Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Classic Heroes - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 101 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Classic Heroes Rise of the Chaotix (sorry, Mighty) - v0.10.008a out

#1 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

• Elite Hacker
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
  • Wiki edits:12
Quick links:
Wiki page (Sonic Classic Heroes)
Wiki page (Sonic 2 Heroes)
Latest revision (v0.10.008a)
Latest preview video

Edit: New revision is out.

Changelog:
Revision 0.10.008a: Download it here
Enhancements over previous revision:
  • Espio can attach more easily to ceilings now.
  • New continue icons for Chaotix by E-122-Psi.
  • Espio will now path swap while walking on walls (e.g., loops).
  • Credits screen scrolls text into and out of view instead of fading palette.
  • Charmy can no longer carry Espio and Vector, that is just too ridiculous and overpowered.
  • Sorted credits by alphabetical order.
  • Espio now uses rolling sprites instead of twisting sprites when appropriate.

Enhancements over original games:
  • Advancing lava wall in MZ2 now waits for the players to all be below a closing hatch.
  • GHZ collision improvements for climbing and flying.
  • A few layout and collision improvements for SLZ.
  • Espio has an 8-way twisting sprites now.

Bugs fixed from previous revision:
  • Super dash now works for Chaotix too.
  • Fixed super dash ending with Chaotix (and future teams).
  • Better handling of large and small sizes when "landing" on walls and ceilings.
  • Added a "jumping area" for Vector in SYZ3 button.
  • Fixed bug preventing any team with Vector in it from progressing to Death Egg.
  • Graphical errors in Chaotix signposts.
  • Fixed glass blocks in MZ.
  • Made Vector normal size for the time being due to numerous size-related bugs.
  • Fixed a few issues with Knuckles' and Vector's climbing when grabbing a wall near the floor, as well as with Vector's ledge climb.
  • ARZ boss pillars were clearing 'on-air' flag too late.
  • Several objects that set rolling state could crash the game.
  • Charmy can now roll when played by humans to allow breaking (say) breakable HTZ floor.
  • Swapping to a CPU-controlled Charmy that was chargins a spindash will reset mode correctly.
  • Aligned uncompressed art so that DMA does not cross a 128kB boundary, and fixed DMA function to break this case up.
  • Made sure no code exists on the upper 2MB area to prevent conflicts when SRAM is being used.
  • S1->S2 transition fixed for all cases with all teams.
  • Charmy is forced down more powerfully at the end of act (no more infinite dashing).
  • Fixed non-working switch in MTZ1; ironically, the fixes for slope glitch caused this issue by allowing off-screen switches to call SolidObject when offscreen as they should.
  • S monitor was causing characters to get stuck when it ended.
  • Certain characters can enter in CPZ tubes in a different manner and would get stuck; they can break the breakable blocks from underneath now.
  • Credits was still displaying Sonic 2 Heroes. Still need to fix the end-of-credits logo.
  • Upward speed cap was not being enforced for Charmy.
  • Charmy can now break breakable walls.
  • Characters in forced spin mode will no longer display their running frames when landing on ground.

Bugs fixed from the original games:
  • Silver Sonic being defeated on a specific frame can prevent further progress.
  • Fixed remaining case in ARZ boss where he could take off quickly when defeated (thanks goes to RedHotSonic).

Spoiler

The rest of the original post follows:

View PostXenowhirl, on 01 November 2010 - 06:32 AM, said:

It's been a while...

"Team player" controls anyone? I just started this. I'll call it "Sonic and Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 2" if no one has a better idea. All three of them are capable of going Super separately too, but I don't know if I should give them separate ring counts or what.
Posted Image Posted Image

Argh. Dammit, that is the first hack I am working with and you do this! I was waiting for the hack to be closer to ready (such as character selection, Sonic's AI still does not have a proper animation for getting back on screen, special stages are probably broken), but here is what I have so far. I also have been digging through multitap code to implement 3-players, but so far you can swap the characters with 'A' (the 2nd player can also do this, but only with the AI-controlled players).
This post has been edited by flamewing: 01 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

#2 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

• Driving The Last Spike
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 2 2010, 08:14 PM)
Argh. Dammit, that is the first hack I am working with and you do this! I was waiting for the hack to be closer to ready (such as character selection, Sonic's AI still does not have a proper animation for getting back on screen, special stages are probably broken), but here is what I have so far. I also have been digging through multitap code to implement 3-players, but so far you can swap the characters with 'A' (the 2nd player can also do this, but only with the AI-controlled players).

