don't click here

Sonic: The One Ring

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mercury, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Download (revision #10)

[​IMG]

Back in April...

I wanted to make a hack and enter it in this year's Hacking Competition, because I thought it would fun to participate in a community event. I like it here at Retro, but I'm usually so busy and disconnected. :( I wanted to join in for once.

I was (and still am) working on so many projects that I knew it had to be bonecrushingly simple or I'd either never finish it, or it would consume my time to the detriment of my other projects. Also, I had basically zilch ASM skills at the time. I needed to come up with a simple concept for a hack that wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

I was thinking about the concept of scavenger hunts, and I thought it might be a cool idea to have a video game scavenger hunt. Instead of hiding objects throughout some familiar location in the real world, hide them in a familiar digital environment.

Hence the idea of Sonic: The One Ring.

For detailed info, go here. I really can't be arsed to copy it all over and convert it to bbcode.

Enjoy! ^_^

Remember, I didn't know my assembly from my ass 3 months ago. I hope this effort isn't an embarrassment to the green label.

2. dsrb

dsrb

That looks very interesting! It would be better if I had my USB pad with me. :/ Among many others, the + - changing title screen   is a great idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done before. One thing I'd like to see more emphasis on in hacks is exploration, not just 'dash to the end'; S2 Retro Remix is also somewhat interesting for this reason. Extra difficulty is a good idea too—in moderation!

I tried it with the keyboard. I'm already stuck on Act 1. :specialed: Might it be better if the timer counts down? I see that + - the monitor current subtracts from the elapsed time   , but meh.

Umpteenth edit: I wiki'd this, as I was bored/procrastinating. (I did so under the full title, but it was quickly moved to the abbreviated one.)

3. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Gotta say, this looks quite awesome XD

Might run a Stream playing this later since I have nothing to do today...

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Holy FUCK. I seriously mean holy fucking fuck! I can't really describe my feelings, let's just say, this is DEFINITLY the BEST mini hack out there (I say mini because it's not really a "full" hack, I mean, level art, asm, music, etc. (hacks like Megamix and BroTro)).

But on the other hand, I'm don't really have any patience, I even failed finding a ring in the very first stage, and I don't know where or how to find any hints.

I'm quite curious about two things:
    - How'd you manage to load alternate title screens without messing up the emblem?
    - Entering the speed tunnels and getting a boost, is this an invisble object or what?

Oh and btw:
    I'm called SelbI =P (though I don't really remember doing anything releated to that, unless it's been a quite while since I helped you).

5. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    1. I had to make new files with just the background tiles and load them instead of the normal files. None of the zones had enough background tiles alone to conflict with the emblem art.

Of course, changing the position of the tiles in VRAM meant none of the 16x16 mappings corresponded anymore, so I had to write a utility that migrated the data to reflect the positions of the tiles in the new files I made (which wasn't always just a simple subtraction, either!) Labyrinth was the only Zone with few enough tiles altogether that I didn't have to alter it at all.

I quite surprised myself that I had the idea, and implemented it fully in only 1 day, especially with having to throw together an ad hoc conversion tool.

2. Yes, they're invisible objects, like the way Sonic CD does it (I think). They were one of the first mods I did for the hack, and I based them on the Spring code.

Aargh! I know your name, it was a slip of the fingers. I fixed it. Sorry, man.

The help you gave was here.

6. P3DR0

P3DR0

b0ss Member
    SONIC INFINITY
    Dude this is awesome, an simply and carefully worked idea. I want to se moar, maybe Sonic 2 levels? Or an little help to find the ring, you know... Put a dying person in the game "Hey dude, look I'm a dying person, I know where the ring is, give me one life and I'll give you a hint." Or maybe, hahaha a mod to "Protect your ring" where 5 hordes with 5 waves of enemyes try to take your ring. You know, put Sonic in a plane place and make the enemies come through the offscreen on left/right. On the end of each horde a Eggman boss.

Hahaha. Sorry, I'll stop using LSD.

7. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Nice concept! I like this idea (too bad I wont win the WTF trophy)

Ideas (to make this even harder): Make the ring change positions after you die/restart level, and sometimes you need to kill a badnik to get it. Change the monitors to remove invincibility/shield if you got that item popped from the monitor. + - If I finish my super secret engine, I'll show it to you and you could use it in your hack  

Once again, excellent work!

8. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Huzzah. I broke it a little XD

Spoilered so people can still try for themselves

+ - So I had to backtrack for the Ring in Labyrinth 1 (Which by the way Mercury, I hate you for that one =P) and when I got to the part where you have to climb the stairway and jump to the left to get on the cork block, the water level was still at its highest point from me going to the end point and then having to backtrack, thus preventingme from going any further. I tried going back a bit with what little air I had left, but the water level didn't drop. ._. I died XD Now I have to go all the way to the end to backtrack again.  

9. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    So, I've been playing through this for the last hour or so and I am impressed. I love the challenge it presents and look forward to completing it. At the moment I am completely stumped on SLZ1. I can see the ring, but god knows how I am supposed to get it. It's so close...

10. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    This is an awesome hack. The concept is really interesting and challenging and your video pretty much makes clear everything we need to know. Every hack should come with such a clear tutorial video ^^

I also appreciate the changes you've brought to make this challenge feasable and the background change of the title screen is really cool.

Good work pal

11. Alan

Alan

There is also a problem in LZ3, where the water would normally carry a cork up that you stand on. I went the bottom route when I saw that new spring thought ahh the ring must be that way. However, it was just passage to get back. When I returned to the cork area the water level never shifted up to take me up :(

Also now.. I'm stuck on SLZ1. I found + - 'someone'   but don't know how to use it. + - Object seems to get deleted if I try and take it to the ring.  

Really loving the title screen backgrounds.

Edit: Well finally got SLZ1 ring, pretty sure I didn't use the correct method, I + - charged a spin dash, launched myself up off the ramp landed on top of where the ring is held and got lucky before the block ejected me out   .

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    As I told you Mercury, this is a fantastic piece of work. Aside from the necassery changes to allow for backtracking, extra features make this unique in it's own way. Instead of just looking for the ring, you can check to see if it is nearby, and it plays in the stereo which direction it is at too! This feature made the hack have it's own challenge - I can hear the ring, but I can't see it! :argh:

The concept is perfectly functional. I would love to see some form of expansion to this, like level layouts that actually catered for the gameplay instead of the stock layouts. With that, this could be one of the most unique hacks for Sonic, simply because it's a variation on traditional Sonic gameplay, instead of changing everything or not much at all. I hope to see more of this, I really do.

13. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Augh, SYZ3 is driving me crazy. I know where it is, I can see it, I just can't figure out how to reach it!

Remarkably cool concept, very fun hack. Kudos.

14. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    At first I thought it was just some lazy hack but after watching the youtube vid this is really a great idea. its sonic 1 turned into a treasure finding mission game sort of like knuckle's missions in SA1+2. glad theres shield hoarding becuase I'm probably going to suck at this

Can't play right now but I'm going to try as soon as I get off work.

15. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I fixed about 7 more little bugs/tweaks, including the LZ1 water level problem and the bad solidity in SLZ1. (The OP link is updated.)

I'm glad so many think it's a nice concept. It's not that original, actually (of course). I was inspired by the searching for the machine and Metal Sonic projector in Sonic CD, and also the hidden Giant Rings in S3&K. What I love about those games so much is that after you blaze through them, you can spend the next decade or so exploring them and find new secrets. Sonic should never be about just speed. This is why I think Sonic Rush ultimately fails, even though it's nice - because it hurries you through, and won't let you calmly proceed at your own pace, whatever speed that may be. It's not designed to be appreciated.

So I wanted to make people take a deeper look at Sonic 1, and maybe not just find the things I added, but gain a new respect for the original Zones, as well (though I'm sure most of the Retro community has gone over it thoroughly by now!)

Also, to those of you who have been encouraging a sequel of sorts with all new layouts, congratulations, for I think you've persuaded me to make another, more ambitious offering next. That's all I'll say about it for now, though. :ssh:

16. The initial description made it seem like it would be unreasonably difficult but the minor things you added to balance it keep things fun while still being pretty difficult. The spindash is the most obvious but the smaller aids like shield stacking, time ups, starpost behavior, and ring sense make it a lot more player friendly.

Just wondering but did Return to the Origin give you any ideas for this or did you come up with most of the backtracking edits independently?

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Seriously, give me a tip for SYZ3. I can't clear it and I'd hate to cheat.

18. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    I was aware of Return to the Origin, but I haven't played it yet (I like the idea of it, and I keep meaning to when I get the time) and didn't use it for researching how to backtrack.

While RttO plays backwards, though, it's not about backtracking. So it probably wouldn't have been much help, anyway. For instance, reversing the SBZ transports is quite different than making them 2-way and button activated.

@Neo: I'll take pity on you - + - something carries you over the top of the chunk with the monitors in it, and you come at the ring from the right.  

19. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Thanks for the updated version Mercury ^^

Think I'll go stream this again now, actually... I've got nothing to do for a few hours...

http://livestream.com/arcanefirestorm if anyone cares to come and watch.

20. Sonic Joe

Sonic Joe

That's a very clever idea you have there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.