Here's the list of features:
- A full game of Sonic 1 and 2 starts with Green Hill and ends with Death Egg.
- The Sonic 1 special stages are available through end-of-level giant rings. Giant rings have been added to Sonic 2 levels where necessary.
- You need all six Sonic 1 emeralds and all seven Sonic 2 emeralds to become Super Sonic.
- Your progress is automatically saved to SRAM. You can enable/disable this or start a new game from the options menu.
- Pause the game and press A to return to the title screen.
- Hold A at the title screen for level select.
You'll also notice a little extra called Arena Mode. I came up with this as a way to quickly jump in and play a few levels, so give it a look if you want to try the hack but don't feel like tackling an entire game. In the Arena, you attempt to increase your rank by completing time attack challenges. Higher ranks mean harder levels and shorter time limits. And no, I don't know why I always feel the need to grade people from F-S in every hack I do!
One thing I should point out is that if both Sonic and Tails are on screen, and there are a large number of objects active, the framerate can drop a bit. This was just as true in the original Sonic 2 as in this hack - the difference is that Sonic 2's object placement was designed with the presence of Tails in mind, meaning this only happens in rare cases like when you lose all your rings. Sonic 1's layouts weren't designed for Tails so there are some sections in Marble, Labyrinth and Scrap Brain where things can get a bit laggy. It's not a huge issue, but I just wanted to point out the reason for it in case it bothers you. Remember you can exit to the title screen to switch characters mid-game.
Time for some screenshots, I think:
Look, I actually drew something this year!
I'm in ur marble zone, pressin ur buttonz
There's a lot of trickery to get round palette limitations, so you may notice some slight differences.
Sonic 1 special stage: now with added Tails. He won't follow Sonic in, though. (Probably for the best.)
Hi, I'm Super Sonic.
Now that's what I call a level select screen.
All comments are welcome!
P.S. If anyone feels like making a credits medley containing all of the level themes from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, I'm sure I could find room for it in my hack somewhere...