Well fuck, talk about "A challenger appears" =P

That's pretty damn good!

#3 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

• True Blue
  • Wiki edits:3,086
QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 2 2010, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (Xenowhirl @ Nov 1 2010, 09:32 AM)
"Team player" controls anyone? I just started this. I'll call it "Sonic and Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 2" if no one has a better idea. All three of them are capable of going Super separately too, but I don't know if I should give them separate ring counts or what.

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for in Xeno's hack! Amazing work!

It works well too! Although, when I died in the boss of Aquatic Ruin, all the characters graphics were glitched!!

Although I guess my suggestions for his hack could work on this one as well, the one where Tails can carry both characters ala Sonic Heroes, and Knuckles can carry characters when climbing walls.

And Sonic could use a better return pose. Dunno what it could be though. :P

#4 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:51 PM

• Elite Hacker
  • Project:Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Nov 2 2010, 05:44 PM)
It works well too! Although, when I died in the boss of Aquatic Ruin, all the characters graphics were glitched!!

I will investigate what is causing this; thanks for the report.

Although I guess my suggestions for his hack could work on this one as well, the one where Tails can carry both characters ala Sonic Heroes, and Knuckles can carry characters when climbing walls.

I actually have code for Tails to carry both of them, but it is disabled in the ROM I posted because I still haven't done the correct art/mappings for the situation. I am also preparing for Knuckles carrying people when gliding; but the idea of having him carry them when climbing is also good. I am also planning on Tails and Knuckles being able to tailgate after Sonic (particularly when super).

And Sonic could use a better return pose. Dunno what it could be though. :P

My plan is to have him jump back into the screen, making him return the fastest of the 3.

#5 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

• Not much I can do on here nowadays...
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Isn't this a surprise?

Played the hack up to the ARZ boss, where it badly crashed upon hitting Robotnik. No idea why that happened.

#6 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:20 PM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474
Wow, flamewing. That's great! One thing I'd suggest, if it hasn't been already, is change the delay time of either the "second" player to half the original, or the "third" player to longer.

#7 User is offline JakeyBoy 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

• Wiki edits:3
Technically awesome, but I just don't seem to enjoy it that much because the characters lag behind too much. Not your fault, of course. Also, is the music supposed to slow down when you get speedy shoes?

#8 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

• True Blue
So I decided to use a save state which allowed me to go Super in flamewing's hack...

Meet the TRUE Team Super Sonic!

#9 User is offline Mr. Mash 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

• All fanbases are awful
  • Project:drawing
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (SOTI @ Nov 2 2010, 08:03 PM)
Isn't this a surprise?

Played the hack up to the ARZ boss, where it badly crashed upon hitting Robotnik. No idea why that happened.

That happened to me only right as the first arrow was shooting. The colours on screen went crazy.
Up until that point I loved it though, it'd be sweet if someone put some Heroes music in Sonic 2.

#10 User is offline Irixion 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

• Project:Life
  • Wiki edits:152
How the fuck did you find the VRAM space for this :V *downloads*

#11 User is offline footbigmike 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:30 PM

A few bugs:
- Instashield during the act clear screen messes up the letters.
- When Tails is carrying Sonic, Sonic's legs go crazy happy dance.
- Dying and respawning breaks it in a whole crazy way. You start from the beginning of the level, but the camera spawn at the last chekpoint you were at, then scrolls all the way back through the level. And when it gets back to the start, the character sprites are absolutely screwed.
- Knuckles has issues climbing on surfaces. In addition, though somewhat unfixable, his lower jump height makes his following the other duo a lot more difficult.
- Music doesn't return after getting an Extra Life.
- The crash that occurred at the end of Aquatic Ruin also happened in Emerald hill 1. I presume they're the same bug as everyone else seems to have. But here are pics for reference!

Note that in both, Knuckles has just jumped and glided into the ground. Coincidence, I think NOT! It could totally have something to do with that reason Knuckles wasn't in Sonic 1, with the conveyor belts and stuff, right?

Right?

