Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Retro: What's Going On For Now - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sega Retro: What's Going On For Now Just to avoid chaos for now

#16 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:33 PM

• Sports tape == toilet paper
  • Project:College
  • Wiki edits:8
So the Sega Retro thing isn't a joke? That's actually pretty awesome.

#17 User is offline Chibisteven 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

• Wiki edits:11
So SEGA Retro isn't a joke? Well, let's start writting stuff on how different SEGA Genesises motherboards have different audio/video problems. So it's more common knowledge. Right now you have to search for that stuff on Google and has to just phrased the right way or nothing really works. Let's just get around saying that MD2 VA2s don't have audiable enough PSG. Haha. Maybe TmEE can drop some knowledge on the modding of the Genesis.

#18 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
I too got the "Could not open socket" message.

#19 User is offline 0r4ng3 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

• Wiki edits:708
I have a request for this, which might also be useful for Sonic Retro, and that I had noticed before but forgot all about it until now. It's about the game card bob system, which looks messy and not that practical, if there're lots of systems a game was released into. Case in point, Crazy Taxi. Another way of doing it will be listing them all individually with the system mentioned again, but that's adding redundant info to something that should be in point to begin with.

I have no solution for this however, but it's something I find pertinent to think about. The only thing I can think of is shoving a table in there. The columns would be system, PAL, USA, Japan and would only have one row, because it needs to be standard and therefore <br/> would be used for "virtual rows" and standard date like so DD-MM-YYYY would be used as well for space reasons. I'm not sure if this complicates the editing a card for a regular person, I understand standard wiki code (now colbert.png) but I'm a bit fuzzy about what it's used in the templates though so I'm not sure if either a table in there is possible or if the "tag system" of developer=, system= could be used in this case. I think so, but I'm not sure.

I also need to recheck that Saturn Model page a bit more. I remember there was stuff there I wasn't sure about.
This post has been edited by 0r4ng3: 01 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

#20 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
QUOTE (0r4ng3 @ Apr 1 2010, 05:46 PM)
I have a request for this, which might also be useful for Sonic Retro, and that I had noticed before but forgot all about it until now. It's about the game card bob system, which looks messy and not that practical, if there're lots of systems a game was released into. Case in point, Crazy Taxi. Another way of doing it will be listing them all individually with the system mentioned again, but that's adding redundant info to something that should be in point to begin with.

I have no solution for this however, but it's something I find pertinent to think about. The only thing I can think of is shoving a table in there. The columns would be system, PAL, USA, Japan and would only have one row, because it needs to be standard and therefore <br/> would be used for "virtual rows" and standard date like so DD-MM-YYYY would be used as well for space reasons. I'm not sure if this complicates the editing a card for a regular person, I understand standard wiki code (now colbert.png) but I'm a bit fuzzy about what it's used in the templates though so I'm not sure if either a table in there is possible or if the "tag system" of developer=, system= could be used in this case. I think so, but I'm not sure.

I also need to recheck that Saturn Model page a bit more. I remember there was stuff there I wasn't sure about.
Yeah, I've been thinking about this in regards to Virtua Racing. We could probably split off the release information and ratings into subcards within Bob. We could also do what Wikipedia does and just throw them all in there using a list. What do you guys think?

#21 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

• Project:Gold's Curse
  • Wiki edits:21
Hey wait.

Why not call it the Sonic and SEGA Retro Allstars?

v.png

#22 User is offline SupahSonic12 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Sparks @ Apr 1 2010, 06:13 PM)
Hey wait.

Why not call it the Sonic and SEGA Retro Allstars?

v.png

This is a brilliant idea.

Even moreso because, no matter how much you guys may want to move away from Sonic after the Sonic 4 fiasco, Sonic is still very much a part of Sega. Which is another reason why banning discussion of Sonic games is a bad idea (Don't know if you guys are still going through with that tidbit).

Also, perhaps with this reveal, we may see more hacks of more SEGA games.

