Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Flicky Turncoat DX - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Flicky Turncoat DX Sonic 2 Flicky Turncoat Edition Beta released on Retro

#31 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 09 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

• Project:Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  • Wiki edits:6
background for the title screen, but I suppose that is in the works.

Yeah, in another "two to four weeks" as that's when my lapotop will be hopefully fixed. Actually, I wanted to mimic the simple black background of the original flicky game, but people seem to not like that so I might just have to UNblack everything.

----
Ok a known glitch is that I didn't get to put the line of code to reset the "bonus path" flag after say...a game over for example. This causes Sonic to afterwards load in some strange in the sky locations, just warning you now. I also believed this oversight is linked to the informational and title screens to move upward from time to time. Just one of the many things I will have to fix later.

#32 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:18 PM

While it isn't much of an update....

Flicky Turncoat DX's wiki page. The hack's now uploaded to Retro's servers!

#33 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Here's something that I don't hear people talk about. Did I mention the normal Sonic 1 level select works in the latest build? Did anyone try Ricky Illusion act 2? At the very beginning, the bottomless pit rises on you.

As I mentioned in the General Project Screenshot/Video Thread, I am making a Sonic 2 hack with Flicky Turncoat's features. So far, all bosses up to Death Egg Zone have been tweaked. I have been told this guy above isn't holding the wand the right way. Also I have been having trouble following the tutorial for inserting my own music into Sonic 2. I guess I could try again to see if I missed anything, but I am afraid the result will be the same.

Finally, midis. New regular boss music here, which is a Flicky lengthening of a gba rip.

-----

Ok. Ricky Illusion music vote time.
Ricky Illusion A
Ricky Illusion B

"A" is my placeholder music, but better quality. Came from an existing game.
"B" is an 100% original composition I made today just for Ricky Illusion. My test group liked it. Do you?

#34 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 22 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

So I have to post this here because my Flicky Turncoat thread is locked. It would be nice if the thread was reopened and this post moved there, but I guess you don't have to. (Thank you!) Also I am an idiot who missed sleep because of wanting to submit to this years contest and failed horribly. Also, I had this already ready back in March but felt it wasn't good enough for Retro yet. And then I stopped working on it in favor to do something for SSRG. Well with the lurking possibility that I may never get back into hacking ever again I will just release what I have. I REALLY hate myself right now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I encourage you to use level select. While everything looks unfinished and the layouts are basically the same, I want you to play the bosses. Why? Because the ASM code for the bosses have been edited. They also almost all have "boss pinches" added. Emerald Hill Zone's boss and Wing Fortress Zone's boss are "stage 1 complete," but don't have boss pinches. Oil Ocean Zone's boss is the only unfinished one (lots of glitches and boss pinch doesn't work) as that was the one I was working on at the time. Hill Top Zone's boss is only "unfinished" because I can't freakin' get the boss to move faster when it rises. Finally, the final Eggrobo battle isn't edited at all. (the only one that wasn't edited)

Edit: Keep in mind there are no new layouts, apart from a few tweaks here and there. Why? Well some people complained here that the Flicky Turncoat idea is annoying when there are new layouts. So I took up that challenge and made a Sonic 2 version. THAT is the reason why this hack exists. Also, to make it less a waste of your time I started changing the boss code so it can be refreshing. And well, it came to this. I spent most of my time on changing the bosses that I didn't get around to finishing other stuff, like the Emerald Monitor's code or the hud. Then once I posted my build at SSRG last March I just...stopped working on it.

DOWNLOAD Sonic 2 Flicky Turncoat Edition 03/08/2011 BETA

This post has been edited by GT Koopa: 23 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

#35 User is offline Alriightyman 

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Project:0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
  • Wiki edits:5
So, I never knew this existed. I like your boss tweaks so far, but I noticed a few things. I seem to get hurt when I kill badniks. I have no idea what the 2 monitor does. Whatever the EHZ boss fires is reeeaaally hard to see. I like it so far. I think you should continue working on it.

