don't click here

Let's clear up everything about the Sega Mega Modem

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    (formerly Sega Modem, Library Cart, "MegaNet"/"Seganet", ROM • I'm confused)

So I decided to talk about this here — hopefully to find some people who would know more about all this.

All we have on the cumulative topic of all this is this page. This talks about the service, but it shows a picture of the modem — something which was also used for Mega Anser, so shouldn't it be a separate page?

The name of the service also seems to confuse. no-intro recently came to the consensus that it was called SegaNet in Japan and MegaNet in Brazil, but what about the Saturn and Dreamcast services? Is there really a name?

And finally, there's that Library cart. What's the deal with it? I don't know anything about it, and doesn't it have all the games or something? There's some documentation on Sega's archive page but I can't read Japanese...

In fact, the original page on the modem also lists the service. ?????

Oh and finally, how DID we get dumps of all these MegaNet/SegaNet/???Net games anyway?
    Code (Text):
    1. $ ls mdroms/*MegaNet* mdroms/*SegaNet*
    2. mdroms/16t (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    3. mdroms/Aworg (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    4. mdroms/Hyper Marbles (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    5. mdroms/Ikazuse! Koi no Doki Doki Penguin Land MD (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    6. mdroms/Kiss Shot (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    7. mdroms/Medal City (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    8. mdroms/MegaMind (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    9. mdroms/MegaNet (Brazil) (Program).md
    10. mdroms/Paddle Fighter (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    11. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Amia's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    12. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Anne's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    13. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Huey's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    14. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Kinds's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    15. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Nei's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    16. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Rudger's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    17. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Shilka's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    18. mdroms/Phantasy Star II - Yushis's Adventure (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    19. mdroms/Putter Golf (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    20. mdroms/Pyramid Magic (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    21. mdroms/Pyramid Magic II (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    22. mdroms/Pyramid Magic III (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    23. mdroms/Pyramid Magic Special (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    24. mdroms/Riddle Wired (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    25. mdroms/Robot Battler (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    26. mdroms/Shi no Meikyuu - Labyrinth of Death (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    27. mdroms/Sonic Eraser (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    28. mdroms/Teddy Boy Blues (Japan) (SegaNet).md
    Actually where's that library cart on this list?!

Thanks.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    The Meganet ROMs were dumped through B-Club releases.

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    So what I'm piecing together form this:

There were two or three models of the Mega Modem, which is the device's actual name; these were only used for the Mega Modem and MegaNet.

MegaNet isn't a singular technology — games that were already compaible with modem might not have a name and the game delivery system was actually called Sega Game Library (????????) and the cart is what you would need to connect to it. It'd be great if we could get a dump of the cart... or had more information about the game compatibility...

That still leaves the identity of the name "MegaNet." I'm aware of the art in Sonic Eraser but...

Is there some other source? Manual scans? Translations of the advertisements? Television ads? etc...

PS - Isn't "Wonder Library (Japan) (Program).md" that Wonder Dog thing? Or could that be the cart dump?

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    SegaNet (Japan) and MegaNet (Brazil) have nothing to do with each other. In fact, they don't even use the same modem (SegaNet uses the standard modem, MegaNet has a modem built inside the cartridge itself).

Also I believe the name SegaNet was also used for the Dreamcast on-line service >_<

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Also is there a mirror of the B-Club pages? Or are they still up?

7. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
  8. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The "RS232C" version of the Mega Modem was most likely for development purposes only, and probably was just a level-converter that converted the MD's TTL serial to RS232C. It makes more sense doing that than it does to tie up phone lines while doing development.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Code (Text):
    1. Game Toshokan (Japan) (Rev A) (Program).md
    So we DO have the Sega Game Library cart after all, but Rev A? And has anyone actually looked into this (before I do, that is)?

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wasn't there yet another MegaDrive download service for the DreamCast? I know I have a folder with many MegaDrive ROMs that were supposedly intended for it, and I think the current Game Toshokan ROM we have was precisely found among them. This revision might be a different ROM than the retail one, with all its games already included offline.

If I remember correctly, they were also supposed to release PC-Engine games through this service, but I don't know if they cancelled that in the end. EDIT: Found it. It was the DreamLibrary service.

Also... ".md"? Do we really need yet another file extension for these? =\

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    If it is, I'm surprised the original one isn't in no-intro, as it's just a cart that has been circulating...

Hm, I'm not seeing Toshokan in GoodGen...? Should I assume the cart one is undumped?

Do you have any more info on that? I tried doing a Quick Google Search® but that turned up nothing except news archives and the actual DreamPassport with the service...

Blame no-intro :U (it's just another .bin/.gen)

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Try looking for "X-Band Modem BIOS".

By the way, I mixed up that ROM with "Game no Kanzume o Tokuyou", in my previous post. That's the one that was taken from the DreamCast disc, no idea of where the Game Toshokan ROM came from.

I'm afraid I don't have any info about it, I just remembered that from back when it was announced.

Silly guys, everybody knows the Mega Drive ROMs were also named ".SGD" at SEGA, back then. :eng101:

13. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Sonic Eraser and the phantasy star meganet roms (and a few others) were dumped from the Gamehompo system by pachuka, ryoga and nemesis. Dunno about the rest.

14. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
  15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I can't get the patch codes to work, for what revision is it? (if the game dumps are anything to go by, there are at least three different revisions).

17. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    That was one thing I intended on doing — however I don't have much information on TecToy Mega Net itself (only the pictures, list of games, and what it says in the ROM itself). I can split the Meganet page and make the TecToy one a stub and drop the Meganet category and turn it into a Sega Meganet Games category in the meantime...

no-intro only has one, which they call Rev A and has md5sum 63d1c64e1f3363171b63a75ce67b1f60

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In yet more similar news

http://segaretro.org/Sega_NetLink

This page is covering both the Saturn modem (sold in Japan and North America) AND the North American NetLink service, but grouping them both under the name "Sega NetLink" (which is probably wrong). It also needs a bit of a re-write, and as usual... there's not a lot of information out there about any online Saturn service.

I also marked XBAND as needing a re-write. Both this and the above are related. The North American history seems to be documented rather well, but the Japanese history is virtually non-existent (which is silly, because chances are the Japanese service lasted a lot longer).

also for those who don't follow Sega Retro's recent changes page, I've vastly updated Tectoy's Mega Net service and even accidentally came across an old online banking system and a Mega Drive keyboard. The latter is really interesting because it has nineteen blank keys. There has to be a story behind that.

19. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    On a more modem-related note, here's something that I can't find on the internet: What the fuck is Smisey Home? The only things on the Internet that say anything about it only say how rare it is. Or should its proper name be Smisey Home Tanmatsu?

Also does anyone have Japanese manuals for Cyberball, Nikkan Sports Pro Yakyuu VAN, Shikinjoh, Tel-Tel Mahjong, and/or Tel-Tel Stadium?

Finally, would someone mind translating this? Thanks.

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

???????????
    Sumisei (romaji) Home Computer Terminal (translation)
    Serial No: G-5507
    Year: 1991 (?)
    Price: 2,500 yen (?)

Data management software to use with the modem for Sumitomo Life Insurance. Probably to access the site? They may use a similar system, as you can see they still use the label Sumisei as there's ??????????????? (Sumisei Data Service) below the title in the site. Sumisei itself, I don't know. My skills in japanese are very mediocre, alike google translation. However, tanmatsu (??) means computer terminal, so yes that is the proper name? You probably know most of this already.

Pics.