Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Long Forgotten Sonic Heroes Tech - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Long Forgotten Sonic Heroes Tech Look what I found

#1 User is offline princeofknaves 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

• Project:Entropy Engine, Knuckles The Echidna Game
While I was looking over an old Hard Drive and trying to restore corrupted data I found an old RenderWare Graphics installation I had.

I'm not sure if releasing the source code falls under the no posting a complete game rule as it isn't a game but is commercial software, albeit outdated but still.

#2 User is offline Techokami 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

• For use only on NTSC Genesis systems
  • Project:Sonic Edge
  • Wiki edits:63
I would definately be interested in looking at this. A potential means to rip Sonic Heroes level geometry? Hell yeah!

#3 User is offline princeofknaves 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

RW 3.7 Never say I am not a giving man.

#4 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Just curious but, is anyone really interested in Heroes level geometry for anything other than archiving's sake?

#5 User is offline Vaiz 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

• these beats are too strict.
  • Project:Internet.
  • Wiki edits:92
QUOTE (AerosolSP @ Mar 11 2011, 06:53 PM)
Just curious but, is anyone really interested in Heroes level geometry for anything other than archiving's sake?

I think Heroes has some of the most creative Sonic level geometry (The actual designs, not the layouts.) in the last decade, so yes. I'd be super okay with seeing a super good layout being made out of seaside hill pieces in Sonic GDK or something.

#6 User is offline Aerosol 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

• FML and FU2
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
Sonic GDK! Didn't think of that.

Forward with full steam gentlemen!

#7 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
Huh. This might make things more interesting in my endeavors to do stuff with this game -- thanks for that.

#8 User is offline Dude 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

• Project:Random VR/AR trash
  • Wiki edits:43
QUOTE (AerosolSP @ Mar 11 2011, 09:53 PM)

Have levels, will port to SADX. I am definitely interested in this. This doesn't export to anything though, as it's a viewer right?

#9 User is offline princeofknaves 

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Dude @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 PM)

Have levels, will port to SADX. I am definitely interested in this. This doesn't export to anything though, as it's a viewer right?

No it's the complete SDK for the graphics API. It includes 3DS Max exporter, I never got it to work though.
This post has been edited by princeofknaves: 11 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

#10 User is offline total 

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:02 AM

• Wiki edits:1
For those, who might be interested:
  • no need in rw sdk (it is quite useless in my opinion) if one wants to get levels' geometry. Because
  • There is rwsreader lib.
  • you have to figure out collisions format for anything else.
  • everyone here hates heroes lol.

Good luck with that though.
Maybe I'll come back to it sometime.
This post has been edited by total: 12 March 2011 - 03:03 AM

#11 User is offline evilhamwizard 

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:31 AM

• Wiki edits:109
I'm interested in seeing if someone can view the models for the E3 Xbox version of Sonic Heroes, since that has some data for levels that aren't playable in the demo.

But the file format is an older version than the one used in the PC version, so no current tool can properly make use of the files.

#12 User is offline total 

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (evilhamwizard @ Mar 12 2011, 04:31 PM)
But the file format is an older version than the one used in the PC version, so no current tool can properly make use of the files.

Have you even tried to look at formats first? There are no major differences between "newer" and "older versions". All essential chunks are the same. Get rwsreader already or google "renderware dff format" (or something like that). There are lots of info about chunks used in file formats (dff, anm, bsp), so you can make a proper tool for that.

#13 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
I don't really wanna bother making an entirely new topic for this, so I figured, since we're talking about Sonic Heroes editing here anyhow, I may as well notify ya that I think I FINALLY figured out a solution to the whole Mipmap-trouble. Whatcha need is a folder with all the files from the TXD-archive ye wanna try and edit (including the Alphas for those files that actually have them) -- I recommend ViceTXD for this step — change the files within the limitation of the pre-established file-dimensions and when yer done, use the rather obscure tool G-TXD to create a new TXD archive. It's gotta be in Vice City format for what we're planning.
Import all the files from that folder with your edited and remaining textures. It should recognize the appropriate alphas automatically by filename. Now, you gotta create them mipmaps -- select the files to receive them, enter the number of mipmaps to be generated (e. g. 6 for 32x32 textures, 7 for 64x64, 8 for 128x128 etc.) and when yer done, save the fucker.
But even if you replace the file like this now, you'll find the game will crash upon attempting to load it. What do? Open it up in ViceTXD, "replace" any given texture with it's identical counterpart from your folder and watch it auto-save. Lo' and behold, it should work perfectly fine now.

I have so far only tested it on the common effects texture archive, but, I'm confident it works with the rest of the game as well.

#14 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

• It was a dark and stormy night...
QUOTE (Dude @ Mar 11 2011, 10:35 PM)

Have levels, will port to SADX.

Fuck yeah. I'm totally in favor of this.

#15 User is offline DustArma 

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

• Project:Learning Python.
I guess the levels would require some minor edits, to make up for the lack of Fly/Power formations and blue tornado.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users