Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: 2D - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006: 2D Yep, Title pretty much says it.

#46 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:not posting drunk
  • Wiki edits:21

View PostP3DR0, on 14 December 2011 - 08:08 AM, said:

Clearly wasn't obvious enough

lol, just drop it. Even a passing familarity with not just the replies in this thread, but this forum in general should have been all you needed to understand what was a pretty straightforward post. Hell, the fact that it wasn't even quoting anyone should have been a dead giveaway.

EDIT: Ah, didn't notice your edits while I was typing this. I guess this is settled.
This post has been edited by corneliab: 14 December 2011 - 08:25 AM

#47 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

• Winrar?
  • Project:Heroic Multimedia
  • Wiki edits:2
So I just downloaded this, and wow. Of all Sonic games to be remade, why choose possibly the worst Sonic game in existence? Hell, they should have remade Sonic labyrinth as a platformer but kept the same speed and level design.

Obviously they have enough skill to make this game, wouldn't you want to fix the problems of the original?!? This is mind-blowing.

#48 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

• FINAL ATTACKRIDE: D-D-D-DECADE!
  • Project:Trying to figure out Sonic Heroes lighting data, anyone willing to help? D:
  • Wiki edits:5
While I personally am not opposed to the idea in general, I just gave this a spin (pun not intended), and, wow. I mean, sure, it's not that unfun to me, personally (then again, I had some fun with the real deal before, anyway), but… they really pretty much made the game EXACTLY the same. The annoyingness of the Silver-Boss-Fight, the INCREDIBLY short Jump Dash, the weird slide-somersault-thing, even the way the screen freezes for half a second on the loading screen before the level starts.

This is a bit TOO precise, they coulda really done some fixes to this compared to the source material, if you ask me.

Can't fault them for effort, though.

EDIT: Fuck Iblis.

EDIT2: Fuck this shit, and especially Tropical Jungle with it's idiotic swinging plants and the retarded Jump/Homing Attack button mapping.
This post has been edited by Herm the Germ: 14 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

#49 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

• Sports tape == toilet paper
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:8
So Pokecapn and crew played this:

This post has been edited by TimmiT: 04 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

#50 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

• Bubble wrap makes everything better
  • Wiki edits:13
So I just played this. Wow, holy shit, it's like I'm playing Sonic 2006 all over again. Seriously, this is exactly like the original 06: Impressive art, shitty gameplay. Even the Silver boss was accurately annoying, "IT'S NO USE" and all.

#51 User is offline Commando Beta 

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

I gave this a download as soon as it was out, and I find I'm at odds with this one too.

On the one hand, playing it on a 2D plane is actually much easier, and the Mach Speed sections, which are the sections in the original I had so much trouble with, have been removed. I really liked the way they did Wave Ocean, it was less frustrating than the original. I also have a soft spot for White Acropolis.

On the other hand, this interpretation still keeps a massive amount of the original gameplay, even the original Silver boss fight, which was somewhat dull and predictable in the original, and the removal of Sonic's ability to deal damage using a spin jump. Dusty Desert was actually really bad in this interpretation for a couple of reasons: first and foremost, it wasn't made clear what sand you could walk on without dying. And the later parts of the stages drop spike balls on you without a single warning too. This is one level where I honestly prefer the original version over the 2D remake of it.

I like to keep a bit of positivity if I have to write a negative review of something. The light at the end of this is that this is merely Sonic's episode. If they make Shadow's and Silver's, no doubt now they will have a better idea as to how to do things. If this comes to pass and one day, they even get to compile a full version of the game, with all three hedgehogs playable and the Final Story included, then they may even go back and change the gameplay of Sonic's levels. Despite the negativity I've said in my review, I actually find myself looking forward to any future episodes of STH2D.

#52 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Oh yeah just so you know if you did try this during the first release, he did release another version that fixed some bugs. Doesn't fix what it is though.

#53 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

• Sentient Cash Register

View PostCommando Beta, on 06 February 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

If they make Shadow's and Silver's, no doubt now they will have a better idea as to how to do things. If this comes to pass and one day, they even get to compile a full version of the game, with all three hedgehogs playable and the Final Story included, then they may even go back and change the gameplay of Sonic's levels.

I doubt it. Most of this game's biggest flaws were also in the real thing, ported over on purpose. Just look at the completely meaningless action gauge.

#54 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

View PostCovarr, on 08 February 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

View PostCommando Beta, on 06 February 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

If they make Shadow's and Silver's, no doubt now they will have a better idea as to how to do things. If this comes to pass and one day, they even get to compile a full version of the game, with all three hedgehogs playable and the Final Story included, then they may even go back and change the gameplay of Sonic's levels.

I doubt it. Most of this game's biggest flaws were also in the real thing, ported over on purpose. Just look at the completely meaningless action gauge.

I take less issue with the action gauge but I'm constantly surprised that they even replicated the empty mission objective HUD element during the score tally.

#55 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Bump. Guess whos coming next:

#56 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
Honestly, they've taken things and made them even worse. If that was even possible...

#57 User is offline ancara 

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostIrixion, on 31 March 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Honestly, they've taken things and made them even worse. If that was even possible...

Well, if they DO decide to do so, they might as well go all the way.

Heck, it might even out-do Paper Mario World.

And yes, those who know of THAT game prob. never want to hear of it ever again. :v:

#58 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hey guys guess what just posted a video update?

Thats right, this thing:

Let the bitching commence once more!

#59 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

Does it sound weird to say that it actually looks kind of fun? WAIT!! Please, put down your torches and pitchforks and let me explain...

You, over there with the mallet. Drop it, slowly... Alright.

First off, I noticed that the useless little gauge in the bottom-right corner now functions as a working boost meter. That's not completely bad. I didn't mind the Sonic Rush games, so having it use that kind of gameplay isn't an issue for me.

Secondly, there's actually a warning system for when something's approaching. If you noticed, it was yellow for if it's an enemy you can just boost through, or red if it was an obstacle you're going to need to avoid. Once you have a heads-up that something's coming, it seems as though it would be rather manageable.

My only big issue is the Portal 2 buzzer sound. It's much too loud and annoying for this. It would be much better if it was a more subtle sound, like a soft "ding" every time the warning sign flashes on screen. Still, this seems fairly playable.

#60 User is offline Chris Highwind 

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

• Bubble wrap makes everything better
  • Wiki edits:13

You might say this looks a lot like what we've seen in Unleashed or Generations, and that's actually what we were going for: a kind of mix between the mach speed area from Sonic 06 and the Unleashed/Generations engine feel.

Be sure to tell us what you think, alright? ;)

I am actually ok with this. I enjoyed the Wave Ocean mod in Generations, and I'll probably enjoy this. Going back through STH2D I actually enjoy it a bit more too.

EDIT: OHGOD WHY'D I SAY S2HD DDKFSHSIOBHJVBDVBDJ
This post has been edited by Chris Highwind: 11 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users