#36 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:20 PM

Have you played Flicky Turncoat DX before? I guess I will have to break it down again for new people to the thread.

The animals HURT you. Only a shield will protect Sonic from getting hurt by them. Also, you can CHAIN shields, as in acquire more than one at a time. This gives you another hit. The "2" monitor gives you two shields, an edit I did to make the game more bearable. Evil Robo Flicky monitors replace invincibility, while the 2 monitors replace supershoes. Spikes are Megaman spikes, so they are instant kill.

All bosses (apart from the final eggrobo boss) are edited via ASM. Most are completed, and have boss pinches to boot. Oil Ocean's boss is the glitchiest. HTZ's boss is say, 95% done. EHZ and WFZ are stage 1 complete but lack boss pinches.

Layout is the same. What is important (and what I spent the most time on) are the edited bosses.
This post has been edited by GT Koopa: 20 September 2011 - 11:21 PM

#37 User is offline Alriightyman 

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:28 PM

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Project:0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostGT Koopa, on 20 September 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

Have you played Flicky Turncoat DX before? I guess I will have to break it down again for new people to the thread.

The animals HURT you. Only a shield will protect Sonic from getting hurt by them. Also, you can CHAIN shields, as in acquire more than one at a time. This gives you another hit. The "2" monitor gives you two shields, an edit I did to make the game more bearable. Evil Robo Flicky monitors replace invincibility, while the 2 monitors replace supershoes. Spikes are Megaman spikes, so they are instant kill.

All bosses (apart from the final eggrobo boss) are edited via ASM. Most are completed, and have boss pinches to boot. Oil Ocean's boss is the glitchiest. HTZ's boss is say, 95% done. EHZ and WFZ are stage 1 complete but lack boss pinches.

Layout is the same. What is important (and what I spent the most time on) are the edited bosses.

No, I haven't played it before. Thanks for clearing that up. Well, I think the bosses are turning out great! You should really keep working on it.

#38 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

So uh...I haven't done anything new for a long while. I want to get back into it but since I have a bad virus on my laptop I can't work on hacking projects like I want to...or at all, really. The alternative is really crappy...as in I can only work with ASM and even then I am only able to use old, not accurate at all Genesis emulators. Also everything would be compiled with a build program that may or not be different to the regular one. So I am pretty much limited to say...the original Flicky Turncoat.

I am not going to wait this time. Here is a link to the current build that I had lying around for months.

The only real difference that normal people would see is yet another new song for the boss. Also, Ricky Illusion Act 2 was completed more, with the layout pretty much done but most of the ASM that is planned with it hasn't been made yet. So lots of switches that do nothing yet. At least in the beginning of RI Act 2 the rising ASM kill floor is still there! Which...nobody commented on. Even though I hintly pointed it out.

You also get my Laundry Zone project. The one that caused me to become so depressed that I took a "break" from hacking...to the point it lasted for several months. You can blame this one for nothing new. Thanks visually subpar layout!

Apart from the boss song, I don't think it is worth updating to the Retro hack Wiki. There are still the little errors that were bugging me from the last time. There is a Motobug Concession Charlie in Pocky Field Act 1 that goes through a rock bag of baseballs with a hidden face on it because I moved it from its "home" that was changed to make a one way switch exit and forgot the baseball bag was there. Then my laptop stopped running completely to the point I made the rushed release because I had no idea if I was going to be able to work on it again. In fact, ALL my Flicky Turncoat DX releases were like that, including the very first one. There was a not easy to get to new chunk in Act 3 that I somehow forgot to finish the bottom outline for. And of course the bonus exit variable does not turn off glitch where I forgot to add a "clear said variable command" once the act is completed (or the character gets a game over I think). Ugh.

Either way, who knows when I can work on stuff normally again.

#39 User is offline GT Koopa 

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

IT IS HERE.

MegaGWolf is my hero.

#40 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
Have you thought about just getting some professional help for your virus? or just backing everything up and wiping the slate clean?

Hopefully you get things solved soon.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users