Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Megathread October 27, 2011: Street Date Broken

#706 User is offline BlobVanDam 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

I wasn't crazy about the look of it. Classic Sonic didn't look as good in game as he did in the trailer, and I'm not just talking about the rendering quality. The mesh looked like early 3D Sonic quality.
And the level looked monstrous, just like it always does in the 3D games. Why? It shouldn't need to be if you have precise 2D controls. Wasn't crazy about the level design, although they are doing it right this time and adding a lot of depth to the look of the level instead of making it flat. So there is definitely potential. Just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Can't wait to see some other levels, and more gameplay footage. There's definitely potential here for this game to be good.

#707 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:38 AM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (BlobVanDam @ Apr 19 2011, 03:34 AM)
I wasn't crazy about the look of it. Classic Sonic didn't look as good in game as he did in the trailer, and I'm not just talking about the rendering quality. The mesh looked like early 3D Sonic quality.
And the level looked monstrous, just like it always does in the 3D games. Why? It shouldn't need to be if you have precise 2D controls. Wasn't crazy about the level design, although they are doing it right this time and adding a lot of depth to the look of the level instead of making it flat. So there is definitely potential. Just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Can't wait to see some other levels, and more gameplay footage. There's definitely potential here for this game to be good.

The "monstrous" look is the bigness, yes? I think this is mostly just art style at work. There is, for example, literally no reason the checkered corkscrew should be so massive, good 2D control or no.

It may also be that the graphics are meant to be used by both Sonics... which might explain the massive corkscrew, actually.
This post has been edited by Solaris Paradox: 19 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

#708 User is offline BlobVanDam 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Apr 19 2011, 05:38 PM)
QUOTE (BlobVanDam @ Apr 19 2011, 03:34 AM)

The "monstrous" look is the bigness, yes? I think this is mostly just art style at work. There is, for example, literally no reason the checkered corkscrew should be so massive, good 2D control or no.

It may also be that the graphics are meant to be used by both Sonics... which might explain the massive corkscrew, actually.

Yeah, I just meant the bigness. Aside from that, it wasn't bad. If it's the exact same level being used for both modern and classic Sonic but with different gameplay, that would explain it. The levels looked moderately linear in the 3D segments, so that seems plausible.

#709 User is offline Sonica 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:59 AM

• You spin me right round.
  • Project:Meh. This and that.
  • Wiki edits:111
Ohh.. wait.. Classic Sonic voice acting? Also evidence of boost for C.Sonic?

Look at the trailer at 0:19 (or just after 0:18).

You get M.Sonic's 'hmpf!' sound, like when he boosts or something.

Hmm.
This post has been edited by Sonica: 19 April 2011 - 04:04 AM

#710 User is offline Xeric 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

• Mighty Fanatic <3
  • Project:Mighty Adventure
I was hoping Tails and Knuckles would be Playable too, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Not that I'm complaining, the game still seems glorious.

Perhaps we'll see the classic versions of Tails, Knuckles and Amy? They are getting toys released so it's possible they coinside with the release of Generations.

I hope we get Emerald Coast or Windy Valley as part of the Dreamcast Era.. maybe even City Escape.
This post has been edited by Xeric: 19 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

#711 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:09 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
Ya know how we are getting another game with Green Hill Zone, I hope Sega don't bring back that ball and chain boss again. You would think after using it four times throughout the Sonic series that they would bring something new to the table.

#712 User is offline FlackoWeasel 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:20 AM

• Wiki edits:2
I really like what I see in these videos. I'm only concerned about the C.Sonic physics, I tried to look at the jumps and the rolling part carefully to see does it still stops suddenly, so far I did not see these things. I'm looking forward to new stuff and I'd actually be very interested how would classic Tails look in that classic style. (If they include him there)

#713 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:22 AM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
Oh, now THAT'S a nice-looking GHZ.
I mean, I'm by no means happy that it's GHZ #9001, but the whole semi-surreal holy shit look at all that wacky geology pissing crikey is the kind of thing I've been wanting to see for like a decade. OMG

Presence of Classic Sonic? Uninterested.
Uber-rehashed level trope? Uninterested.
Psycho vertigo level design? DO WANT

EDIT:
QUOTE (Solaris Paradox @ Apr 19 2011, 08:38 AM)

Sweet Jesus, how can you not think that's awesome??!

