Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Classic Heroes - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 147 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Classic Heroes Rise of the Chaotix (sorry, Mighty) - v0.10.008a out

#2176 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:19 AM

They're looking pretty good so far. Keep up the good work!

#2177 User is offline Okamikurainya 

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:39 AM

• Project:Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX

View PostThomu, on 20 August 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

just a quick update Posted ImagePosted Image

Very nice looking! This may be going out of your way but... Perhaps you could use a slightly different design for Charmy's swarm companions when he goes Super? Though the same effect could probably work through a palette change as well.

Seeing these actually got me to go through a Charmy solo run. A very different way to play the game, for sure!

@Flamewing:
You probably know already but... The game soft-locks after the Wing Fortress Zone boss since it disables special abilities, trapping Charmy in the boss arena. :(/>
This post has been edited by Okamikurainya: 20 August 2017 - 05:42 AM

#2178 User is offline Yuski 

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

• Dragons, dragons everywhere!
  • Wiki edits:2
Those Chaotix sprites are the best I saw so far. Keep it up.

I want to report a bug, but this one will be a bit problematic to solve I think... I got the new Tectoy Mega Drive and the game freezes in the transition from Sonic 1 to 2. I've been using Esrael's updated BIOS on it and still freezes. With Team Sonic, it stops on a black screen with Emerald Hill music playing and with Team Chaotix, Emerald Hill is loaded, but totally frozen.

Esrael's BIOS can be found here: http://www.neto-game..._mega_drive.php
This post has been edited by Yuski: 20 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

#2179 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

• Wiki edits:980
Out of curiosity, are those Chaotix sprites using the new shared palette that was being discussed?

#2180 User is offline Drex 

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

• Lazy perfectionist
This is my very first time seeing any of these new Chaotix sprites. They look amazing. Keep up the great work!

View PostTrue Dude, on 22 August 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, are those Chaotix sprites using the new shared palette that was being discussed?

I don't think the unified color palette was definitely going to be a "thing" but from what I see, the characters each have their own palette. I'm counting at least 17 20 colors between three of them. Of course the colors can be adjusted to fit one palette line after the fully colored sprites are finished. That's the way I'm doing it, anyway.

Posted Image

Attempted to reduce color for the Chaotix to see how well it'd work

Posted Image
This post has been edited by Drex: 25 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

#2181 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:25 AM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12

Some silly thing I tried. Won't be doing anything more with that particular thing. OR WON'T I???

@Drex: Nice downconversion; and yes, I am thinking of moving towards a single unified palette for all teams.

Edit: by god, youtube butchered that poor video's quality. Will record and reupload.

Edit 2: reuploaded.
This post has been edited by flamewing: 26 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

#2182 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

• Regular garden-variety user
Came to see if anyone brought up Oil Ocean again, stayed for the awesome new Chaotix sprites.

The whole mix-and-match business makes me wonder if this means we'll get a Hyper Charmy/Espio/Vector or if things will be stripped down.

#2183 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

• Emerald Hunter
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
Regarding Hyper: I did come up with an idea, but I have no idea how good it will look. The super transformation will be done by fading the whole palette to white and back; I was thinking that Hyper could fade to the various colors and back. So something like:

fade to normal -> fade to green -> fade to normal -> fade to cyan -> fade to normal -> fade to blue -> fade to normal -> fade to purple -> fade to normal -> fade to red -> fade to normal -> fade to yellow -> loop

Edit: something like this:
Super:
Posted Image

Hyper:
Posted Image
This post has been edited by flamewing: 26 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

#2184 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

That actually looks pretty cool. May I ask if a lack of unique Hyper Sonic/Super Shadow colors are intended or an oversight?
This post has been edited by Brainulator: 26 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

#2185 User is offline Drex 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

• Lazy perfectionist
I like the hyper effect, but it loses too much contrast when flashing. I think should look more like this

Posted Image

Red, blue, and magenta need to be lightened up, but you catch my drift, right?

#2186 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

View Postflamewing, on 26 August 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

Some silly thing I tried. Won't be doing anything more with that particular thing. OR WON'T I???

@Drex: Nice downconversion; and yes, I am thinking of moving towards a single unified palette for all teams.

Edit: by god, youtube butchered that poor video's quality. Will record and reupload.

Edit 2: reuploaded.

I hope you're planning to implement something this, or at least considering it. I would like to see the ability to play with repeated characters in a future version. It may be pointless in single player, but it would have its use in co-op.

Being able to pick characters from multiple teams (ie: Tails+Knuckles+Espio) would be even better, but I'm guessing palette limitations would make that impossible.

#2187 User is offline Brainulator 

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 26 August 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Being able to pick characters from multiple teams (ie: Tails+Knuckles+Espio) would be even better, but I'm guessing palette limitations would make that impossible.

The plan is have a single palette for all characters, as various pictures have demonstrated.

#2188 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:17 AM

• Emerald Hunter

View PostDrex, on 26 August 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

I like the hyper effect, but it loses too much contrast when flashing. I think should look more like this

Posted Image

Red, blue, and magenta need to be lightened up, but you catch my drift, right?

This is pretty much what I had in mind; my earlier animation was a hack job done in one minute while I talked on the phone just to illustrate what I meant, and was nowhere near final. I noticed you kept the black, well, black; I kind of like the effect overall, but some characters (like Shadow) end up flashing too little. Hm.

Edit: More silly things:
Posted Image Posted Image
This post has been edited by flamewing: 27 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

#2189 User is offline True Dude 

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:31 AM

• Wiki edits:980
I see Sonia, but no Manic? Why not ask MarkeyJester for his wonderful sprites from Sonic 1 Brother Trouble?

Also see a few characters I haven't seen in other pictures too. Glad to see both Tikal and Big are both being considered. I'm hoping all these last few nice shots hint that things are progressing nicely.

#2190 User is offline Muscle Wizard 

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

So since I see Chaotix Knuckkles on the sheet and no recent posts about it beyond sprite stuff, is playing as Knuckles as he appeared in Chaotix a planned feature even accounting for the redone sprites for Team Chaotix? Just wondering about the gameplay differences (if any) if Chaotix Knuckles is actually implemented =P.

• 147 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users