Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Anybody seen this guy's 16-bit renditions of Sonic Triple Trouble? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Anybody seen this guy's 16-bit renditions of Sonic Triple Trouble?

#1 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:52 AM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1

http://derzocker.deviantart.com/

Just one example, he recently put up a sheet for 16 bit level chunks for the Sunset Park levels and also has the titlescreen graphics up on Spriters Resource. I noticed him saying in the comments of one of his mockups that he'd do all the graphics and designing if someone that could make the game engine came forward. He also mentioned the "Retroboard", so maybe he's known here or hangs out, I don't know.

I haven't seen anyone at this forum comment on his stuff yet, and I know I saw someone contemplating a Triple Trouble 16-bit port in the past(Hez made graphics for the special stage if I recall correctly), so it seems like it deserves some attention at least.
This post has been edited by Shoemanbundy: 24 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

#2 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:07 AM

• Lawnmower Man Embodied
  • Wiki edits:9
I love the faux-off-screen-picture-of-an-ntsc-screen filter he has on the mock up.

I don't know why, but off-screen camera shots on NTSC screens look awesome IMO. I love looking at old magazing scans because they look like that... they often look better than the actual game IMO.

I wish someone would make a video output filter for gens that emulated that effect.

EDIT: Just checked out his other art... I love all his stuff! He's really good at imitating the style of the 90's, and he's got great taste in retrogaming hardware (referring specifically to the PC Engine CD-inspired Rockman Dash animation).
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 24 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

#3 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:19 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
It would be better if they were put into a hack rather than a fan game. It would do it justice having the correct physics because the work he's done is fantastic, though he's better off doing his own custom backgrounds instead of rehashing stuff from the likes of Sonic 1 and Sonic CD.

I would love to see and play this 16bit style and I reckon it would need different level design due to having the proper Sonic physics.

#4 User is offline Mad Echidna 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

• Gone
  • Wiki edits:4
Oh god yes. I remember playing that train boss for the first time on my Game Gear and just thinking "okay, this is seriously badass"

I want this to be a hack so badly now, or at least a fan game based on the Retro Sonic engine.
This post has been edited by Mad Echidna: 24 June 2011 - 11:55 AM

#5 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

• 2 warps to Neptune
  • Project:Blog Squirrel
  • Wiki edits:20,569
QUOTE (Cooljerk @ Jun 24 2011, 02:07 AM)
I love the faux-off-screen-picture-of-an-ntsc-screen filter he has on the mock up.

except it's not very believable

or I guess the alternative is to completely overdo the distortion like I have

but meh

it's nice stuff anyway - would be even nicer to see it in some sort of fangame/hack but these sorts of things never happen

#6 User is offline nineko 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
QUOTE (Mad Echidna @ Jun 24 2011, 06:53 PM)
Oh god yes. I remember playing that train boss for the first time on my Game Gear and just thinking "okay, this is seriously badass"

I want this to be a hack so badly now, or at least a fan game based on the Retro Sonic engine.
I know it's not the same thing, but, you can use this as an appetizer: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...st&p=415613.

#7 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Those horizontal lines he put in there would have to be vertical in order to make sense (NTSC visual tricks, yadda yadda), but it does look really cool. Except for the reused art.

A Mega Drive hack with these graphics would be godly. A fangame... just "very cool".

#8 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I wish someone would make a video output filter for gens that emulated that effect.

Are the same graphics plugins for Fusion compatible with Gens? Fusion has an NTSC plugin like that by Blargg, and it works astoundingly well.

#9 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
I always wondered why the hackers here never thought of making the Game Gear/Master System games into 16-bit hacks. I would love to see Sonic 1 Genesis/Mega Drive turned into Sonic 1 Game Gear/Master System...

This guy's art is great. Definitely a watch.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 24 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

#10 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (Lanzer @ Jun 25 2011, 12:32 AM)
I always wondered why the hackers here never thought of making the Game Gear/Master System games into 16-bit hacks. I would love to see Sonic 1 Genesis/Mega Drive turned into Sonic 1 Game Gear/Master System...

Making hacks of Sonic 1, 2, 3 and 3&K featuring respectively S1SMS, S2SMS, SC and STT levels would not only be amazingly cool, but also a neat "fake look back" at an alternative main series that could have been with 8 more bits of "power".

Yes, one can only dream.

#11 User is offline Sik 

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

• Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".
  • Project:being an asshole =P
  • Wiki edits:11
I recall seeing Aqua Planet zone being implemented before in Sonic 2, but it had the 2P Mystic Caves theme instead of its original one =/

#12 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

• Lawnmower Man Embodied
  • Wiki edits:9
QUOTE (muteKi @ Jun 24 2011, 09:25 PM)

Are the same graphics plugins for Fusion compatible with Gens? Fusion has an NTSC plugin like that by Blargg, and it works astoundingly well.

I already know about this and use it. It makes your screen look like an NTSC screen.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I want a filter that makes your screen look like an off-camera shot of an NTSC screen. Like magazine screenshots, essentially.

#13 User is offline Overbound 

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

• Project:Sonic Time Twisted Graphics/Level Design
  • Wiki edits:236
I'm actually using that train in Sonic Time Twisted. To be Specific in this level.

#14 User is offline SmashX5000 

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:40 AM

• Simply Smashing
  • Project:I'm working on a cartoon based on the Genesis games called Sonic Boom.
I've never played Triple Trouble, but this guy does do a good job of imitating the 16-bit games' style.

#15 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
QUOTE (Sik @ Jun 25 2011, 03:01 PM)
I recall seeing Aqua Planet zone being implemented before in Sonic 2, but it had the 2P Mystic Caves theme instead of its original one =/

That was probably an earlier version of S2 Advanced Edit then; even so it didn't have much in the way of slopes and loops weren't enabled.

Yes, a long, long time ago I was interested in turning Sonic 2 into Sonic Chaos in some form. Didn't work out too well (however, Hill Top looks pretty cool when one tries to turn it into Mecha Green Hill).

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users