Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Replacing svn with git/Mercurial - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Switch to git, switch to Mercurial (hg), or stay with Subversion (svn)?

1: Switch to git, switch to Mercurial (hg), or stay with Subversion (svn)?

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Replacing svn with git/Mercurial

#31 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
QUOTE (sonicblur @ Jul 4 2011, 07:26 PM)
If the performance bottleneck for SVN is the result of the web interface and not the VCS itself, why not use both Git and Hg and attach the web interface to the lighter of the two sides?
http://hg-git.github.com/

Wait seriously? ...I like this. It'll keep everyone happy. Git users can use Git, Hg users can use Hg.
Cool suggestion, sonicblur!

#32 User is offline Conan Kudo 

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:15 AM

• 「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一
  • Wiki edits:14
QUOTE (Techokami @ Jul 6 2011, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (sonicblur @ Jul 4 2011, 07:26 PM)
If the performance bottleneck for SVN is the result of the web interface and not the VCS itself, why not use both Git and Hg and attach the web interface to the lighter of the two sides?
http://hg-git.github.com/

Wait seriously? ...I like this. It'll keep everyone happy. Git users can use Git, Hg users can use Hg.
Cool suggestion, sonicblur!

Except.... hg-git doesn't actually work with repositories outside of github very well. I don't know why, but it doesn't. I've certainly tried! Also, hg-git doesn't work the way you seem to think it does. It doesn't emulate the full host interface that git uses, it just emulates enough of the basic protocol that you can do basic pulls and pushes, and unfortunately it is brittle as heck. I can't even get hg-git to properly switch branches or handle repository merging. It won't work right.
This post has been edited by Conan Kudo: 07 July 2011 - 03:33 AM

#33 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
How would I go about downloading the entire svn repo, including all history? Or would I need to grab it off the server itself?

#34 User is offline Hendricks 266 

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

• Wiki edits:58
git-svn checks out the entire history by default.
This post has been edited by Hendricks 266: 07 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

#35 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
Yes but (apparently, as someone else tested it) running git-svn directly to the server didn't work (and is a bad idea anyway, apparently)...
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 07 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

#36 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

• GOTH GOTH GOTH
  • Project:Conquering the games industry
  • Wiki edits:36,091
Hello I am the reason the server messes up half the time please find a suitable replacement

I have tried to convert the SVN to git in the past and it chokes on errors. I'm really tempted to just take a snapshot of the current revision and go from there on either git or hg.

#37 User is offline FraGag 

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

• Project:an assembler
  • Wiki edits:6
Exasperated by how MSYS fails to handle Unicode, I decided to give Cygwin a try. The Cygwin libraries work with UTF-8, just like Linux does by default on most systems, so Cygwin-based applications automatically support Unicode. In particular, I tried git in Cygwin, and it works perfectly when I push a repository to Github: file names and commit messages are displayed correctly. I suppose installing Python and Mercurial in Cygwin would lead to the same results without having to use the fix-utf8 extension, but now that git works well with Unicode, I'd rather we switch to git. :P

Scarred Sun, if you can't import the history from the svn repository into the new git/hg repository, would it be asking too much to keep the svn repository online (but not WebSVN), read-only, so we can retain that history? Alternatively, there's probably a way to make the whole repository available without keeping an svn server up.

#38 User is offline Conan Kudo 

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

• 「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一
  • Wiki edits:14

View PostFraGag, on 11 October 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Exasperated by how MSYS fails to handle Unicode, I decided to give Cygwin a try. The Cygwin libraries work with UTF-8, just like Linux does by default on most systems, so Cygwin-based applications automatically support Unicode. In particular, I tried git in Cygwin, and it works perfectly when I push a repository to Github: file names and commit messages are displayed correctly. I suppose installing Python and Mercurial in Cygwin would lead to the same results without having to use the fix-utf8 extension, but now that git works well with Unicode, I'd rather we switch to git. :P

Scarred Sun, if you can't import the history from the svn repository into the new git/hg repository, would it be asking too much to keep the svn repository online (but not WebSVN), read-only, so we can retain that history? Alternatively, there's probably a way to make the whole repository available without keeping an svn server up.

That requires installing Cygwin and all the requisite crap it wants... I really don't think people want to do that just to pull from the repo...

#39 User is offline FraGag 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

• Project:an assembler
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostConan Kudo, on 14 October 2011 - 05:35 PM, said:

That requires installing Cygwin and all the requisite crap it wants... I really don't think people want to do that just to pull from the repo...

I'm sure we (I?) could create an installer with the bare minimum (unless that already exists), for those who wouldn't otherwise use Cygwin. By the way, I tried git gui, and it sadly has some encoding issues. The file names and commit messages are processes using the system's ANSI code page; however, adding files with that wrong encoding seems to work just fine (it calls the git program behind the scenes). The only issue would be if you typed a commit message containing characters outside of ASCII. Maybe I could try making a Cygwin-based shell extension...

#40 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
For people that only want to get stuff from the repo, isn't that what websvn/gitweb/whatever is for?

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users