Okay so we all know Shiratsu did the music (or some of it) and the sound effects in Knuckles' Chaotix. Currently, the wiki states that he did the following:
- The Hybrid Front (1994) - Composer
- OutRunners (1994) - Composer
- Knuckles' Chaotix (1995) — Composer, Sound Effects
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei (1996) — Music Composer
- Feel the Magic XY/XX (2004) — Special Thanks
- Astro Boy (2004) — Sound Artist
- Phantasy Star Universe (2006) — Sound Effects
The style, arrangement, and texture of Travel Seaward and Door Into Summer leads me to believe he was the principal songwriter of Door Into Summer, as well as similar songs like Seascape and Tribute.
What struck me as odd however was the large gap between 1996 and 2004. Our wiki page on his partner in Chaotix, Mariko Nanba, is much more illustrated and has a more complete history of her time at Sega. I did try searching but the results I found were confusing. However, one night on irc.esper.net's #mod_shrine, the user tristendo posted this song, The End and the Beginning from Let's Make a J-League Pro Soccer Club!, a Saturn Japan exclusive. Just by listening, what was the very first thing I noticed?
Those drums are the same drums in Chaotix. And in no time, I found this page, which says not only the original J-League but also its sequel were composed by Shiratsu. Sadly I don't know the years these were published, so...
So this leads me to the two questions I am asking now:
- Which games did Junko Shiratsu write for other than the ones stated above?
- What drums were used in Chaotix, J-League, and possibly more? Can anyone identify the synthesizer? Is it custom?