Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Megathread October 27, 2011: Street Date Broken

#9616 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:07 AM

• Word up Vex
  • Project:Concepts...
  • Wiki edits:2
Those branching paths in Modern Sky Sanctuary...... *drool*

I know it's really to be expected at this point, but are the speed boosters really necessary in Classic Seaside Hill while being chased by the stone wheel? I mean really, the spindash could do the exact same thing.

Nitpicking aside, this game looks fucking sexy. Glad I already pre-ordered it.

#9617 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:15 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.

View PostZephyr, on 15 October 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

I know it's really to be expected at this point, but are the speed boosters really necessary in Classic Seaside Hill while being chased by the stone wheel? I mean really, the spindash could do the exact same thing.

Truthfully I wouldn't even be thinking of the spindash because of the "OH SHIT RUN TO NOT DIE" that would be going through my head.

#9618 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.

View PostZephyr, on 15 October 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

Well, if it weren't for the spindash hotkey, I'd say that's one of the situations where a few boosters are really just a little bit of a godsend. If you had to build up speed in such sections, then if you stumbled to a halt at the wrong moment, it might be impossible to build up speed in time to avoid certain death. Those stones DO roll after you pretty fast. A few boosters here and there might mitigate that.

But the "press to go ZOOM!" spindash hotkey kinda blows that argument out of the water at this point.

#9619 User is offline STHX 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:22 AM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
Posted Image

That looks like a neat cameo there. I wonder if there is one above each Zone.

#9620 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.

View PostSTHX, on 15 October 2011 - 05:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

Bonus points if all three models of the Genesis/Mega Drive make an appearance in this fashion.

#9621 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178

View PostAzu, on 15 October 2011 - 03:02 AM, said:

Also, fangames already? Oh YouTube users.
http://sandbox.yoyog...nic-generations

August? That's nothing. This one's been around for about 5 months. :v:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZGuU4i-StzU

People seem to have an obsession with making "fangames" within the first few weeks after we get a teaser trailer for a new game. For views or whatever, I guess.

#9622 User is offline Lapper 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:46 AM

• Sonic 2 HD - Sprite Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:111

View PostAzu, on 15 October 2011 - 03:02 AM, said:

Also, fangames already? Oh YouTube users.
http://sandbox.yoyog...nic-generations

Well, that's actually an interesting concept. I might try that at some point.

#9623 User is offline Indigo Rush 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

View PostSolaris Paradox, on 15 October 2011 - 05:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

Bonus points if all three models of the Genesis/Mega Drive make an appearance in this fashion.

Looks to me like that's how you get to the Genesis Emulator.

#9624 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:54 AM

• Wiki edits:27
Just watched the new footage, and I have to say my anticipation for this game is only on the increase! = ) Modern Sky Sanctuary looks very nice, both in terms of gameplay flow and the look of the thing. In particular, I'm loving how the interiors of the buildings take on a darker and bluer tone that's mildly reminiscent of S&K's Hidden Palace Zone.

Classic Seaside Hill is the real treat here, though - look at all that underwater gameplay! = D The lower route seems very different from the stage it's based on but chock-full of references to water levels from throughout the series. The modern version of the stage gets bonus points for remixing both the Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace themes in terms of both the level design and the music. It's nice to see that SEGA acknowledge that Sonic Heroes basically had a two-act stage structure throughout the entire game, and thus consider the two levels as parts of a single stage. I'm surprised that they've used Spina variants rather than the Egg Flappers from Heroes in this stage, though - however, it does give the enemies some much-needed visual variety.

Death Egg Robot seems short but sweet - though I think once I've unlocked the Hard Mode version I probably wouldn't revisit the normal one. 4 hits is a little short even for a first boss - I would have preferred 6, with 3 hits per phase. Hopefully the Hard Mode will bump it up to around 8. Nice to see that the "Change Music" option applies to bosses too - I'm hoping the 3DS remix of the Big Arm theme and Sonic the Fighters' Death Egg theme are selectable alternatives for this one. = D Having said that, though, the Sonic 2 Final Boss remix is rather epic and sets the tone perfectly.

Overall, looking forward to this more the more I see. = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 15 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

#9625 User is offline Kail 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

• His Royal Kailness
  • Project:http://www.destroyallslackers.com
  • Wiki edits:6
More from what I asked Aaron Webber at NYCC:

No Classic Knuckles or Classic Amy, no explanation for it. Every level has a reference to another level, as we've already seen, and surprisingly enough the little brother of the dude from Cash Cash who sang Reach for the Stars BEGGED sega to let him do some remixes for the game because he's a huge Sonic fan, and that's why we have endless mine in city escape. He's apparently a brohog (coining term now since the bronies got a level up on us in terms of unification).

ALSO OF FUCKING INTEREST TO THE STORY:

When you rescue a character that particular character reacts to which Sonic rescues them. Say you rescue Amy as Classic Sonic, she'll be like "wtf", but you rescue her with Modern, she'll be like "omg ily" This gives you a great reason to replay the game.

Don't remember if he told me this on camera or if he told me this before, we had a little bro-moment talkin about Sonic at the Nintendo booth before the camera crew got there, but when my new show launches this week you'll get to see the clip in all it's glory. Also talked to the Archie bros.

#9626 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

• GOTH GOTH GOTH
  • Project:Conquering the games industry
  • Wiki edits:36,091

Posted Image

Majesco manufactured the Genesis 3, so I hiiiighly doubt that.

Also, I was pretty certain that the character list (and who will be classic/modern) hasn't been a secret for quite a while now.

#9627 User is offline Sonic Warrior TJ 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

• White Franklin Clinton
  • Wiki edits:21
I think a few folks were still holdin' out hope for Classic Amy and Knuckles though, what with the theme of the game and the fact that toys of each are currently on the market.

I didn't notice the little Genesis/Mega Drive before. That probably is how you get to Sonic 1.

#9628 User is offline Jaseman 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

• The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer!
  • Project:Some unamed Sonic hack
  • Wiki edits:16
I love how everybody loves this Cash Cash guy for coming up with the Endless Mine/City Escape remix even though our own N00neimp0rtant beat em by a year and a half. Note Cash Cash nor anyone at Sega credits him.
Skip to 5:21

This post has been edited by Jaseman: 15 October 2011 - 09:03 AM

#9629 User is offline Kogen 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

• Derp
  • Project:Last Party on the Moon
  • Wiki edits:28

Posted Image

Majesco Genesis Model 3 can represent the modern games.

#9630 User is offline Kail 

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

• His Royal Kailness
  • Project:http://www.destroyallslackers.com
  • Wiki edits:6

View PostJaseman, on 15 October 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

I love how everybody loves this Cash Cash guy for coming up with the Endless Mine/City Escape remix even though our own N00neimp0rtant beat em by a year and a half. Note Cash Cash nor anyone at Sega credits him.
Skip to 5:21

Oh wow I never knew that, and n00neimp0rtant is one of my favorite dudes on the interbutts. The problem is those songs just genuinely go together VERY well and it's very noticeable if you know music, so it wouldn't be too far off to say it's a coincidence, but he might've easily heard n00neimp0rtant's mix before and conciously/subconciously taken it.

• 776 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users