Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SEGA Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition releasing in US on PCs - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

SEGA Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition releasing in US on PCs March 15th

#1 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/02/17/genes...;ve-collection/

Probably alot of games that were already released in the recent 4 volume genesis collection, also on PC. 46 genesis games anyway.

I think this is a list of the games avaialable. http://dailyblam.com/news/2011/02/17/sega-...6-classic-games

Wiki page Sega Genesis Classic Collection Gold Edition
This post has been edited by MathUser: 18 February 2011 - 09:33 PM

#2 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

• Wiki edits:10

C'mon, Sega. Genesis collection this, Genesis collection that. It's getting friggin' old! Are you REALLY making that much moolah off of these obvious cash grabs? Can't you release a collection of something new?

I mean, on consoles it kinda makes sense, but this is the PC. I figure most people I know are probably going to be using Kega Fusion or similar instead of whatever emulator you're using underneath that shitty front-end that destroyed S3&K's save feature in favor of its own inferior one.

#3 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
I dunno; I happen to actually like paying for games when I can, so if this sells for less than $40 I'll at least consider it. Besides, it has a few games that I don't yet have in my collection, and since I've been using the Megacart I haven't been as excited for getting hard copies of games.

The one thing I dislike about these collections is that there aren't (like in, say Sonic Jam) any reprints of the original manuals, just a single page bit with the most bare-bones description of the games and controls thereof. Seriously, just give us a folder full of all of them, as PDFs or something. I don't see why it's so hard to do that!

EDIT: Oh, and Super Thunder Blade but no Super Fantasy Zone???? What the fucking hell is up with that?
This post has been edited by muteKi: 17 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

#4 User is offline Ben Laserlove 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Jesus fuck, Sega. When these collections stop selling, I hope to god that you start your legal rom-distributing service.

#5 User is offline Kail 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

• His Royal Kailness
  • Project:http://www.destroyallslackers.com
  • Wiki edits:6
What I don't get is - why do people keep BUYING these? There's so many of them! They've been releasing packaged versions of old Sega games since AT LEAST the 6-Pack for Genesis, probably even before then, Sonic Compilation, 2 in 1 Sonic Classics? C'mon!

#6 User is offline SomeSortOfRobot 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:54 PM

• Project:http://lucy-comic.com/
Hey Sega, remember... the Master System? Or the Saturn? Or you know... those... other... systems...

I mean, don't get me wrong, the Genesis is fucking perfection, but I would love to also see downloadable versions of all the games I missed, Saturn especially.
This post has been edited by SomeSortOfRobot: 17 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

#7 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

• Wiki edits:10
Indeed.

GameTap had a few Saturn games on its service, until they decided to ape Steam for all it's worth and ditched the "arcade/console classics on your computer!" thing almost outright. They had announced that NiGHTS was going to come to the service and teased that they could release Panzer Dragoon Saga if demand was high enough, and followed through with neither. There's been absolutely no word on the Saturn front since.

Sega, seriously. I spent $160 on PDS already, and am certainly crazy enough to spend $60 on it (amongst others) again. I'd even spread as much word-of-mouth about it as I feasibly could - and that's just one game on a console that has several awesome games to be rereleased.

Also, you had a good 32X emulator and (somewhat slow) Dreamcast emulator on GameTap, too. Use 'em.
This post has been edited by Shadow Hog: 17 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

#8 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
Keep in mind guys that there are some people who still don't have internet in this world, so this compilation is probably a good alternative. There's also those who refuse to take part in any kind of piracy as well.

Personally, I love playing the Sega Compiliations. The emulation's only as good as Gens but it's always interesting to see if anything new gets put on it or not. (though usually not the case these days. Ultimate Genesis Collection had SOR 1 and SOR 2 as well as the far superior arcade version of Altered Beast.) I imagine they may stick a few other titles on here just for variety.

Hey guys, Sonic 3 and Knuckles in on there. Interesting considering it's been omitted from the past few compilations released after Mega Collection Plus. Though I wish it was getting a console release. That would have made this compilation a little more exciting. Maybe releasing it with Revenge of Shinobi and Eternal Champions would too but they'd have to patch the ROM of ROS to make Spiderman pink and Sega doesn't patch ROMs for compiliations and if EC were included, chances are that the game would get a T Teen rating and Sega refuses to have their compiliations any higher than E 10+. (personally, I don't really care if EC1 was included or not because the Sega CD title is far superior to it. ROS is a must though.)

