don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog 1 No-Name

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by theocas, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    About time I share my hack on here. There is already a Wiki page on it, but due to Team No-Name's requests I will post it here.
    Anyways, Sonic 1 No-Name is a hack without a real goal, except being awesome and giving everyone something to do. It contains various ports and custom art, including a ports of Sonic CD backgrounds, various art from other Sonic games, and a port of Tidal Tempest Good Future with not-yet working collision. There is also a save-game feature in-game with 3 different slots located at the 'overworld' in the beginning of Perilous Plains Act 1. There is also a port of the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Sound Driver, thanks for that go out to Esrael. Additional Music for the driver will be coming soon. All your favorite moves are also here - the Jumpdash, Spindash, Peelout, and Superdash. They can be disabled in the Options menu if you want a classic game experience.
    Thanks for these moves go out to Selbi, The Spindash Guide on the Wiki, and Dandaman. There is a whole lot of other stuff included, but I forgot what it was. If I left you out here, please tell me ASAP so I can correct it.

Now that this wall of text has been read, here's a whole bunch of screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    The new Title Card. Now with 100% less clutter.
    [​IMG]
    This is the Hub. There's 3 of these areas throughout. The Details switch is implemented, just too buggy so I left it out for now.
    [​IMG]
    Is that sweet-lookin' or what?
    [​IMG]
    The Sonic 2 Shield has also been ported completely.
    [​IMG]
    The Peel-out now shows dust and slope animations correctly. It can be disabled in the options menu, though.
    [​IMG]
    Guess what? The Sonic 2 Sprites are also here, complete with the Nick Arcade Signpost.
    [​IMG]
    Stardust Speedway Epicness is now in Hyper Highway 3.
    [​IMG]
    A straight port of the Options Menu from Sonic 2.

It is said that if one clicks here, they can obtain a ROM of this hack. Shhh! Don't tell anyone!
    Anyways, please leave your suggestions, comments, and ideas below. I appreciate them and will take each and every one into consideration.

EDIT 1: A bugfix release has been released. The download link is still the same, though.

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    That's looking pretty sweet!

Checking it out now...

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    While the ASM edits are quite impressive, I see absolutely no sense of direction here. I must've spent a minute trying to figure out how to get past the title screen, as pressing START just resets the game. The save system... I still have no idea what to do there. There are lots of broken tiles, and the Peelout can be performed instantly (instead of the 1/2 second startup time seen in SCD). The boss is impossible to beat without getting hit, and has some very dodgy collision detection.

That said, I like the art and the SCD badniks, and some of the level design is pretty good.

4. Tidbit

Tidbit

Well, after playing through it a bit, one thing that I noticed was that the level layout was very disorienting. Which in my opinion really needs to be worked on because when I started the first level out I wasn't sure whether I was in a hub area or an actual act. On another note, you may want to apply the air dash to only one button its really annoying to have for all three.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    (Not me)

6. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    After playing till Marble Zone 1 (which is where I noticed the level modification seemed to stop, correct me if I am wrong), I am a little disappointed. Not in a hugely negative way, mind you. You and your team have shown some quite good ability but lack, as Digital Duck said, direction. The level design seemed uninspired, but you clearly show the capability to do better, as some areas are quite smart. Your ASM edits are good, your art and music imports are good (something I have never done, shame on me) but this lack of direction is a shame, because you seem to be able to do so much more.

Clearly, you are an intelligent bunch, and you can do so much more, which is what I would love to see. I can't comment on anything but the level design extensively, and even then, it's already been done. Searching level design on this forum will probably bring up a particular topic that details in extensive detail what should and what shouldn't be in a level. Bad level design ruins a hack for me, even if a few areas are good, so I hope this gets taken on board.

tl;dr - Magnificent start, just figure out what style of hack you wish to create. :)

7. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    This is really... odd.
    Firstly, the title screen seemed to mess up with me, it took me a while to actually start the game working. Then, into the game, the homing attack doesn't home in at all (unless you meant it to be a jump dash), there are various graphical errors in some backgrounds, I'd sometimes randomly gain Speed Shoes, Invincibility, or over gain 100 rings by doing absolutely nothing, collecting a random ring, or using jump dash/HA. Also, a shield in Rotting Ruins Act 2 kills you when you spin-dash to get it, and sometimes Sonic's sprites mess up, as well as others (killing the first Crabmeats in Spring Yard mess up, some of the purple snail badniks disappear too, and sometimes the Sonic has Passed Act screen will mess up).
    It's very buggy and odd, but it's also fun to play.

8. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    That is not correct. The rest of the game has some modification, sometimes in layouts, sometimes just in tiles.

Overall I actually really like this hack, or the progress so far, and I can't wait until the layouts are all changed and the (numerous) bugs are all fixed.

I like the new gfx, imported music, GUI modifications, etc. Good work!

9. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Thanks for all the replies people. Lemme respond to them all!
    Thanks.

Hmm, pressing start just resets the game? It should go to the options menu where you have to select the moves to go to the level. I'll be sure to change them all to go to the level screen mode. I know the save system is a bit confusing, but here's basically how it works: Go to the slot you wanna use, and hit the Load button. If the slot is empty, you'll end up at the hub again where you can use the springs to start the game. The game is saved every time you complete a level, and run past a signpost. I will look into the broken tiles issue.
    The peelout delay was left out for no apparent reason, but I'll be sure to add it back in. The boss should be possible without getting hit, but it may just be a bug in my code again.

Yes, I will certainly fix that air dash suggestion. As for the level layout - I didn't make it, but I'll forward your suggestion to our Level Designer.

Yes, we stopped modifying the levels at MZ 1. No one of us knows what direction to go in, so it's up to the people who will actually play the game to decide. We'll be fixing the Level Design soon.

The title screen shoudln't mess up - what exactly does it do? If it doesn't happen after you re-load the ROM, It must be a bug in my SRAM routines. The 'Homing Attack' is actually a simple air dash. These random speed shoes are the base of Super Sonic - I forgot to disable him in this demo. That shield is weird, as that monitor was supposed to be a block, not a monitor. I am aware of the Sonic has passed screen issue - I am just not sure what causes it.

Thanks. We'll be sure to edit these Level Layouts. Anyways, expect a bugfix release soon. (maybe today, or tomorrow, depending on how it goes.)

10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Well, I've finished playing and I gotta admit it's pretty pants as it is right now.

You have obvious talent, but I agree that yes, you do need a direction.

11. Yeah, this looks awesome but I can't get past the title screen myself! What am I doing wrong by mashing start?

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    ^ The way I did to get past the title screen is to input the level select code, and presto! I didn't even know the hack had this problem, but it's because the moment I booted it up in the emulator, I inputed the level select cheat so I could listen to the sound test first. :v:

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Or you could press B+START to get to the options screen.

14. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Also I am excited to see what "New Hub" is going to be, which is now just a thin strip of SZ with special moves disabled

15. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Ah, yes, I might as well tell you all about it now. There was going to be a second hub zone, but due to random dickery in the game, I can not add an additional Zone without the game going bollocks when loading it. But the area you get to with the New Hub option right now is actually a bonus stage I never got around to finish. Well, I might take a shot at it sooner or later, once this stupid LZ collision wants to cooperate.

EDIT: Oh, the bugfix release is also out. See the first post for the download link. Well, the link is the same.

16. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Double post required due to epicness of following content:
    Invalid video link
    Yes. Check out LZ 1 using the level select in this new ROM. Please give me your feedback! I hope you likes it :)

17. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Nice.
    Hahaha, I managed to make it to the end of the level just from skipping across the water. :D

18. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    YOU BREACHED LEVEL LAYOUT.... MUST ADD MOAR BLOCKS

19. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    This is quickly becoming one of my fave hacks

20. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    In fact if it had time travel it could be a pretty faithful mini-sequel to Sonic CD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.