don't click here

Sonic 2K6 2D - The Last/Lost Version

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by BlazeHedgehog, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    <div align='center'>[​IMG]</div>

Four years ago I lost the source code to this in a HDD crash. A little over a week ago, I recovered it. I've spent this last week fixing up the game to get it in to a functional state so I could release it. There's a ton more information about the game in its readme.html file. I highly suggest you read it while the game itself downloads.

DOWNLOAD:
    SONIC2K62D_FINALVERSION.rar (33.6mb)

FEATURES:
    3 zones, for a total of 5 levels, plus one boss encounter. Also lots of digital music (hello file size), Mission Mode, and a very basic leaderboard system.

SCREENSHOTS:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

VIDEO:

So yeah. Enjoy!

2. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    indeed this is beautiful :D im loving the art of those stages and everything, good work so far :)

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I love those glowing effects for light, fire and stuff like that. It makes everything a lot more alive. =)

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

If you downloaded the game in the last four hours or so, I kindly ask you to redownload it. I accidentally forgot about a bug I totally had on my to-do list that made one of the missions in Mission Mode impossible to complete.

Sorry!

5. SaviourDCX

SaviourDCX

Oldbie
    I played this years ago, had fun with it. Downloading it now.

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    So during the Silver bossfight I managed to jump out of his grab and there was a floating copy of Sonic.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Holy fuck I remember this! I still had one of your older releases. I don't know why your soo ashamed of this, its great! fucking allot better then sth2006 came out!

Hell, if you would actually ever get the passon to make a complete version, we can just forget sth2006 for the 360/ps3 ever existed and make yours the replacement/fixed/superior version.

8. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

The half-complete code I had for that boss fight was a mess so I patched it up the best I could.

The only other option was to re-write the whole boss from scratch, and that would've taken at least a month.

[​IMG]

The original plan for all of this stuff was to just release it as-is, and if that was the case, in Silver's boss fight the moment you attacked him he'd fall over and lay there, frozen in his "I've taken damage!" state until you reset the game.

I'm sorry, I guess (I don't mean that in a snarky way, either - I did the best I could).

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It's pretty cool for a half completed game, and that bug didn't cause any issues it was just funny looking.

10. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Not sure if you are interested in bug reports but the game doesn't want to detect my logitech dual action gamepad, it's the only one connected.

And I remember playing this back when it was just Kingdom Valley :v: it's great that you managed to recover it.

11. Granville

Granville

US
    I have a Logitech Dual Action gamepad as well, it worked fine for me (though I'm not using their drivers, just the default Windows ones, I had issues with the official drivers).

I've always been a fan of your 2D version of S2K6 Blaze, and this was very fun. It goes a little fast and there's very little real platforming involved, but hey, FAR better than the real game lol! :P

12. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    Interesting you chose to rework this and "finish" it, Blaze. It was pretty nifty when you first released it, but I always wondered why you chose to recreate a game based off of one of the worst, frustrating Sonic games to ever exsist.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    We fans allways make stuff better then the actual creators. So much so that we can take a shit 3d game and make it a decent 2d game.

Besides he did say he fell for sega's bait and switch for sth2006, almost all of us did. Theres nothing to be ashamed of making this blaze, this incomplete fangame is better and less buggy then the entireity of sth2006.

Wish you would have continued it but I can understand why you didn't. Wish my shift key worked so I could jump! anyway to change the keyboard control settings? the settings.exe doesn't work.

14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    He started working on it before the game even came out. Like a lot of us, Blaze was really excited about Sonic's 15th anniversary game. I think he won a contest, then used the money to get a 360 just so he could play Sonic 2k6. I remember him and Kulock posting their thoughts as they played through it for the first time on the Moogle Cavern.

Regardless, this is awesome. So glad you recovered the source code, and kudos for fixing up the bugs and cleaning it up!

15. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    I guess that's true... I know I just couldn't ever find myself working on something based on a horrible game, haha... even if 2k6 was buggy, the story alone is just cringe worthy.

16. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Sonic 2K6 isn't supposed to be good, so why does this look so nice? Time itself is breaking!

Seriously, though, outstanding job.

17. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

And now that's out of the way

18. bolt7

bolt7

Loved this in 2006 and still love it now. I'd actually say it's better made / more fun than the game it's based off. I remember being at college when the first version came out; I've now just graduated from University. Feels like ages- and honestly, I'd forgotten about it. =X

Still, awesome work. I remember looking over your YouTube channel back when the first version came out- I think I'll do the same thing again today. =P

19. Played a bit, and it's solid and enjoyable. Arguably better in terms of presentation than the source material. It's got a few bugs here and there, and the art is inconsistent (to be kind), but overall it's a fun interpretation of a blunder.

The only thing I really didn't enjoy was all the self-insertion stuff, like the opening blurb by you with a guilt-inducing "are you sure you wanna skip this" prompt. If someone's interested in the creation of something, that's what the about and readme's are for.

Which I did read.

Saw this, and I smiled.

And that's a good enough reason for me.

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Haha. If it really mattered that you read all of it, I wouldn't have put the skip button in there.

And I do realize I went a bit overboard with the whole "YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHY I AM DOING THIS" stuff, but you have to understand that I feel incredibly guilty because it feels like I'm sending mixed messages. My "Sonic 2k6 is a Bad Game" video has been featured on Wired.com, and in 9 months time, has gained over 125,000 views. It's currently in the middle of another surge of popularity, because it just got linked somewhere (maybe from OneyNG's blog if he has one, going by the fact he commented on the video earlier today)

So I feel like I have to justify WHY I'd release something like this after a video like that, and I have to make sure people see how I justify it. Spending five years on Youtube has taught me that people aren't going to read anything unless you specifically grab them by the skull and say "READ THIS OR YOU CAN'T CONTINUE." And even when I do that, I STILL get dumb questions from people who apparently don't read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.