Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Long Forgotten Sonic Heroes Tech - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Long Forgotten Sonic Heroes Tech Look what I found

#31 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
Short answer should be that, considering the SDK has been released onto the data highways and allows to create new BSPs with it's plugins in THEORY at least, it should be possible. Not sure what the status is on them there collision maps, however. Plus, Heroes is extremely sensitive to changes it appears.

#32 User is offline GerbilSoft 

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:34 PM

• RickRotate'd.
  • Project:Gens/GS
  • Wiki edits:5,000 + one spin
Super bump: Does anyone have a copy of the RW SDK? The original link is MegaUpload, which is obviously no longer functional.

I'm looking into implementing widescreen hacks for Sonic Heroes and Shadow in Nintendont, and having the RW SDK would help immensely. (Both games use RenderWare.)

#33 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostGerbilSoft, on 22 February 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

I'm looking into implementing widescreen hacks for Sonic Heroes and Shadow in Nintendont, and having the RW SDK would help immensely. (Both games use RenderWare.)

Have you tried doing it without the SDK? I originally tried to take the reverse engineering approach when I started doing the first widescreen codes for Dreamcast games, and found it was actually quicker to follow the brute-force approach.

There are a few different things you can search for with the brute force method, the easiest to start with is just search memory for all instances of floating point 1.0. Then try updating maybe 20 of those at a time to something like 0.75 until you see the resolution get crushed or the camera zoom out. At that point, you can narrow it down to the address that messed it up and look nearby for the appropriate values you want to change in the same struct. (On Dreamcast, a lot of games used 320.0 internally which became a useful value to search for as well, but I doubt that would be the case on Gamecube.)

#34 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:11 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

Super bump: Does anyone have a copy of the RW SDK? The original link is MegaUpload, which is obviously no longer functional.

How much proof do you have that Shadow uses Renderware? I only ask because this came up on my... Twitter? Tumblr? Something social-media-y a few months ago

My memory on the matter is that Sonic Team at the time claimed Shadow was an all-new engine, which matches with the fact that Sonic Heroes includes the RenderWare logo on the back of the game box, but Shadow does not. I think RenderWare is mentioned in the Sonic Heroes credits, too, and is absent from Shadow's

#35 User is offline DinnerSonic 

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:40 AM

• Never Posting Since 2004!

I can't find the original file on my PC yet, but I found what I believe to be the contents of it. Might include some extra files, I believe I tried to use it to get models from Heroes for a friend and I'm not sure what is meant to be there and what I added, but it might help for now.

#36 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:35 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostBlazeHedgehog, on 23 February 2016 - 12:11 AM, said:

How much proof do you have that Shadow uses Renderware? I only ask because this came up on my... Twitter? Tumblr? Something social-media-y a few months ago

My memory on the matter is that Sonic Team at the time claimed Shadow was an all-new engine, which matches with the fact that Sonic Heroes includes the RenderWare logo on the back of the game box, but Shadow does not. I think RenderWare is mentioned in the Sonic Heroes credits, too, and is absent from Shadow's

I recall back when I was messing with Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog files (man, has it been years already?) I found that the stage lighting data at least is somewhat compatible from Shadow to Heroes, so I do believe there's at least some correlation between the two engines. DFF files seem notably absent, though? Might be worth investigating the BSP format in Shadow, though, to see if there's any file-format-similarities.

#37 User is offline Morph 

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

• AKA SonicFreak94.
  • Project:SA1/2 hax
  • Wiki edits:11

View PostDinnerSonic, on 23 February 2016 - 12:40 AM, said:

I can't find the original file on my PC yet, but I found what I believe to be the contents of it. Might include some extra files, I believe I tried to use it to get models from Heroes for a friend and I'm not sure what is meant to be there and what I added, but it might help for now.

Thanks, this should come in handy with the PC version of Heroes at least. Do post if you find the original though, and I'll mirror it as well.

#38 User is offline total 

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:26 AM

• Wiki edits:1

How much proof do you have that Shadow uses Renderware?

Posted Image
This post has been edited by total: 27 February 2016 - 03:27 AM

#39 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51

View Posttotal, on 27 February 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

How much proof do you have that Shadow uses Renderware?

Posted Image

I wonder if that's properly licensed or if they did that in secret :v:

#40 User is offline Elliot Gindi 

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

• Project:Brawl Minus
I wonder if it would be possible to use this to "fix" the pc release. Or is the community waiting for a new port?

#41 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults

View PostElliot Gindi, on 01 June 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

I wonder if it would be possible to use this to "fix" the pc release. Or is the community waiting for a new port?
Why does the PC release need "fixing"?
For me, at least, it's always worked very well.

#42 User is offline Elliot Gindi 

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostAtendega, on 02 June 2016 - 07:48 AM, said:

Stuff like widescreen, bringing it up to snuff with the Gamecube release. You know, like the kind of fixes SA1/2 got on PC. They really enhance the game for me.

#43 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

• Lesser Sea Sponge
  • Project:Collecting insults

View PostElliot Gindi, on 02 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Stuff like widescreen, bringing it up to snuff with the Gamecube release. You know, like the kind of fixes SA1/2 got on PC. They really enhance the game for me.
SA1 never got those fixes for the PC version. The fans fixed it. And there are, in fact, existing patches that allow you to play the PC version of Sonic Heroes in full HD/widescreen.

EDIT: Direct link to the fix I've been using. It's worked well for me.
This post has been edited by Atendega: 02 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

#44 User is offline Elliot Gindi 

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

View PostAtendega, on 02 June 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostElliot Gindi, on 02 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

SA1 never got those fixes for the PC version. The fans fixed it. And there are, in fact, existing patches that allow you to play the PC version of Sonic Heroes in full HD/widescreen.

EDIT: Direct link to the fix I've been using. It's worked well for me.

Yeah that's what I mean, fan fixes. SA1 and 2 get a lot of love here but Heroes modding is at 0 from what I see.

Thanks for the link though, will try.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users