Hey, well what do you know? They aren't including SOR 3 in this compilation. Gee.... I wonder why... could it have anything to do with the fact it's a disgrace to the franchise due to the censorship and SOA's marketing team being a bunch of idiots? (and yes, I can confirm it was SOA's marketing team that made the huge overhaul decision for SOR 3's US localization.)

Anyway, I'm gonna stop there before I end up going overboard with the rants.

#9 User is offline Clutch 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

• It was a dark and stormy night...
  • Wiki edits:1
I can agree with that. I understand that Saturn and 32X emulation is supposed to be much harder, but Knuckles Chaotix seemed like it ran without any hassle in Gametap, in-browser. Why they haven't given it a chance anywhere else, I don't know. I still refuse to believe there's "No Market" for that PS2 remake of NiGHTS from a few years ago either, and that was only one game.

I've been able to play Sonic Jam recently thanks to good man Ch1pper...I was floored by how much extra content was made available in a game so old. Sure there's only the basic "Sonic 1-3K and Lock-On" in terms of selection, but even then the games were given greater individual attention: full manuals, and even new modes added to them. That's not even getting to Sonic World. We came from this this to presentation that screams "Here's a glorified list of roms and some basic emulation options. Enjoy!"

#10 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

• 走日駆
  • Project:Conquering the games industry
  • Wiki edits:36,091
BUT I ALREADY PAID $3 FOR ECCO JR ON STEAM sad.png

#11 User is offline 8bitdanooct1 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Clutch @ Feb 17 2011, 03:15 PM)
Sure there's only the basic "Sonic 1-3K and Lock-On" in terms of selection, but even then the games were given greater individual attention: full manuals, and even new modes added to them. That's not even getting to Sonic World. We came from this this to presentation that screams "Here's a glorified list of roms and some basic emulation options. Enjoy!"

Exactly my opinions on the subject. These collections and rereleases could actually be worth something if Sega would put in the effort and allow for full PDF manuals and extras for each game, hell, I'd buy it if it would come with that. If they could do it before then there's no reason that they can't do it now. Then again, it IS Sega we're talking about.

#12 User is offline DC.17 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

• Trouble keeps you runnin' faster.
I wont lie; I thought they already released a "Gold Edition" of this thing. . . there are an awful lot of these, though. I don't see why they keep pumping them out, I'm sure they can't be selling THAT well. . . and it's just a re-release of it for the PC. . isn't it?
This post has been edited by Sinky-Chan: 17 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

#13 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

• Wiki edits:136
Can we get a Saturn Collection for once?

1337th post. :V
This post has been edited by Moonshadow Caz: 17 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

#14 User is offline DC.17 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

• Trouble keeps you runnin' faster.
I'm guessing it's just Genesis 'cause when I tend to talk to people who don't know games well, all they know about Sega is the Genesis. I don't think I know anybody (outside of the internet) that knows even the Sega CD. . . So I guess maybe they figure if they keep whoring out the Genesis titles, more people will get into it?
This post has been edited by Sinky-Chan: 17 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

#15 User is offline Enzo Aquarius 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

• 20% Cooler.
  • Project:Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
  • Wiki edits:519
QUOTE (Glisp @ Feb 17 2011, 09:10 PM)
Keep in mind guys that there are some people who still don't have internet in this world, so this compilation is probably a good alternative. There's also those who refuse to take part in any kind of piracy as well.

The issue I have with all of these collections is, if you were to collect every single one, you'd have way too many duplicates of numerous titles (namely Sonic the Hedgehog 1). Sega keeps trying to milk the cow with collections. Yes, one or two is fine for different franchises/genres, but Sega seems to keep releasing one or two a YEAR. It doesn't help that most of these build-up on previous collections, bringing up the '3rd Pokemon Game Problem' (IE - wait until the improved version is made instead of buying the initial release).

Paramount did this with the Star Trek franchise, to an extent, but is controlled and executed a lot better than Sega does with their catalogue of games. They love to milk out each series and movie onto any new film format (VHS, VHD, Betamax, CED, LaserDisc, DVD, UMD, HD DVD and Blu-Ray to be exact). However, they very rarely re-release a title on the same format, except for the Fan Collective DVD's. I will note, however, that if you buy Star Trek DVDs/Blu-Rays from a retailer, they are pricey as hell, and the collections, deemed to be the best of the crop, are a lot cheaper. Paramount knows how to control the flow of milk, which Sega cannot.
This post has been edited by Enzo Aquarius: 17 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users