don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Quite odd that they didn't make Sonic tap his foot while waiting... but I must say I really like his "looking up" animation.

2. I've done the exact same thing in Mushroon Hill Zone.
    You just have to be incredibly unlucky to jump at just the right time to activate the plane switch. Then you fall straight through the loop, if its vertical, or you somehaow skip to the other side of the loop if its level. I could NEVER do it intentionally.
    Its not a game-break. At least if you can't do it intentionally.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Does that picture look like the player's doing anything even vaguely specific to you?

It's one thing if there's a little loophole in the programming you can jump through, but come on. This guy did nothing but jump straight up and angle himself toward the wall on the way down. He didn't even come close to where the plane-switch should even happen on the actual loop—I.e. the middle of the loop's ceiling.

4. Thats exactly what I did. I was trying to avoid a badnik.
    You have to do it at the right time and right place. That time-frame is INCREDIBLY narrow. It really unlucky if it happens though.
    Like I said though; its almost impossible for me to do intentionally in S3K, if thats the case with Sonic 4, then it won't be too much of an issue

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

Notice that in that same video, the player gets STUCK INSIDE A SPRING. O.O Such bad programming!

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Ugh. Well, maybe it is an uncommon bug. Can anyone confirm that, by any chance? Someone with technical knowledge regarding 2D loops in Sonic games?

EDIT: Not stuck, but inside the spring, yes. Happens in some of the other games, actually. Not sure what caused it in this case, but he got out just fine, so that's no big deal.

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    It's not a bug, it's one of Robotnik's trap springs.

8. dsrb

dsrb

How do we ignore that which is everywhere? :colbert:

But yeah, if falling through a loop can be done quite easily, that's rather crap. Things like this make me hope (to as great an extent as someone who may buy this one day, perhaps, eventually, dunno) they're not BSing about making sizeable physics fixes, because there seem to be quite a few needed.

9. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    THAT is not 'unintentional', that's a plane=switch fuck-up.

I'm so going to abuse this when the game comes out, it looks fun to abuse if they fucked up in more places. :rolleyes:

10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Funny, because overall I prefer Sonic 2 to 1. So that renders your gay little rant pointless doesn't it?

As for the loop thing, I think it's a neat little trick rather than a glitch.

11. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    They seriously need to quit it with the walking animation. When Sonic is at a complete halt it takes too much effort for him to start running. He never gets his "wheel 'o feet" without a speed boost either. Hopefully that will be fixed before launch.

12. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Well, the guy talking in the GameTrailers walkthrough (Ken, was it?) mentioned that changing the acceleration it takes to get to top speed will be fixed.

13. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Sounded to me like you were knocking all the games afterword. No mention whatsoever that you liked 2 better than 1. The 'gay little rant' comment just makes you look like a douche.

'
    The walking animation's a little unnecessary since in the classics he started jogging as his walking animation, but it's not a huge issue with me, but I'm used to it for being in the Advance games.

14. He has a walking animation because its a model.
    Its easier to give a singular models animations than it is to draw out more sprites.

I could be wrong though....

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ken Barlough has proven himself to be an absolute PR puppet on a number of occasions. He'll always say exactly what you want to hear, even if it's completely wrong. Ruby is much better rep because even if what he says is PR talk (it's his job no less), he doesn't tell bare faced lies and acknowledges negative comments rather than fob them off.

I still don't know what to make of these changes that we're hearing about. What needs to be changed is obvious, but there's no telling if it will actually happen. Oh well, time will tell.

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Am I the only one that's always wanted to do this?

17. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I recall trying it several times in the old games hoping that I wouldn't have to walk all the way back to build up the speed, so I guess not.

18. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    Looks like somebody on the dev team put their layer-switching collision mask too close to the left side of the loop. =P Note to Sonic Team: put layer-switcher at top of all loops.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Tweaking the physics does this kind of stuff to the old level layout.
    You'll need to finish the physics first, then develop levels to fit the physics. If you do it in reverse, these issues will start to appear.

This is just one of the things that turns me off about a game.

--

glem, everyone is lying these days. Even Sega. It's part of an ongoing advertisement.

--

So Sonic 4 might be built to replace Sonic 1 for Genesis as that game was not important or did some kind of damage to Sonic in general.
    But I refuse to call Sonic 4 better than Sonic 1 for Master System! The Master System version had such feeling in the level design! I choose to play Jungle Zone over any zone in Sonic 4 :)

20. glem3

glem3

Look, if they say they're going to change the time it takes him to accelerate to full speed, without being asked, I see no reason to think they're lying. For example, did we all assume they were lying when they said they were going to take the minecart level out? No, it will be taken out, that's not something they can lie about. People will notice.

Plus, whatever they're doing, it's working. Sonic 4's videos have better scores than Zelda Skyward Sword on gametrailers (where the video was posted). Or in other words, the game is getting really positive responses. Also I think what happened in that sonic video was sonic jumped so high that he activated the layer switch that was on the top, letting him fall down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.