They're not going to run out of room in the game by putting giant features in the levels, you know.
This post has been edited by Frozen Nitrogen: 19 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

#714 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15
Putting aside the amazing depth of the level backgrounds for a moment... (and I'm pretty much joking here considering how wankerish the request is) I wish they'd bring back some of the old fonts for the game's typography. Sort of like this:

#715 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:57 AM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:Who knows? Toss a coin, will ya?
  • Wiki edits:27
I'm not reading all the recent replies to see if anyone else thinks the same thing as I: that the physics for Classic Sonic are just Unleashed physics minus the new moves and plus a spin-dash and roll.

Whichever, I'm 100% certain they're not the classic physics. At this point I don't care, I think this is as good as we're going to get. I'm excited.

#716 User is offline corneliab 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:02 AM

• Isn't it about time you played some VIDEOGAMES?
  • Project:not posting drunk
  • Wiki edits:21
Man, I would love it if Hydrocity showed up in this game. Hell, the thought of ANY Sonic 3 zone possibly making the cut gets me all stupid.

#717 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:07 AM

QUOTE (Sonica @ Apr 19 2011, 09:59 AM)
Ohh.. wait.. Classic Sonic voice acting? Also evidence of boost for C.Sonic?

Look at the trailer at 0:19 (or just after 0:18).

You get M.Sonic's 'hmpf!' sound, like when he boosts or something.

Hmm.

I don't know how to explain that burst of speed, but that's not his voice. It's a stock sound clip that sounds like it was added to the wrong part of the trailer. Unleashed trailers has misplaced sound effects, and in Colours trailer they couldn't decide which sounds they wanted. In this gameplay footage, you never hear C.Sonic say anything, but M.Sonic is as loud as he was in Unleashed.

QUOTE (Jayextee @ Apr 19 2011, 10:57 AM)
I'm not reading all the recent replies to see if anyone else thinks the same thing as I: that the physics for Classic Sonic are just Unleashed physics minus the new moves and plus a spin-dash and roll.

Doesn't look like it's that simple. C.Sonic runs through the air and seems to be less sticky than the 2D gameplay in Unleashed. That only make be wonder if M.Sonic and C.Sonic 2D behaviour differences might be a bit awkward or jarring.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 19 April 2011 - 05:10 AM

#718 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:14 AM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
If we get the classic Eggman/Robotnik back in this game (as hopefully confirmed by that signpost), I hope he has his mannerisms from the OVA. I'd love to see him bouncing around all over the place in this game's cutscenes, again for the whole contrast thing classic/modern characters will possibly have.

Otherwise, the only thing I have against this game is the wait. Judging by what we've been able to see though, the game looks very polished graphically and I'm hoping that same level of polish carries over into everything else, which it looks like it has so far. Three to four more months should do wonders for this game.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't make a post last night? Okay. This game looks fucking glorious and is pretty much the Sonic game I've been dreaming of ever since I first played the classics back in 2002. I always held hope that someday we'd see Sonic running through those locales and having them look better than ever, and this game is answering my dreams. If it wasn't for Skyrim I could easily buy both versions of this game and not feel any regret. It's just perfect. I feel proud to be a Sonic fan again.
This post has been edited by Mykonos: 19 April 2011 - 05:26 AM

#719 User is offline Mr. Mash 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:53 AM

• All fanbases are awful
  • Project:drawing
It actually does look like they had a look at Sonic Fan Remix and decided to do that themselves.
I'm glad they're not teasing us with little pieces, and they've just came right out and shown actual gameplay. I'll probably end up buying an xbox just for this. One thing that annoyed me in Colours/Unleashed's 2D sections was that you unroll from jumps so you can't do sweet-ass badnik/monitor bounce combos without homing attacking each time. Also rolling. Rolling is cool.
This post has been edited by Mr. Mash: 19 April 2011 - 05:57 AM

#720 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:03 AM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
QUOTE (corneliab @ Apr 19 2011, 11:02 AM)
Man, I would love it if Hydrocity showed up in this game. Hell, the thought of ANY Sonic 3 zone possibly making the cut gets me all stupid.

Must we rehash again? Really?
Don't encourage their laziness of imagination, dude.

• 776 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users