Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: SonLVL - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

SonLVL Level Editor for S1, S2NA, S2, S3K, SKC, SCDPC - 481 - 01/05/2014

#376 User is offline Tidbit 

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

• Wiki edits:4
I'm not sure if what I'm about to bring up have been mentioned already, but I suppose a little repetition can't hurt. I feel that it's a little too time consuming to have the user select the tiles and blocks that they'll be placing through a little drop down menu, as opposed to the way that SonED2 uses (selecting blocks and tiles in a repository off to the side and then just right clicking them into the chunk/block space). Aside from what I mentioned, I have to say that I love this editor and I hope to expect even better things from it.
This post has been edited by Tidbit: 12 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

#377 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
The chunk/block editing is the weakest part of SonLVL right now, but I am unsure how to create an interface that works well...

#378 User is offline Tidbit 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 13 February 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

The chunk/block editing is the weakest part of SonLVL right now, but I am unsure how to create an interface that works well...

Have you thought of creating something similar or even duplicating what SonED2 uses?

#379 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
Yeah, a chunk/tile editor where you can view it in its whole form (8x8,16x16 and so on), being able to select and edit properties of multiple 16x16s in a chunk to set collision or to delete, flip. As far as placing stuff, I think it needs to be more like soned2 where you can click and 'draw'

#380 User is offline Tidbit 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

I also have a question about importing a full palette, is there a specific way that the palette file needs to be set up for it to import correctly because I haven't really had much luck with it.

#381 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Importing from an image? It has to be a paletted image, the pixel data doesn't matter. It imports the image's palette starting at the color you have selected in the palette view.

#382 User is offline Tidbit 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostMainMemory, on 13 February 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

...a paletted image...

I'm afraid that would be where you lost me, would you mind explaining how one sets up a paletted image?

#383 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

That depends on what editor you're using. For example, in Paint Shop Pro, you go to Image -> Decrease Color Depth -> 256 Colors (8 bit). However just doing that will probably not work like you want it to. The editor will probably assign colors to the palette in no specific order and won't include duplicate colors. You can try rearranging the image's palette to look how you want it ingame, but you may be better off just editing the colors individually with SonLVL.

#384 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic)
  • Wiki edits:2
I had an issue where despite objects being there in my layout, they did not appear (some of them anyway) in the actual game. Odd as this was, I found it was because Remember State on every single sprite on the map was set to False when I loaded the stage (GHZ1). Is there a quick way to set all sprites in that layout to Remember State or would I literally have to go through each and every one individually?

#385 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

You could click in the upper left corner of the level and use the arrow keys + Ctrl to drag the selection area to the bottom right corner (and then deselect any start positions with Ctrl + click), or you could wait a bit and I'll add an option to Select All Objects, Select All Rings, etc. Although the objects should have automatically had the Remember State flag set when you placed them...
This post has been edited by MainMemory: 14 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

#386 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

Yeah I found that odd as well. Thanks I'll give that a go and if that doesn't work then I'll wait XD

EDIT: Even weird is they were set to false even loading the bog standard GHZ1 stuff. No clue how I keep doing these things haha. (Also even after redownloading the S1 2005 INIs the same issue is there. Man this is weird.)
This post has been edited by Jimmy Hedgehog: 14 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

#387 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

It seems I broke S1 object loading while I was removing some code duplication a while back. I've fixed that, and added two items to the context menu for selecting objects/rings.

#388 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Awesome stuff, glad to hear it.

EDIT: I was messing with solid walls just now and oddly enough they were non solid when solid was set to true and solid when it was false. Weird stuff.
This post has been edited by Jimmy Hedgehog: 14 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

#389 User is online Aerosol 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

• FML
  • Project:Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
I don't remember if it's been said, but is the wiki still accurate in saying that SonLVL doesn't have write support for S3&K? If so, is it an issue of not enough understanding of S3&K, or is it something even bigger?

#390 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:45 PM

The wiki says "SonLVL is a utility for editing levels in the 16-bit versions of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic & Knuckles Collection and the PC version of Sonic CD.", what you're reading is the section on Beta 5, which was released quite a while ago. The other updates since then are in the Mercurial repository's changelog.

• 35 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users