Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition Update 7/18/2014

#1 User is offline Morph 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:42 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA2 netplay & hax, SADX:FE
  • Wiki edits:11
Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition is something I started working on for my own use, just to fix random crap that bothered me. The plan is to "fix" as much as I possibly can over time to, sort of improve SADX by fixing odd texture stuff, inconsistencies, level glitches, etc.

Here's a changelog of this version:
(not really a spoiler spoiler)
Spoiler

And here's a screenshot:
Posted Image
See a problem there? No? Good! You're not supposed to. This is the random ring capsule (and the speed shoes, but that's not as important). Normally when you get one of these, the numbers are all offset and screwed up, taking a chunk of the ring in the image with it. I fixed it.

Also this:
Posted Image
Better shot of the water, the texture of which is from the GameCube version of Sonic Adventure DX. (As opposed to the neon blue water as seen in the SADX Preview proto, SADX PC normally, SADX XBLA, and SADX PC 2010)

And last but not least:
Posted Image
IT'S THAT RHINO TANK... that I believe they may have fixed ONCE in some version of SA1 for the Dreamcast. This Rhino Tank usually spawns in the ground, falls into the pit, dies, respawns, repeat; so I just moved it up a bit, and that was that.

You can download what I've got so far here: (10/15/2012)
Full package:
Download for SADX PC 2004 (Retail)
Download for SADX PC 2010 (Steam/Dreamcast Collection edition) - Mirror (requires patch below): (Dropbox - zip) by Stevoisiak

(No patch available this time; full package only)
Patch to upgrade 10/15/2012 version to 7/18/2014:
Download for SADX PC (Universal)
Details on applying the patch are here.

SADXPC 2004:
To use this, you need to do the following:
(Note: If you plan on modifying this for whatever reason, this is built off of the 2004 US Sonic Adventure DX PC executable)
  • Go to where you installed Sonic Adventure DX, find the "System" folder, and make a duplicate of it (yes, and everything in it).
  • Rename the duplicate to "SADXFE"
  • Extract the content of the 7z to the same place that the SADXFE and System folders are, and replace anything that it asks.
  • Run SADXFE.exe to play, and have fun.

SADXPC 2010 (Steam/Dreamcast Collection edition):
Note that the SADXFE EXE is not compatible with this version of SADX, but all of the resources are.
  • This is optional, but I recommend backing up the "SoundData" and "system" folders.
  • Extract the content of the 7z for this version into the folder containing the SoundData and system folders, and replace whatever it asks.
  • Start the game up as usual and have fun.

Please tell me what you think, if there's anything you'd like to see fixed, etc.

If you're not using SADX 2010 and want to use your 360 controller, you can use the 360 controller patch, which you can get here: http://x-hax.cultnet...SADX360Patch.7z
This post has been edited by Morph: 20 July 2014 - 04:07 AM

#2 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Wow, neat. thanks much for this! some of those things bugged me as well.

#3 User is offline JcFerggy 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

• Yum
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source
  • Wiki edits:57
Just a quick question, but do you have any screens comparing the visual changes that you have made? I don't want to install the game again to check.

#4 User is offline Dude 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43
Did you fix the mis-rotated rock piece in emerald coast part 1 - you know, that giant rock tower that goes up to the lighthouse? One of the branches to that tower is mis-aligned. It's a simple fix really but most people don't notice it.

#5 User is offline Morph 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
QUOTE (JcFerggy @ May 18 2011, 07:25 PM)
Just a quick question, but do you have any screens comparing the visual changes that you have made? I don't want to install the game again to check.

Left = before, right = after

And this one makes it obvious which one is my fixed one:

QUOTE (Dude @ May 18 2011, 07:45 PM)
Did you fix the mis-rotated rock piece in emerald coast part 1 - you know, that giant rock tower that goes up to the lighthouse? One of the branches to that tower is mis-aligned. It's a simple fix really but most people don't notice it.

I don't think I did. I'll take a look.
Edit: OK, I see what you mean. I remember seeing this before actually; I totally forgot about it. I'll go try to fix it now.
This post has been edited by Morph: 19 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

#6 User is offline Morph 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
Sorry for the double post, but I just fixed what Dude mentioned. If you already downloaded the previous version for SADX PC 2004, simply download this patch: http://sf94.reimuhakurei.net/SA/DX/FE/SADXFE%20B1%20Patch.7z
EDIT: Oh look, the permissions for this link here were f'd. Fixed; you can actually download it now.
The SADX PC 2010 version remains unchanged, since we haven't hax'd into that one enough to modify level models in it.

