Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Generations Megathread October 27, 2011: Street Date Broken

#316 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
QUOTE (Lobotomy @ Apr 10 2011, 05:58 PM)
Does anyone else think that the trailer is merely a teaser, and the story will likely not have two Sonics? My best guess is that there will be some kind of interchangeable skin between modern and classic Sonic.

This will probably be the case, but if nothing else, some Unleashed-styled shorts of interaction between classic and modern characters would be great. Modern Sonic spouting off Colors-esque quotes "BEST BOSS BEATING EVER!" with Classic Sonic facepalming, incarnations of Tails trying to outdo each other with inventions, and both Knuckles being suspicious of each other in regards to guarding the Master Emerald...there are great possibilities for humor there.

#317 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:56 AM

• Hurry up Nights, Reala is going to do 9/11 !!
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (Mykonos @ Apr 11 2011, 03:17 AM)
incarnations of Tails trying to outdo each other with inventions

Classic Tails wasn't a Fixer Sue. Put them both in the same game and he'd be the only one actually doing anything.

#318 User is offline Mester Keel98 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

• Stuck in the past
  • Wiki edits:3
So no one (or almost no one - I may have skipped a post or two) has had the idea that if there were levels being redone from older games, that the respective Sonic would be used for that level? Think about the supposed name, "Sonic Generations," for a bit.

Just throwing that out there. Beats one Sonic being the other's son.

also invisible embeds suck
This post has been edited by Mester Keel98: 11 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

#319 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

• It was a dark and stormy night...
  • Project:making all his nowhere plans for nobody.
  • Wiki edits:1
The fact that we were introduced to modern Sonic running in Green Hill Zone seems to fly in the face of that theory though.

(I'm hoping we can mix and match now that I've just visualized the hilarity of Classic Sonic in City Escape).
This post has been edited by Clutch: 11 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

#320 User is offline STHX 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31
I understand what you all are saying, after all this is just a teaser. However, the Werehog appeared (almost) in the teaser for Unleashed, and he was in the game. The teaser for Colours had Wisps. It's a teaser, but judging by the previous teasers Sonic had, I think it's pretty obvious we can expect Classic Sonic to have a role in the game, even if the whole idea of 2 Sonic may sound stupid.
There must be a reason why Sega showed Classic in that teaser, especially considering all the details they put on him. There is no way he is just a cameo.

#321 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

• EXTRAPOLATE REGENERATE
  • Project:Losing control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Ritz @ Apr 11 2011, 12:56 PM)

Classic Tails wasn't a Fixer Sue. Put them both in the same game and he'd be the only one actually doing anything.

Everytime I hear this it annoys me so mkuch. Classic Tails was clearly developed already with the mechanical child idea even before Sonic Adventure- Sonic OVA being an example.

As for Sonic Generations, I am cautiously happy with the teaser. Even if it'll have no story, it seems it'll be a fun idea.

#322 User is offline David The Lurker 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:35 AM

• For some mysterious reason...
  • Wiki edits:1,239
QUOTE (The KKM @ Apr 11 2011, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (Ritz @ Apr 11 2011, 12:56 PM)

Everytime I hear this it annoys me so mkuch. Classic Tails was clearly developed already with the mechanical child idea even before Sonic Adventure- Sonic OVA being an example.

As for Sonic Generations, I am cautiously happy with the teaser. Even if it'll have no story, it seems it'll be a fun idea.

You don't even have to go back to the Sonic OVA to show off Tails' mechanical prowess. In the manual for Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (the Japanese one, of course) it talks about him creating a Jewel Radar, which alerts him to the existence of Angel Island and the Chaos Emeralds that reside there. And why does Tails end up right behind Sonic before the events of Sonic 2? Because he was attracted to the Tornado. Sure, he had been following him around previously, but he wasn't right next to Sonic all the time. If he hadn't seen the plane on the beach, he might not have been the constant companion. Even if you don't want to go with the manuals, he is seen flying the plane in Sonic 2, and attaches some sort of rocket to the bottom. And a magnet to attract the Master Emerald in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. If he wasn't already inclined to invent, then how did he do that? And that's not even getting into the Sea Tail that was used in Tails Adventures and Sonic & Tails 2 for the Game Gear. So yes, if a classic and modern version of Tails were to meet, they could certainly have invention fun.

As for the game itself...ok, yes. I can repeat everyone and say I got excited about seeing classic Sonic running around once more. But at the end of the day, we don't know anything else about the game. We don't know how it will play, or if the rest of the art design will be like that trailer, or...anything. So we all are just in a sea of baseless speculation where we go on about what our favorite level is and hope it gets into the game. Unlike the Sonic 4 trailer, though, I am not given a sense of dread. And I don't know if that should scare me or not. If it turns out good, then good! If it's bad...then we just have another to add to the list, except this time it will have the classic version of Sonic along for the ride. I just want the game to try and be as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, if not better. I certainly want it better than Unleashed/Colors. No, I'm not saying Colors was bad. I'm saying I want this game to be better than Colors.

