Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Archie Sonic Comic Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

#16 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

• DYNAMIC SONIC! EXCITING SONIC! STYLISH SONIC! UNBELIEVABLE!
  • Project:Making the world know that Lost World 3DS is terrible
  • Wiki edits:10
QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 27 2011, 11:31 AM)
Besides, didn't the games also have more than 7 chaos emeralds? Besides Spinball, I'm pretty sure that the Sonic 1, 2, and 3 emeralds were seperate and only related to their specific islands. Plus it makes more sense that way anyways, as how the hell are you going to find the exact same seven stones 30 times over and over again over that just happened to appear on the same island that your on? And that time in Sonic 3 where Knuckles steal your seven emeralds from Sonic 2 and you have to find the ones from Angel Island instead?

The Emeralds you get in Sonic 3 are the Emeralds you got in Sonic 2. I think Knuckles goes and hides the emeralds in the special stages... really quickly I might add, cause it takes like a minute for you to go off and find the first one.

#17 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

• Wiki edits:980
I guess that makes some sense, but what about the 8 emeralds from Sonic the Fighters? I'm still wondering where the extra one came from.

#18 User is offline MegaDash 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

• :D
Actually, I think True Dude's rationalization makes a lot more sense, and allows more freedom to the plot. The potential for there being several Chaos Emeralds spread out across the world seems to make more sense than there just being seven Dragon Balls Chaos Emeralds that shift depending on wherever Sonic happens to be fighting Eggman.

Either that, or there are just portals everywhere to the Special Zone and there are still only seven.

#19 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 27 2011, 11:40 AM)
I guess that makes some sense, but what about the 8 emeralds from Sonic the Fighters? I'm still wondering where the extra one came from.

Out of the developers' ass. They just wanted to give every fighter an emeralds. Granted they could have got away with only 7 seeing as how one character you fight is a clone version of yourself and therefore wouldn't have an emerald.

#20 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Jan 27 2011, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 27 2011, 11:40 AM)

Out of the developers' ass. They just wanted to give every fighter an emeralds. Granted they could have got away with only 7 seeing as how one character you fight is a clone version of yourself and therefore wouldn't have an emerald.

Even if it was made up just to give each fighter their own emerald, it's still canon.

#21 User is offline Impish 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

• Wiki edits:7
totally called it! As soon as Ian announced that this arc would be called Genesis, I knew it would be the Death
Egg. I'm so fucking excited about this! Looks to be the best milestone ever!
This post has been edited by Impish: 22 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

#22 User is offline MegaDash 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

• :D
I wouldn't get my hopes up. The writing and plot hasn't particularly thrilled me yet, and it's going to take more than pretty artwork and a Death Egg-centered story arc to get me to starting buying comics again. Is it just me, or do Sonic and co. in the comics just fail to interest? The artwork's nice, but the writing is simply blegh. Sally could get murdered and I wouldn't care for long, but that would never happen, so it's even less interesting. And whether or not I was familiar with the skunk character before might not change the fact that his constant double-crossing and backstabbing of Sonic doesn't really interest me in him. His "unpredictability" seems fairly predictable, and his personal motivations floppier than a poached egg. All the characters and their dialog just seems silly and nonsensical, like splashing buckets of opposing colors onto a wide canvas and expecting it to look beautiful. But then I'm convinced these comics are more for kids anyways, so why should I bother?

Then again, that brief arc involving the Oil Ocean and Sonic vs. Bunnie was decent, but not by much.

#23 User is offline Impish 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

• Wiki edits:7
Truth is, my problem with modern mainstream comics is how serious they take themselves. Like I was reading Batman/Superman, and I had no idea what was going on, because their dialogue was just so directed toward an actual conversation between themselves, rather than indirectly directed toward the reader. Thats what I like about Archie Sonic, that it isn't trying to be anything more than what it is.

#24 User is offline Quarterman 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

• Just another day in paradise.
  • Project:Talking to squirrels. The squirrels are talking back.
  • Wiki edits:6
Death Egg, huh? Sounds cool. I''ll have to keep an eye on this story ark. Didn't they already do a Death Egg story, though? I faintly recall one many years ago (perhaps to tie-in with Sonic and Knuckles). I dunno, perhaps I'm just imagining things again.

#25 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Quarterman @ Jan 27 2011, 05:38 PM)
Death Egg, huh? Sounds cool. I''ll have to keep an eye on this story ark. Didn't they already do a Death Egg story, though? I faintly recall one many years ago (perhaps to tie-in with Sonic and Knuckles). I dunno, perhaps I'm just imagining things again.

#26 User is offline Quarterman 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

• Just another day in paradise.
  • Project:Talking to squirrels. The squirrels are talking back.
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 27 2011, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (Quarterman @ Jan 27 2011, 05:38 PM)

AH HA! That's the one. Thanks for finding it. Yeah, I wonder if Robotnik will somehow bring back the Death Egg from Quest or build a new one. I'm getting rather interested in this story.

#27 User is online TheKazeblade 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

• "We'll Be Like Torches! Torches Together!"
QUOTE (True Dude @ Jan 27 2011, 06:46 PM)

Haha, oh wow, I never really paid attention how deformed Sonic's head is on that cover XP

#28 User is offline Greg the Cat 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

• I'm gonna draw it!
  • Project:Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
  • Wiki edits:2
I love the horrible perception and inaccurate placing of Rotor's right tooth. It's so bad on Spaziante's behalf. Then again, Sally's nose bridge looks really bad too.

Oh well. At least it's better than looking at Ben Bate's dreadful art (Sonic #221 as an example) for the book. (Honestly, who likes most of the current Archie team?) And for a 20th anniversary issue they really REALLY should have considered using the retro designs. Come on, it's the 20th fucking anniversary. I want to see that snarky stocky blue bastard make a comeback already.
This post has been edited by Greg the Cat: 27 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

#29 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

• Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025
QUOTE (Dark Sonic @ Jan 27 2011, 04:56 PM)
Also just a thought, since this issue happens to line up about the same month as Sonic's 20th Anniversary, and Sonic 4 Episode 2 might come up around then, could Episode 2 have something to do with the Death Egg again?

> Implying that Ian Flynn gets any advance information from Sega about what game plots will be pre-release.
> Implying that S4E2 will HAVE a plot.

This isn't just me greentexting because I'm a retard. Flynn has out-and-out stated that he has to do just like every other fanfiction writer: buy the game and play it, and make notes as to what's actually occuring in the cutscenes and stuff. The best he gets is a copy of the script or the style documents after release, so he doesn't just have to rely on his own analysis.

S4E2 won't have a plot, though, rendering the premise moot.

#30 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Well Episode 2 will have something to do with Metal Sonic. That's kind of a plot. All in all it's me just talking out of my ass. It'd be cool for there to be some connection but I'd rather Sonic 4 have no Death Egg if it means none of the Archie/SatAM gang. Personally any excuse for the Death Egg to be anywhere is good enough for me.

• 118 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users