Anyway, this post may seem nitpicky as hell, but don't get me wrong. This was fantastic to play co-op, especially finding out that Tails can carry both Sonic AND Knuckles, albeit separately. Plus, I'm guessing you're aware of at least half of these issues already. Keep up the outstanding work!
This post has been edited by footbigmike: 02 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

#12 User is offline Drex 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD
QUOTE (footbigmike @ Nov 2 2010, 06:30 PM)
- Knuckles has issues climbing on surfaces. In addition, though somewhat unfixable, his lower jump height makes his following the other duo a lot more difficult.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have Knuckles' jump height match the other characters while in AI mode. That maybe something to consider doing if possible.

#13 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

• Elite Hacker
QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Nov 2 2010, 07:43 PM)
So I decided to use a save state which allowed me to go Super in flamewing's hack...

Ah, so someone tried it :-)

I would suggest fiddling about with RAM address $FFFF72, but the posted version is very buggy. The next revision will fix it, though.

QUOTE (Irixion @ Nov 2 2010, 08:23 PM)

Lets see: I removed one of the monitors (the Robotnik one) to gain 4 tiles; that is where the life counter is. The old life counter has 12 tiles, which neatly fit the 3 character portraits. The new HUD was done to free up $20 tiles for Knuckles. I ported S3&K invincibility and super stars and code because it is more dynamic (loaded when needed) and smaller. I converted the shield to use DPLC and hand-edited it to minimize the number of tiles. This allowed me to fit invincibility stars, shield(s) and super stars in the same address, starting at tile $4CE, as only one of them show up at any given time; Sonic's shield is separate and starts $18 tiles later, because of the instashield, flamedash and bubble bounce. At tile $4BE, I was able to fit Knuckles' spidash dust/bubbles -- a neat $10 tiles. I still have $E tiles free at $5F2 (the old location of super stars).

QUOTE (footbigmike @ Nov 2 2010, 08:30 PM)
A few bugs:
- Dying and respawning breaks it in a whole crazy way. You start from the beginning of the level, but the camera spawn at the last chekpoint you were at, then scrolls all the way back through the level. And when it gets back to the start, the character sprites are absolutely screwed.

I didn't notice the instashield in act clear, but it is easily fixable now that I now about it.

Re: the legs: I may have forgotten something when I ported over the code from S3&K; I will go through it again.

The dying and respawning: I already have a fix for that (all of it). The Knuckles climbing: this is due to differences in the game physics. I already had to import a lot of things from S3&K to get the bubble shield bounce* working correctly, I may have to import some more to get climbing working right.

Re: the music: I think I already have it fixed here; I think it was an issue with too many sound effects.

- The crash that occurred at the end of Aquatic Ruin also happened in Emerald hill 1. I presume they're the same bug as everyone else seems to have. But here are pics for reference!

Note that in both, Knuckles has just jumped and glided into the ground. Coincidence, I think NOT! It could totally have something to do with that reason Knuckles wasn't in Sonic 1, with the conveyor belts and stuff, right?

How exactly have you triggered it? Did you get hit as Knuckles glided over the ground, get hit while triggering a character swap or something? Also, what emulator are you using (or are you running on hardware)?

* Yes, bubble bounce. I have ported the S3&K shields and they are already on the ROM I posted. However, because Xenowhirl forced my hand early, I didn't have time to edit the level layouts to include monitors for them. And no, different characters can't have different shields -- there is not enough VRAM space for that... although if I can free up $18 tiles more, it will be possible, as Sonic already has separate VRAM space for his shield -- the instashield and shield abilities required it.

QUOTE (Drex @ Nov 2 2010, 08:58 PM)

I was just wondering if it would be possible to have Knuckles' jump height match the other characters while in AI mode. That maybe something to consider doing if possible.

I was thinking of doing that too (the AI is crippled enough without it), as well as to fix the cutscene at the end of Wing Fortress.

#14 User is offline RGamer2009 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

• True Blue
QUOTE (flamewing @ Nov 2 2010, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Nov 2 2010, 07:43 PM)

Ah, so someone tried it :-)

I would suggest fiddling about with RAM address $FFFF72, but the posted version is very buggy. The next revision will fix it, though.

