Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 288 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!) Generations Cracked wide open (Custom Levels are an ongoing event!

#1246 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl

View PostLobotomy, on 01 March 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

So now that you have a material editor, can you fix the messed up looking floor in the beginning of Savannah Citadel?

Actually the materials are fine there. It just seems that the alpha channel is messed up for those textures. Yay for more engine inconsistencies.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 01 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

#1247 User is offline Felik 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostDario FF, on 01 March 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostLobotomy, on 01 March 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

So now that you have a material editor, can you fix the messed up looking floor in the beginning of Savannah Citadel?

Actually the materials are fine there. It just seems that the alpha channel is messed up for those textures. Yay for more engine inconsistencies.

I thought that texture is messed up because it actually is used for sonic's " leg heat" in unleashed.

#1248 User is offline LesbianPonyArmageddon 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

• Project:Pissing around with Generations files.
That blue tree looks a little bizarre, was it originally like that or is that a custom material?

#1249 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
Lobotomy, fixing your controller is as easy as downloading X360CE, running the EXE from the Sonic Generations folder, mapping your current gamepad to Xbox 360 equivalents, and saving. :P

Heck, you don't even have to map your inputs - X360CE.exe can connect to a database of mapped controls so you can just detect your gamepad and download somebody else's config file; that's what I did. You can have the quickstep bug fixed in less than 2 minutes, because I don't think Sega or Digital Details or whoever did the PC port is going to fix it (unfortunately :\).

I'll chip in and say I don't like removing dash panels, either. While it's a nice dream to hope for a Sonic game that doesn't need them, this game was designed for them. There are certain parts where they are essential for maintaining more than just speed - they're important for maintaining the flow of action. Levels need to be designed specifically to not use boosters; you can't just remove them where they were designed to go and expect it to look right.

#1250 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
Thanks to Dustarma, I fixed my controller. I only removed one essential dash panel, though, which I'm putting back next revision.

There are exactly three speed boosters in green hill that are mandatory for proper flow. None of the ones in loops are mandatory, since you auto run through them.

The other ones aren't essential unless you are completely retarded. I'll demonstrate this next video.
This post has been edited by Lobotomy: 02 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

#1251 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

• Tech Support Hotline

#1252 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

• Cat-herder
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
"I AM (s)PECIAL"

I lol'd. =P How many more stages are there left to do, now?

#1253 User is offline DustArma 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

• Project:Learning Python.

View PostOverlord, on 02 March 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

"I AM (s)PECIAL"

I lol'd. =P How many more stages are there left to do, now?

Cool Edge, Jungle Joyride and Rooftop Run which are giving them issues with the havok physics.

#1254 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

• Tech Support Hotline
Oh crap, I could've sweared I had removed that annotation.

Dragon Road, Cool Edge, Adabat, Rooftop Run, and Eggman Land can't still be finished. Dragon road just needs some layout work, and Eggman land well... it's quite peculiar. :v:

The main problem with the other three is the Havok bug we mentioned a few pages ago. We gotta find a way to override and amplify the world bounding box, because the default generations world bounding box for Havok is way too small. Anything that gets outside of it just gets the Havok simulation to stop. (EDIT: For that particular object, e.g., enemy particles stop in the air past the point of no return)
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 02 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

#1255 User is offline Lobotomy 

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

• Oh, that hit single "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)"?
  • Project:Fixing Generations FOREVER, Project: In Silico, Unleashed PC Beautification.
  • Wiki edits:94
Oh man, this is looking good. Do you know if there is any way to make the stomp and slide function as they did in Unleashed? I haven't found anything that does it in the .xml. I know it keeps you from stopping dead, but I kinda like how well you flow with this. I don't know if I missed it or what, but nothing related to stomping or sliding that I have edited has made it so I can emulate it.
See 0:16-0:20 in the following video:

I guess I didn't answer this.

View PostTheKazeblade, on 29 February 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Still seems to be a lot of friction on that roll. However, this was really neat to see! Will future tweaking be taking place :)?

Yeah, I'm trying to find exactly what's causing all of the friction, but honestly, I haven't looked that hard :U, and yes, I'll be tweaking as much as I can.
This post has been edited by Lobotomy: 02 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

#1256 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
So I remember a while back someone was doing an animation/model swap to put modern Sonic in classic Sonic's levels so that modern played like classic. Has anyone thought of doing the same thing with classic Sonic (Replace modern Sonic's model with classic's model/animations)

#1257 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

• "We'll Be Like Torches! Torches Together!"
Out of curiosity, is it possible to import the lighting from Unleashed into Generations, or at least emulating the style? I've always been a fan of the high-contrast style it had, and I'd be curious to see what Generations would look like using the style!

#1258 User is offline Twilightzoney 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

• Project:Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
Anyways, in the land of Mazuri things finally got a little less empty all of the sudden.
Spoiler

Just needs to be able to be collided with Sonic so it curves/bends over when he runs through it.

Edit: Got that colliding thing fix up.
This post has been edited by Twilightzoney: 04 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

#1259 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Now to just fix the alpha blending and we're golden!

#1260 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
Well so nobody looks for the collision problem we were having...

Guess who helped us fix it?
Posted Image

Turns out this guy's stage was SO big, that the stage file definition needed a custom world min/max bounds. This is related to the Havok problem we were having, and I was getting worried the bounds were hardcoded into the game.

<World>
    <Min>
      <x>-10000</x>
      <y>-10000</y>
      <z>-10000</z>
    </Min>
    <Max>
      <x>10000</x>
      <y>10000</y>
      <z>10000</z>
    </Max>
  </World>

Luckily they're not, so yay! We can finally work on Cool Edge, Rooftop Run, and Adabat(yeah, this one's going to be very hard to port). Also this is good news for anyone who was thinking in doing custom stages yet, since there's no limit to how long they can be. :)

But yes, Time Eater was a shitty boss, but I would've probably never guessed this if it wasn't for him. :v: It's all forgiven.

Now to just fix the alpha blending and we're golden!

And Normals. And shadows. And breakable objects. And reflections. And animations. We've got a long way to go, but things are looking up. :)
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 04 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

• 288 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users