Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Classic Heroes - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 148 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Classic Heroes Rise of the Chaotix (sorry, Mighty) - v0.10.008a out

#61 User is offline Effexor 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:36 PM

• JUSTICE
  • Wiki edits:36
Just a minor quip, but when Knuckles spin-dashes, the camera doesn't lag behind him like it normally should. And if the other two are spin-dashing, the camera spazzes kinda when those two go off.

This hack is still amazing, regardless. One little suggestion is maybe tewaking the AI so, for example, the order is Sonic - Tails - Knuckles, that Sonic jumps, the Tails jumps, then Knuckles jumps AFTER Tails, rather than WITH Tails. Maybe increase partner 1's reaction time somewhat so it comes between the player and what it normally is?

#62 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (Effexor @ Nov 3 2010, 05:36 PM)
One little suggestion is maybe tewaking the AI so, for example, the order is Sonic - Tails - Knuckles, that Sonic jumps, the Tails jumps, then Knuckles jumps AFTER Tails, rather than WITH Tails.

The constant triple jumping sound would make anybody with ears go insane, though.

#63 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
QUOTE (Neo @ Nov 3 2010, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (Overlord @ Nov 3 2010, 09:10 PM)
I've merged in the posts from the General Projects thread.

So I've noticed. I've split the post I was making when you started playing around. argh.gif

Saw your post, cursed at the fact I had no way to split it, decided to leave it where it was. Thanks for fixing that for me. =P

#64 User is online Crappy Blue Luigi 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

• just a blue bud
  • Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (ICEknight @ Nov 3 2010, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Effexor @ Nov 3 2010, 05:36 PM)
One little suggestion is maybe tewaking the AI so, for example, the order is Sonic - Tails - Knuckles, that Sonic jumps, the Tails jumps, then Knuckles jumps AFTER Tails, rather than WITH Tails.

The constant triple jumping sound would make anybody with ears go insane, though.

Another option is, of course, the DKC route. Just remove the other two characters' ability to make sound when not in the lead position.

#65 User is offline Tribeam 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

• I code Lua and Lua accessories
QUOTE (Neo @ Nov 3 2010, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (nineko @ Nov 3 2010, 08:04 PM)
Here is how the palette looks like in the level select:

The palette line used by Sonic + Tails is now the second line. Knuckles' colors are now in the fourth line, in different indexes, even.

Uh, no, bro. Knuckles' colors are in line 1 - the first two reds are now Knuckles' medium and dark reds, and the brightest gray has been dropped for the bright red. I know this, it's blatantly obvious when you look at the character sprites up close.

Actually, both of you are wrong, By using my palette editor(shown in the screenshot) you can see that all 3 character's colors are used on the second line, and a lot of colors are shared with each other such as one of Knuckles' shades are shared with the "zone #" text and one of Sonic's blue shades is shared with the static screen.

For Reference here is what each line represents:
Line 0: Background + Save Slot Boarders
Line 1: Characters + Random Stuff
Line 2: Emeralds
Line 3: Current Selected Level Preview Colors

Screen(I changed the colors to show what is where):

#66 User is offline nineko 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
Well, it turns out I was wrong. Thanks, Tribeam.

#67 User is offline Ell678 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:19 PM

• Am I Annoying You?
  • Project:Sonic Incursion
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (DigitalDuck @ Nov 3 2010, 08:49 PM)
Awaiting collaboration with ColinC10, and "Sonic 1 and 2 Heroes".

Retro would acheive God-like status, for having such amazing games coming from it's members if this happened.

#68 User is offline Limey Otoko 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:04 PM

I had a weird collision bug in Chemical Plant Act 2, I flew up as Tails and got caught in some sorta.. invisible box, behind a loop.

Any idea why that happened?

#69 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
QUOTE (Limey Otoko @ Nov 3 2010, 11:04 PM)
I had a weird collision bug in Chemical Plant Act 2, I flew up as Tails and got caught in some sorta.. invisible box, behind a loop.

Any idea why that happened?

Can you post a screenshot of the location? It may help tracking it down.