QUOTE (Irixion @ Nov 2 2010, 08:23 PM)

Lets see: I removed one of the monitors (the Robotnik one) to gain 4 tiles; that is where the life counter is. The old life counter has 12 tiles, which neatly fit the 3 character portraits. The new HUD was done to free up $20 tiles for Knuckles. I ported S3&K invincibility and super stars and code because it is more dynamic (loaded when needed) and smaller. I converted the shield to use DPLC and hand-edited it to minimize the number of tiles. This allowed me to fit invincibility stars, shield(s) and super stars in the same address, starting at tile $4CE, as only one of them show up at any given time; Sonic's shield is separate and starts $18 tiles later, because of the instashield, flamedash and bubble bounce. At tile $4BE, I was able to fit Knuckles' spidash dust/bubbles -- a neat $10 tiles. I still have $E tiles free at $5F2 (the old location of super stars).

A few bugs:

I didn't notice the instashield in act clear, but it is easily fixable now that I now about it.

Re: the legs: I may have forgotten something when I ported over the code from S3&K; I will go through it again.

The dying and respawning: I already have a fix for that (all of it). The Knuckles climbing: this is due to differences in the game physics. I already had to import a lot of things from S3&K to get the bubble shield bounce* working correctly, I may have to import some more to get climbing working right.

Re: the music: I think I already have it fixed here; I think it was an issue with too many sound effects.

How exactly have you triggered it? Did you get hit as Knuckles glided over the ground, get hit while triggering a character swap or something? Also, what emulator are you using (or are you running on hardware)?

* Yes, bubble bounce. I have ported the S3&K shields and they are already on the ROM I posted. However, because Xenowhirl forced my hand early, I didn't have time to edit the level layouts to include monitors for them. And no, different characters can't have different shields -- there is not enough VRAM space for that... although if I can free up $18 tiles more, it will be possible, as Sonic already has separate VRAM space for his shield -- the instashield and shield abilities required it.

QUOTE (Drex @ Nov 2 2010, 08:58 PM)

I was thinking of doing that too (the AI is crippled enough without it), as well as to fix the cutscene at the end of Wing Fortress.

All sweetness to know the game is getting bug-fixed!

Oh yeah, one more thing. I went to Sky Chase out of lols, and I noticed that from here on out it is just Sonic that is controllable. Knuckles is no where in sight for the rest of the game, and Tails leaves with the plane as in the game he does.

What I propose is that the characters all stick around on Sky Chase and CAN be changed, but one CPU is hanging on/flying next to the plane, while one stays in the cockpit. This allows only one character to be playable on the plane in the level at a time. When they are switched, the characters leap to their new positions.

At Wing Fortress, The plane gets shot down. All three characters leap off the plane, smoking, falls to its demise. The level plays as normal with all three characters. At the end, when Robotnik is taking off, the characters leap on BEFORE the spaceship leaves the fortress, and ride with it to the station, eliminating the need for the Tornado.

Death Egg happens and goes. They are falling. Knuckles can glide. Tails grabs Sonic, and the cut scene at the end happens with out the Tornado.

This is basically an idea for keeping all three characters in the game till the very end.

#15 User is offline flamewing 

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:14 PM

• Elite Hacker
QUOTE (RGamer2009 @ Nov 2 2010, 09:42 PM)
Oh yeah, one more thing. I went to Sky Chase out of lols, and I noticed that from here on out it is just Sonic that is controllable. Knuckles is no where in sight for the rest of the game, and Tails leaves with the plane as in the game he does.

What I propose is that the characters all stick around on Sky Chase and CAN be changed, but one CPU is hanging on/flying next to the plane, while one stays in the cockpit. This allows only one character to be playable on the plane in the level at a time. When they are switched, the characters leap to their new positions.

At Wing Fortress, The plane gets shot down. All three characters leap off the plane, smoking, falls to its demise. The level plays as normal with all three characters. At the end, when Robotnik is taking off, the characters leap on BEFORE the spaceship leaves the fortress, and ride with it to the station, eliminating the need for the Tornado.

Death Egg happens and goes. They are falling. Knuckles can glide. Tails grabs Sonic, and the cut scene at the end happens with out the Tornado.

This is basically an idea for keeping all three characters in the game till the very end.

All good ideas. I will get to it; please note that I didn't know almost about S2 hacking until a couple weeks ago, and this hack is just over one week old today -- I simply didn't had time to get everything working as I wanted because Xenowhirl forced me to release early :-).

• 101 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users