I demand an MP3 of the Mystic Island music :3

8. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    It's real-life physics. Imagine two gears connected to each other. One turns clockwise, and owing to that, the other gear turns counter-clockwise. In this example sonic's feet are one gear, and the ball is the other. When you're running left, the ball will go right, and vice-versa.

I have no idea if I was able to explain that in a coherent way, but that was my best shot at it.

I seriously hope there will be a continuation to this project, it was too good and ended too soon :(

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wow this is really awesome stuff. I would love to see more!

10. synchronizer

synchronizer

That was a good explanation, but I knew this already. It's just that in a game, control-wise it's somewhat jarring when you must switch directions when jumping off and on the sphere. After a short amount of time I adjusted, but it's still a tiny bit odd. Honestly it's probably fine, but if the level was harder for example, the controls might cause a few more problems.

11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Hack of the year. I cannot stress this enough. Until of course, someone somehow manages to trump this.
    Smooth animations by the way, and the quick transitions are impressive.

12. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I'm blown away.

The gorgeously smooth animations, the Door into Summer remix, the gimmicky rolling around on checkered balls, and even the gimmicky boss fight... this is just beautiful.

Markey, you never cease to impress.

13. Bgvanbur

Bgvanbur

Tech Member
    USA
    a disassembly, some small Sega CD projects
    Like others said, you expect a silly hack and within the first few seconds you realize it isn't. This hack is very polished from every aspect, the change to the Sega logo, the Markey Jester presents, the beautiful title screen, the working demo mode, the gears animation, the level design, the handling of the ball physics, the mid-stage transitions, etc. Nice job!

14. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
  15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    AhahHOOOOhhh well, that's the idea!!

Tis a parody hack, designed to do the opposite of what you expect with a tint of hillarity! The idea that fan character hacks come accross as terible, I'm suprised no-one's had a stressy fit yet =P

I wasn't sure at the point of making it, but settled for real life physics over game-play in this area.

16. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
  17. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    This is one of the most awesome hacks ever made. And I'm not even talking about the idea of having an awesome hack presented as a silly beginner's hack. No, even if it would be presented as a serious hack (which it is, apparently), it would be a masterpiece. From the simple Sega screen change, over the fluent animation and awesome graphics, to the incredibly awesome use of the scrapped ball in GHZ. And don't get me even started about the Boss.

This hack already made its way to the Sonic Hacks Hall-Of-Fame, no doubt on that. Congratulations once again, MarkeyJester! :)

18. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    That boss fight is bullshit. If you get hit, good luck getting at least one ring back.

19. Love the music ports (especially that Aqua man rip!), HUD and the snare. Also, the fluidness of Pana is outstanding!
    The second part also is a neat gimmick, but I don't think I should spoil it.

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I like this, even though I triggered a bug which allowed me to stand (in the balancing animation) on Robotnik's eggpod for a few moments, getting hurt afterwards.