Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic CD now out for everything except Nintendo consoles

#2896 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

• I abuse text smilies way too much.
  • Project:Art Assets for a Game Project
  • Wiki edits:2
Not having a level select sucks. Sure, there's a time attack mode, but I only get one life and no ability to choose Tails. :| I'm not going to lie, this port is a big letdown. I was hoping this port would resolve a lot of flaws and stupid oddities from the original game, but it didn't other than allow me to use a spindash that doesn't suck and loop the music. Here are a list of things that should've been implemented.

-Allow me to disable the time limit. I get time over'd constantly in this game while trying to search for things.
-Give me a good level select.
-Allow playing as Tails to at least give you some kind of reward. I can understand why some achievements are disabled for Tails, but I can't have any of the extras unlocked from playing as him and I can't unlock a single achievement with him. The fact I can't even play as him in the time attack is also pretty irritating since I don't get a level select.
-Cleaner picture options. I don't understand why my emulator games should look sharper than this game. Nostalgia doesn't look bad, but playing Sonic CD on an emulator gives me a sharper picture.
-Customizable controls? Not everyone uses 360 emulation for their controllers.

I don't understand why none of these things were implemented. It doesn't seem I'm asking much to have these things implemented. I know I mentioned some of this in the past, but it really frustrated me just now when I wanted to play a certain level as Tails but couldn't so I felt like ranting.

Edit-

Is this game goddamn serious? There isn't time travel in time attack mode? Really? You know what would have been awesome? If you could unlock the ability to play any damn level starting at any time period. That would've been awesome.
This post has been edited by W.A.C.: 21 February 2012 - 04:55 AM

#2897 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:02 AM

• don't get butthurt if your get memed on
  • Project:Scriptwriting, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostW.A.C., on 21 February 2012 - 04:47 AM, said:

Is this game goddamn serious? There isn't time travel in time attack mode? Really? You know what would have been awesome? If you could unlock the ability to play any damn level starting at any time period. That would've been awesome.

But that IS in the game. But unfortunately for you, you need to play the time attack mode to get to it. Bit of a sad twist of fate, there.

#2898 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

• Wiki edits:18

-Allow playing as Tails to at least give you some kind of reward. I can understand why some achievements are disabled for Tails, but I can't have any of the extras unlocked from playing as him and I can't unlock a single achievement with him.

...But Tails is the reward.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

#2899 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15

Not having a level select sucks. Sure, there's a time attack mode, but I only get one life and no ability to choose Tails. :| I'm not going to lie, this port is a big letdown. I was hoping this port would resolve a lot of flaws and stupid oddities from the original game, but it didn't other than allow me to use a spindash that doesn't suck and loop the music. Here are a list of things that should've been implemented.

-Allow me to disable the time limit. I get time over'd constantly in this game while trying to search for things.
-Give me a good level select.
-Allow playing as Tails to at least give you some kind of reward. I can understand why some achievements are disabled for Tails, but I can't have any of the extras unlocked from playing as him and I can't unlock a single achievement with him. The fact I can't even play as him in the time attack is also pretty irritating since I don't get a level select.
-Cleaner picture options. I don't understand why my emulator games should look sharper than this game. Nostalgia doesn't look bad, but playing Sonic CD on an emulator gives me a sharper picture.
-Customizable controls? Not everyone uses 360 emulation for their controllers.

I don't understand why none of these things were implemented. It doesn't seem I'm asking much to have these things implemented. I know I mentioned some of this in the past, but it really frustrated me just now when I wanted to play a certain level as Tails but couldn't so I felt like ranting.

Edit-

Firstly, there is a Stage Select. You need to get a best total time for the special stages in Time Attack mode that is under 5 minutes (I think 5). Then Stage Select will be in the extras menu. You can select any stage and timezone from there.

Secondly, time travel was never in time attack mode. The idea is that the focus is on completing the level in a single run through as fast as possible. Running fast would be interrupted by dodging the Future and Past posts.

Lastly, I assume you're talking about the Steam version. I wasn't working on that SKU and so I had no control over the video filtering, keyboard customization etc. The Steam version was a port of the XBLA port. My own 'native' PC version of the Retro-Engine has these things implemented (as shown below) but understand this is a project I was contracted for and therefore it's not my place to break chain of command.

Posted Image

#2900 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostThe Taxman, on 21 February 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

Firstly, there is a Stage Select. You need to get a best total time for the special stages in Time Attack mode that is under 5 minutes (I think 5). Then Stage Select will be in the extras menu. You can select any stage and timezone from there.

