Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...
 

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

#3211 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:31 PM

  • Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Posts: 7296
  • Joined: 16-May 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Windy and Ripply City
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381

View PostAndrew75, on 12 March 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

like this ?
Scroll down to post 80 ( keep in mind this was posted before that rainbow concept art was known)
http://forums.sonicr...pic=11471&st=75

Bingo. It's not terribly different to how Sonic 2's scrapped levels found life in future games (HPZ Rock art in Sonic Spinball, as well as Cyber City entirely, then we have Sonic 3 with nods all over the place to unused stages. Ice Cap has some of HPZ's elements redone, for example.)

Except in this case, the level was killed so early on, bits of it could be sneaked in across other parts of the game

#3212 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

  • Posts: 2859
  • Joined: 14-December 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostGeneHF, on 11 March 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

It was a parallel to Marble Zone. This is pretty obvious.

When R2 got killed, bits of it were spread across all the levels. I don't remember the specifics, but some of them stick out when you examine the levels.


Not so fast, Tidal Tempest IS a parallel to marble zone too. The point is: when R2 existed (pure Marble Zone), R3 was very different (pure Labyrinth Zone) (scrapped Lz badniks say hello). Current Tidal Tempest is (Labirynth+Marble).

#3213 User is offline Rika Chou 

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

  • Adopt
  • Posts: 5061
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:CA US
  • Wiki edits:4
I wonder if that explains that strange blue fire object that pushes you.

That one object just always seemed so strange to me.
This post has been edited by Rika Chou: 13 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

#3214 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1205
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostRika Chou, on 13 March 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

I wonder if that explains that strange blue fire object that pushes you.

That one object just always seemed so strange to me.

Ahh man, good catch!


View PostMaster Emerald, on 12 March 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

View PostGeneHF, on 11 March 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

It was a parallel to Marble Zone. This is pretty obvious.

When R2 got killed, bits of it were spread across all the levels. I don't remember the specifics, but some of them stick out when you examine the levels.


Not so fast, Tidal Tempest IS a parallel to marble zone too. The point is: when R2 existed (pure Marble Zone), R3 was very different (pure Labyrinth Zone) (scrapped Lz badniks say hello). Current Tidal Tempest is (Labirynth+Marble).

Totally think so too! especially with the leaked R2 sprite resembling the LZ badnick.

This leads to a question for Taxman, How did you find the badnic zone assignments , were they in folders labeled R2 ? or did someone working on the original CD spill the beans?
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 13 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

#3215 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

  • DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Posts: 7787
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
So this game won Windows phone game of the year and Sega won best publisher in the Pocket Gamer awards.

Great job on this port again dude. And hopefully this is a wake up call for Sega, we like good classic Sonic games.

#3216 User is offline Twimfy 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

  • Posts: 180
  • Joined: 10-March 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Project:My 3rd iOS game.

View PostDark Sonic, on 26 March 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

So this game won Windows phone game of the year and Sega won best publisher in the Pocket Gamer awards.

Great job on this port again dude. And hopefully this is a wake up call for Sega, we like good classic Sonic games.


Just saw this on Twitter.

Congrats, well deserved.

#3217 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

  • Posts: 8902
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Spain
  • Wiki edits:18
Wow, that's quite the achievement, congratulations!

#3218 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

  • Gimme waffles!
  • Posts: 770
  • Joined: 16-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53
Yup, that's amazing !

#3219 User is offline Jason 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

  • *Results not lab tested.
  • Posts: 1011
  • Joined: 20-October 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Clarksburg, MD
Bumping for sonicblur's discovery of level layouts for Taxman's original stages Desert Dazzle and Final Fever:

View Postsonicblur, on 03 May 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any new codes in Sonic 1's level select. January's update to Sonic CD was awesome, but that will go into the Sonic CD thread. (R2 & R9)


#3220 User is offline You-Are-Pwned 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: 28-August 10
  • Gender:Male
The strange thing is that the Android version of Sonic CD released in 2011 and the one released in January 2014 is still 1.0.6. That's weird. I'll make a gameplay video if possible.
This post has been edited by You-Are-Pwned: 04 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

#3221 User is offline Retroman 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

  • Now I'll show you!
  • Posts: 398
  • Joined: 18-September 09
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Project:Sonic Advance Sonic Worlds

View PostTwimfy, on 26 March 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 26 March 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

So this game won Windows phone game of the year and Sega won best publisher in the Pocket Gamer awards.

Great job on this port again dude. And hopefully this is a wake up call for Sega, we like good classic Sonic games.


Just saw this on Twitter.

Congrats, well deserved.

Congratulations Tax Man and SEGA Sonic Team, mostly Tax Man since he made his engine and ported elements to it to make a 1:1 accurate game!

Emulated Games are just lazy. They tried it, and got some money, but not as much as Sonic 1, 2 and CD Taxman Releases! Games need to be recreated and added features to keep it up to date with current times!

If Sonic 3 & K has online multiplayer + leaderboards, that will be awesome! Though he should look at Sonic 3 Complete and do something similar, but different
This post has been edited by Retroman: 04 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

#3222 User is offline Lambda 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

  • Posts: 130
  • Joined: 09-January 12
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Theta

View PostJason, on 04 May 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Bumping for sonicblur's discovery of level layouts for Taxman's original stages Desert Dazzle and Final Fever:

View Postsonicblur, on 03 May 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any new codes in Sonic 1's level select. January's update to Sonic CD was awesome, but that will go into the Sonic CD thread. (R2 & R9)


Wait... what makes the new January update awesome? Did I miss something?

#3223 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

  • Posts: 728
  • Joined: 18-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostJason, on 04 May 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Bumping for sonicblur's discovery of level layouts for Taxman's original stages Desert Dazzle and Final Fever:

View Postsonicblur, on 03 May 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any new codes in Sonic 1's level select. January's update to Sonic CD was awesome, but that will go into the Sonic CD thread. (R2 & R9)


Actually Mistergambit hinted at it in a PM when he asked me how to test modifications on hardware. I was looking for changes to Sonic 1 at the time and probably would've checked CD next, but that made me move to CD right away.

Yes, there are now folders for R21A and R91C which seem to have been added in a recent update. Desert Dazzle is actually referenced in the level list in GameConfig.bin, so it's probably on the Retro Engine Dev Menu. I tried it by swapping the R21A folder with R11A to replace Palmtree Panic. I wasn't going to post any details until I've had a chance to look over everything to see if it's possible to access normally. It's a little bit harder to harvest codes from Sonic CD since they're not an obvious string of numbers (04010206, etc) like Sonic 1 and 2.

But I guess for the PC version, your only chance of playing it there would be to grab the Data.rsdk from the iOS version which would probably work although I haven't tried that. I'll post more when I know more. From an accessibility standpoint it might just be better if I posted a patch that could be applied to the PC version to play it...
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 04 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

#3224 User is offline You-Are-Pwned 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:03 PM

  • Posts: 46
  • Joined: 28-August 10
  • Gender:Male
sonicblur, what Mac version of Sonic CD is that? As far as I know, Sonic CD isn't officially out for Mac OS X.

I tried porting Desert Dazzle to the Steam version instead of recording it the usual way from an iPad. Here's what came out of it:


This post has been edited by You-Are-Pwned: 04 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

#3225 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

  • The saber calls for its master...
  • Posts: 5115
  • Joined: 27-February 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Quartz Hill, California
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
EDIT: Nevermind, thats what I get for leaving tabs open.

I want to play that soo bad now.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 04 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

  • 220 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 213
  • 214
  • 215
  • 216
  • 217
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

  1. Google