Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Retro visually mentioned in the newest ep of Pop Fiction - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sonic Retro visually mentioned in the newest ep of Pop Fiction Topic: The Hidden Palace Zone!

#16 User is offline Aesculapius Piranha 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:06 AM

• つづく
  • Project:Drinking all the caffeine in the world, one cup at a time.
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Ritz @ Apr 1 2011, 08:10 PM)
It's cute to see there's still so many folks out there who don't know about all this. It should go without saying, but it's pretty easy to take this stuff for granted after 10 years!

Should've dropped a Dust Hill screenshot somewhere to really fuck the server over.

You ain't kidding... it's been more than 10 years since I was all amazed by this as well, I remember one of my first posts was a Genocide City "theory" that was more just my imagination running wild with an unsubstantiated rumor of someone claiming they played it.

Sometimes I still think of making my own obviously wrong interpretation of the zone...

But yeah, shoulda blown their minds with the off center Dust Hill screenie.

#17 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:12 AM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
Do any of their other videos credit the respective sites more directly than "logo on the first pic"?

#18 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:57 AM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
Nope.

Why get wound up over it? If you're a Sonic fan, you know about this site to some capacity (be it "that place with all the hacks" or "that site with the idiotic members who won't shut up about Sonic 4.")

Besides, if it bugs you that much, just plug the site in the comments.

Also, no, the site slowdown today had nothing to do with traffic. And no, it wasn't a really lazy April Fool's joke. It was some other components being stupid.

#19 User is offline InstantSonic 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:43 AM

• Just add water!
  • Wiki edits:94
What bothers me the most about that video is the fact that they're citing all these wiki articles, yet they call Yuji Naka "Sonic's creator," hurdur. Also a little off-topic, but the guy who narrates those videos needs to express himself instead of just reading out the lines. It's like he's paid to be devoid of any and all emotion.

#20 User is offline SomeSortOfRobot 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

• Project:http://lucy-comic.com/
QUOTE (GeneHF @ Apr 2 2011, 12:57 AM)
Why get wound up over it?

It's really more of a professionalism thing.
Let's just say that if they were publishing this in a book, it would be considered plagiarism. Just saiyan.

#21 User is offline steveswede 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

• Project:Bowel reconstruction
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (SomeSortOfRobot @ Apr 2 2011, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (GeneHF @ Apr 2 2011, 12:57 AM)
Why get wound up over it?

It's really more of a professionalism thing.
Let's just say that if they were publishing this in a book, it would be considered plagiarism. Just saiyan.

And how would you enforce that considering the wiki has been built from hundreds of people that have submitted tools and knowledge for free. Also it would be a bit hypocritical to claim plagiarism when this site primary function is hacking copyrighted material and distributing hacks.

Professionalism my arse. That kind of thinking makes you sound like a Sony lawyer.

#22 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

• Classier than you'll ever be.
  • Project:オノマトペ大臣
  • Wiki edits:381
A book being published and a video series online are quite different.

Books are usually sold for profit, meaning they'd be making money, with no credit to us. This isn't really a pay-for thing as it is a guy just doing an online video series of various gaming myths. It's as innocuous as a YouTube video, only with nicely done effects instead of generic colored screen with grotesque font styles and colors.

Trust me, I get what you're saying with professionalism, but... this is far from professional and really isn't worth getting wound up over. We're not in THAT desperate a need for getting our name around anymore, even if it's just the principle of the matter.

#23 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5
Way to be 10+ years late to the party!

Comments like these were rather sickening:

I can always appreciate good investigative work. Well done GT.

WOW holy shit! that was something new! Great job GT you out did yourself. seriously wow

and then there's information like this that GT left out/could have been more clear with:
Great!!! but there's something I don't understand, if the level was shown fully playable, howcome it didn't make it into the final release?

They ran out of time to finish what they wanted the level to do. Wasn't there an issue with raising the water level and having the Y-value loop back to the bottom of the screen? Maybe that's just an old theory, idk.

And then there are comments like these that can be easily reconciled. We need to point them to Retro:

I still have my Genesis attached to my HD tv and a copy of Sonic 2, but sadly no Genesis Game Genie to test this out.

#24 User is offline Phos 

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

• Going for the high score on whatever that little bar is
This reminds me of when news channels first started trying to integrate the internet into their broadcasts, it usually just consisted of an anchor reading verbatim off of a computer screen.

#25 User is offline Neko Kit Su 

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

• I've never had a title, and I never will!
  • Project:Freelance
  • Wiki edits:10
Comments kind of remind me of being a newb to the whole cut game content scene. Way back in 1999, 2000 with Area 51 and various Zelda sites (that later reconciled to Zelda Coalition, now dead).

I spend my time at TRCF nowadays, drooling. I welcome all newbs who come here, too. Fresh meat. v.png smile.png

We all were newbs once, right?
This post has been edited by Neko Kit Su: 01 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

#26 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

• Winrar?
  • Project:Heroic Multimedia
  • Wiki edits:2
This video reminds me of when we had almost no information on the subject. Nostalgia time!

#27 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
Good that SR got a free plug.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users