Oh... Can I select Tails in the stage select?

Secondly, time travel was never in time attack mode. The idea is that the focus is on completing the level in a single run through as fast as possible. Running fast would be interrupted by dodging the Future and Past posts.

The main reason it bothered me was the fact I thought there wasn't a stage select.

Lastly, I assume you're talking about the Steam version. I wasn't working on that SKU and so I had no control over the video filtering, keyboard customization etc. The Steam version was a port of the XBLA port. My own 'native' PC version of the Retro-Engine has these things implemented (as shown below) but understand this is a project I was contracted for and therefore it's not my place to break chain of command.

Posted Image

Oh my god, that looks so much cleaner. Why the hell didn't SEGA just implement the stuff you already did? :/

Edit-

I can't seem to find the special stages in time attack mode...
This post has been edited by W.A.C.: 21 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

#2901 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:51 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.

View PostW.A.C., on 21 February 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

I can't seem to find the special stages in time attack mode...

You have to get a certain time in Time Attack on the regular stages. After that there will be an arrow going down I believe. Press down and then do the special stages in under a certain time and Stage select is yours.

#2902 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
Lovely decision over at Sega to port the 360 version to the PC.

"We need a PC version."

"Can we use the one we have?"

"Nope just port the 360 version."

Same logic helped make SADX Steam come into existence. It's a port of a port of a port.

#2903 User is offline W.A.C. 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

So I just unlocked the stage select and can't select Tails...why? :(

#2904 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

There's two ways to get Tails in the stage select:
- Select a Tails game in the save menu, then exit out to the main menu (the stage select uses the currently selected player)
- Go to the Sound Test and Play PCM 32, DA 8. After the Desert Dazzle screen you'll be taken to the stage select with the player set to Tails.

#2905 User is offline HEDGESMFG 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

So I hate to continuously nag about this, but is there ANY sign of a patch coming soon? Do you still even have permission to do one, or is the release just kind of... done?

Fixing some of the time travel glitches (like the now unusable conveyor-belt hopping trick in QQ), or the fact that you seem to lose your time travel stream a bit easier than running off an edge (it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly where though) would be most helpful.

Plus, I still can't see why there's no way to modify the pause options menu to let you switch soundtracks during the game. It seems like it'd be a simple feature to add in. It's no customizable soundtrack feature, I understand, but it'd be the easiest compromise I can think of. Please correct me if I'm wrong, of course!

#2906 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22

or the fact that you seem to lose your time travel stream a bit easier than running off an edge (it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly where though) would be most helpful.

That was demonstrated on collision chaos by a member! I don't remember whom!

#2907 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

• つづく
  • Project:Drinking all the caffeine in the world, one cup at a time.
  • Wiki edits:6
PC gamers get screwed again. That's a surprise. :specialed:

#2908 User is offline Elratauru 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

• Oooh Shiny stuff! don't touch it >:(
  • Project:Web Developing Stuff! :P
  • Wiki edits:132

View PostDark Sonic, on 21 February 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

"We need a PC version."

Same logic helped make SADX Steam come into existence. It's a port of a port of a port.

Actually, its a port (to PC) of a port (From 360) of a port (from PC) of a port (from Gamecube) of a port (from Dreamcast, because SADX is not that different) :v:
But yeah, I just don't get SEGA's logic. Would not be easier and cheaper just to use the PC version already done? :v:

Aside that, Taxman, is there any hope of getting a patch or pretty much everything lays on SEGA's (Or the porter's) hands right now? Because I'd be a shame not to get the "best" version or at least a proper one with the most important stuff to me, at least filtering and control fixes D:

Edit;Typo.
This post has been edited by Elratauru: 23 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

#2909 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostElratauru, on 23 February 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 21 February 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

"We need a PC version."

Actually, its a port (to PC) of a port (From 360) of a port (from PC) of a port (from Gamecube) of a port (from Dreamcast, because SADX is not that different) :v:
But yeah, I just don't get SEGA's logic. Would not be easier and cheaper just to use the PC version already done? :v:

Aside that, Taxman, there is any hope of getting a patch or pretty much everything lays on SEGA's (Or the porter's) hands right now? Because I'd be a shame not to get the "best" version or at least a proper one with the most important stuff to me, at least filtering and control fixes D:

Hmm, it's difficult for me to talk about. The best I can give you right now is that the Windows Phone 7 version incorporates the fixes I've been working on and this should hopefully apply to the other mobile versions too.

#2910 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
When did the the WP7 version come out anyway?

• 220 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users