#70 User is offline Super Egg 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

• Master of MS Paint.
  • Project:Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
  • Wiki edits:46
It could be possible that it was just Chemical Plant's Tiles. If you go fast enough in a loop the same thing happens to you.

#71 User is offline Tichmall 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

• Project:J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
There're several of those invisible collisions boxes in Hill Top Zone, mainly when you take a path at the top of the zone thanks to Tails. I even passed through a whole wall that made me skip a cavern. I'll try to locate this wall, but there're other parts with this problem.

I noticed that loops in general have that kind of problem about collisions. In CPZ, in HTZ...

Another bug is the palette of Sonic's face used on the slot machines in CNZ, a shade of blue is actually green on it.

Game is still enjoyable though. When I can't pass a loop, one of the other two characters can do it, just have to launch him with a spin dash and to take control of him when he passes the loop. So a really good work both for what you came up with, and for your current efforts to make the game perfect. smile.png

#72 User is offline ::CMG (UTOPIA):: 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 2 2010, 03:51 PM)
My plan is to have him jump back into the screen, making him return the fastest of the 3.

you mean like in Knuckles Chaotix? Why not use THAT code? Or are 32x and Genesis/MD codes different? [/noob]

#73 User is offline Endri 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

• Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. Can I give you something else?
  • Wiki edits:7
QUOTE (::CMG (UTOPIA):: @ Nov 3 2010, 11:37 PM)
QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 2 2010, 03:51 PM)
My plan is to have him jump back into the screen, making him return the fastest of the 3.

you mean like in Knuckles Chaotix? Why not use THAT code? Or are 32x and Genesis/MD codes different? [/noob]
I belive in "not exactly as in Knuckles Chaotix," since the scalling and rotating effects are not present. rolleyes.png

#74 User is offline Xenowhirl 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

• Wiki edits:30
QUOTE (Neo @ Nov 3 2010, 02:53 PM)
QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 3 2010, 04:20 AM)
You have a nice eye for detail. I went through the route of cramming the 3 characters in the same palette line; using the S3&K Sonic (which has one less shade of blue) allowed me to add one shade of pink for Knuckles and removing one of the grays allowed me to add the green for his socks. I then swapped the reds for the Knuckles colors, so that Sonic's and Tails' shoes aren't exactly red. The palette reuse everywhere from S2 made title cards, Robotnik and several badniks mis-colored, with the grays being merged being probably more noticeable -- although the changed reds is also noticeable, particularly in Robotnik.

This is exactly the same process I followed a few years ago when I compressed all the characters into a single palette line, only to later realise I've been beaten to the point -- Sonic 3 did just this in its Data Select, and that was in 1994!

While the grays do lose some detail, since most of the characters only really use white as a base color (for gloves, eyes, and in case of Tails, half his body) and the grays are essentially just used for shading, dropping one shade isn't really that noticeable (Tails gets the most noticeable drop in detail, again due to his high use of the color). The biggest problem is really the medium red, which is a bit darker than the pure red used for shoes, making everything that was red seem too dark. There is really no other way to fix this other than simply make new sprites to adjust to the new palette, using both the medium and bright reds to even it out a bit.

Sorry, I have to add to this: The palette I used didn't require removing a shade of gray, didn't require switching to Sonic 3 sprites (since it still has 4 shades of blue), didn't require making all the reds darker or pinker, and still gave Knuckles his pinkish-red color. And it fits all in 1 palette line except for the 1 shade of green, and since that's only 1 color, it's easy to find room for it in another palette line without noticeably changing how things look. So, just saying, it's not as impossible as everyone seems to think it is to reduce the palette-related side effects more than this.

[I'm sure more details are desired, but I already posted two pictures with the palette I'm talking about, and I don't want to fill up this thread with posts about it. If and when I have something I think is ready to show, I'll post it in another thread and explain it there.]
This post has been edited by Xenowhirl: 03 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

#75 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:41 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
This hack is sick I love it!

Thought of putting details from SH in? like the time/ring/score fonts and the character circles?

• 148 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google