#323 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
Well, I wasn't meaning that Tails is only good for making things, I just thought it was a cute little idea.

psyduck.png

I do wonder what the range of characters will be though. This seems like the perfect title to get multiple playable characters in to please that portion of the fanbase (let's face it, we've had quite a few "Sonic only" games for a while, it couldn't hurt to let a few characters back into the limelight, provided they aren't hindering/drastically different). Eggman is a given, probably Tails/Knuckles, but I wonder if they're keeping this pre-Adventure, post-Adventure, or altogether. Hopefully we'll get a little info on what this is all about next week.

#324 User is offline Malpass 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

• Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992.
  • Wiki edits:20
QUOTE (Mykonos @ Apr 11 2011, 11:16 PM)
Well, I wasn't meaning that Tails is only good for making things, I just thought it was a cute little idea.

psyduck.png

I do wonder what the range of characters will be though. This seems like the perfect title to get multiple playable characters in to please that portion of the fanbase (let's face it, we've had quite a few "Sonic only" games for a while, it couldn't hurt to let a few characters back into the limelight, provided they aren't hindering/drastically different). Eggman is a given, probably Tails/Knuckles, but I wonder if they're keeping this pre-Adventure, post-Adventure, or altogether. Hopefully we'll get a little info on what this is all about next week.

Probably pre-Adventure, but they could throw Shadow in.

Just as long as they leave Big out of things, it couldn't be that bad.

#325 User is offline Toasty 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

• BulbaSAUR!
  • Wiki edits:3
It's hard to comment on the trailer since there's not really much gameplay, but it's really pretty, it's nice to see classic Sonic in HD. I never played Sonic Colors, Sonic Unleashed, etc. so maybe I'll pick this game up when it's released. Gonna be safe and check the reviews though, it's really hard to justify the $60 price tag of video games nowadays. Hopefully this is released on all three platforms, I'd rather play it on my PS3. wink.png

Classic Sonic is so cute and cuddly though. <3

#326 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

• Erinaceous!
  • Wiki edits:5
They could go the Megaman 10 route (with Bass) and make classic versions of the more recent characters too. Classic Sonic fans would be torn in different directions by the presence of a classic styled Shadow and whatnot, on the one hand despising them for what they represent and on the other hand being unable to help themselves for their love of things that prey on their nostalgia.

#327 User is offline trakker 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

imagegone* don't kill me

I think at most though, they will stick with the Colours formular, so if we se any other retro characters, it will just be Tails and Eggman/Robotnik, very possibly Knuckles, it just depends on how classic Sega are going with this.
This post has been edited by trakker: 11 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

#328 User is offline trakker 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (JackSkellinghog @ Apr 12 2011, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (InstantSonic @ Apr 12 2011, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (trakker @ Apr 11 2011, 06:45 PM)
fanart

I would have never cared for Sega or anything related if this were something legit. I'm not sure what your point was here, exactly.

Not only does this have nothing to do with this game, Sonic Retro is not a place to show off your newest photoshop. In other news, do we have any more info on this title? Or are we still speculating assbrows.

I don't think its possible to be anything BUT a "speculating assbrow" at this point.

Sorry about the image, people were speculating about additional retro characters, and I just provided an image I made a while back of such a thing, sorry if it was illplaced, last thing I need is a second suspention caused by a personal oversight.

If I may indulge a theory about the abundance of white in the background in the trailer, unless said already, perhapse because this would be part of the opening. Now that the two Sonics have come together, the colour will expand out around them and building levels for the next 90 seconds (estimate) as they run through it, kinda adding colours "Deblob" style.
This post has been edited by trakker: 11 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

#329 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
QUOTE (trakker @ Apr 12 2011, 12:25 AM)
Sorry about the image, people were speculating about additional retro characters, and I just provided an image I made a while back of such a thing, sorry if it was illplaced, last thing I need is a second suspention caused by a personal oversight.

"Additional retro characters" more implies characters that already had retro appearances, ie. Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, etc. Not the newer ones in a retro-esque form or look.

#330 User is offline BuffaloWilder 

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

• One of these men cannot be right.
  • Wiki edits:1

I'm absolutely loving this - with one small contention.

What's always been so implicitly cool about the look of Classic Sonic is that potent mix of cute and dangerous, something probably best demonstrated in the Sonic CD animations - here, they've gotten the cute down for the most part, but I'm not seeing too much of the edge, that furrowed brow, that sardonic smirk, just yet. I mean, that's the kind of stuff that defined Sonic's personality, back when. Hopefully, it isn't missing from the finished product, because otherwise they've visually gotten the character down-pat perfectly - and nobody, but nobody, can say Sega is willfully ignoring their fanbase at this point.

• 776 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users