I aligned it the best I could, and I think I got it just right so you can't see through it. (as seen >here<, you could see through it originally. And teamviewer was running, so it stole my aero =P)
This post has been edited by Morph: 19 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

#7 User is online Mr Lange 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Helix, NASF DX, Sonic Overture
I'm loving this idea and the project. I bet this could get really elaborate. In fact, let me know when you fix the cutscene animations so they don't horrifically suck, I may have to send you money.
Actually joking aside, if that's something that can be worked on, please let me know, I'd love to do the animation.

#8 User is offline Dude 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

• 3ds MAX Help Desk
  • Project:Sonic Adventure Generations
  • Wiki edits:43
QUOTE (Mr Lange @ May 19 2011, 09:23 PM)
I'm loving this idea and the project. I bet this could get really elaborate. In fact, let me know when you fix the cutscene animations so they don't horrifically suck, I may have to send you money.
Actually joking aside, if that's something that can be worked on, please let me know, I'd love to do the animation.

It's possible, yes. I don't see it being very easy though. The mouth movements are all vertex animations, and the locations of each morph target are well known.

Also, might I suggest making all of the buildings in speed highway solid? In fact, making alot of the background models solid would make the game alot more believable.

#9 User is offline Morph 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
QUOTE (Mr Lange @ May 19 2011, 06:23 PM)

As Dude said, it is possible to do, but it'll most likely be pretty hard to pull off.

QUOTE (Dude @ May 19 2011, 06:46 PM)
Also, might I suggest making all of the buildings in speed highway solid? In fact, making alot of the background models solid would make the game alot more believable.

Hm... I may do that.

By the way, it turns out that the fixed random ring capsule icon things don't work 100% the same in SADX PC 2010, so I may make a separate version of them specifically for it at some point.

#10 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:00 AM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
Well even beyond mouth movements, is it possible to make it so the characters don't run in place in like half the cutscenes? That always looked cheesy to me. This project is a great idea though, unleash this games full potential by fixing all the crap in it.

#11 User is offline Hendricks 266 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

• Wiki edits:58
How about the bug where you can hear the player hit the floor at the beginning of each cutscene? It's a nostalgic bug, but still a bug.

#12 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

• Wiki edits:41
Or adding in some of the sounds or special effects missing from the original game (a few unused sounds such as Tails retro flying sound is in the games memory too) or maybe add the tracks intended to play in certain areas (eg. Calm After The Storm on the crash landed variant of the Egg Carrier, the Hedgehog Hammer theme not activated in the Adventure Field version) don't know how possible it is to implement them but they'd make a nice touch.
This post has been edited by E-122-Psi: 20 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

#13 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ May 20 2011, 12:00 AM)
Well even beyond mouth movements, is it possible to make it so the characters don't run in place in like half the cutscenes? That always looked cheesy to me. This project is a great idea though, unleash this games full potential by fixing all the crap in it.

I don't know how the cutscene script works, but it's probably hardcoded, which makes it difficult (not impossible) to edit.

QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ May 20 2011, 09:46 AM)
Or adding in some of the sounds or special effects missing from the original game (a few unused sounds such as Tails retro flying sound is in the games memory too) or maybe add the tracks intended to play in certain areas (eg. Calm After The Storm on the crash landed variant of the Egg Carrier, the Hedgehog Hammer theme not activated in the Adventure Field version) don't know how possible it is to implement them but they'd make a nice touch.

The first seems simple enough, find the place where it says to play the music, and add code to check for the character and the "Egg Carrier sunk" event flag, except that we only know where that is for Sonic right now. The second I'm not so sure about, it's probably simple, but I don't know.
Of course, this requires coding in x86 asm.

#14 User is offline E-122-Psi 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

• Wiki edits:41
QUOTE (MainMemory @ May 20 2011, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (E-122-Psi @ May 20 2011, 09:46 AM)

The first seems simple enough, find the place where it says to play the music, and add code to check for the character and the "Egg Carrier sunk" event flag, except that we only know where that is for Sonic right now. The second I'm not so sure about, it's probably simple, but I don't know.
Of course, this requires coding in x86 asm.

Shame it's not Gamma, he's about the only one who really needs it for his Adventure mode.

Is there a flag that activates for when the Hedgehog Hammer game activates after Amy stands on it? If there is a way round it there may be a convinience in that the Egg Carrier music resets straight after the minigame is over (suggesting it was meant to be put in the Adventure mode variant at some point).

#15 User is online Mr Lange 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

• A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys.
  • Project:Helix, NASF DX, Sonic Overture
QUOTE (Morph @ May 20 2011, 03:40 AM)
QUOTE (Mr Lange @ May 19 2011, 06:23 PM)

As Dude said, it is possible to do, but it'll most likely be pretty hard to pull off.

I'd enjoy helping make that possible. Contact me if you decide to work more on it.

Also someone suggested improving sound effects. That too is a department I'd like to help with.

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users