#23 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176
I should point out that creating single-sentence placeholder pages, or copy/pasting from wikipedia is not allowed. The article for Barney's Hide & Seek is the standard which everyone needs to follow when making a new page about a game.

http://segaretro.org/Barney%27s_Hide_%26_Seek_Game

#24 User is offline Selbi 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

• Obligatory new year's avatar remake.
  • Project:Sonic ERaZor
  • Wiki edits:320
Freakin' awesome. But may I make a single suggestion to it? I got used to Sonic Retro's dark Rusted Cooper skin. This new bright and shiny is irritating me a bit. Any chances you could copy over that skin to SEGA Retro or at least make anything dark releated?
I'm looking totally forward into this anyway. =)

#25 User is offline The KKM 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

• EXTRAPOLATE REGENERATE
  • Project:Losing control of my life
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Hivebrain @ Apr 1 2010, 11:24 PM)
I should point out that creating single-sentence placeholder pages, or copy/pasting from wikipedia is not allowed. The article for Barney's Hide & Seek is the standard which everyone needs to follow when making a new page about a game.

http://segaretro.org/Barney%27s_Hide_%26_Seek_Game

A bit sad that the prime example of a good article is Barney, don't you think? rolleyes.png

#26 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
I can help with Sega Genesis game music rips and also contribute a few Sega CD and Sega Saturn Redbook soundtracks. Some of the rips I've made for the Genesis games are difficult to come by and I make it a priority that all of my rips be at 320 KBPS when I convert the WAV files to MP3. I also amplify them a little but I make sure not to over do it to avoid bad clipping. Also, I use the overdrive, Super HQ, and other music options in Kega Fusion for extra quality.

I don't touch the Sega CD or Saturn redbook tracks though. Also, I made sure to give Sega CD and Saturn Red book tracks appropriate names if I knew them or could think of them and unless it had an official OST with the tracks names as listed in Windows media player with the discs inserted.

There are going to probably be music rips for some Genesis games that have sound effects in them since it may or may not be avoidable without hacking. (example: Sega Genesis Primal Rage. Some sound effects are simply unavoidable and there is no sound effect off option so I'm screwed but I'll rip it anyways upon request.) However, I will try to lower the amount of Sound effects that appear at all costs.

Also, if there is a specific request for a soundtrack then please, pass me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Currently, I have the following soundtrack rips for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games:

Jurassic Park (includes a couple of tracks I ripped from the leaked beta)
Jurassic Park Rampage Edition (Not many people have attempted ripping this one. I think I'm one of the first.)
Eternal Champions
Dynamite Headdy
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - The Movie (has synth versions of many of the music tracks from seasons 1 & 2 of MMPR.)
Zero Wing

Sega CD Redbook:
Earthworm Jim: Special Edition
Ecco: Songs of time (Sega CD Redbook versions of it though.)
Jurassic Park (Includes the PCM Track played in the Visitor's Center. Have never beat this so the tracks have no names.)
Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side
Mortal Kombat: Sega CD (Only a few of the tracks have been named. The non opening FMV ones are not the real names.)
Wild Woody (Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal the heavy metal artist composed this soundtrack.)

Sega Saturn Redbook:
Revolution X (not all the tracks have been named as I don't know the names of most of Aerosmith's Songs.)
Virtua Fighter 2 ( The Saturn from the yard sale this game came from broke down before I could play this.)

Just to note, there are many more Sega Saturn games that I need to rip Redbook from in my collection. Including a Nights into Dreams Demo Disc.

I do have on Sega 16-Arcade soundtrack I've ripped:
Altered Beast

Anyways, I'm probably going to expand my horizons to the most obscure and benign Genesis games I can think of so as I've said before, I will gladly take any requests. I had a bunch more soundtracks than this but my when my old Windows XP died back in January, I lost a great deal of rips. Many of the rips and Saturn Redbook tracks you see above I managed to save onto a flash drive before it happened. All others have been lost though. Thankfully, I can rip better ones.

#27 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
I dunno what we're going to do about music. Right now, Sonic Retro has a separate subdomain for music, but I dunno if Sega Retro will have one too. However, thanks for stepping up to contribute!
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 01 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

#28 User is offline Glisp 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

• It's classic Super Sonic with Green eyes. Get over it.
  • Project:None at the moment I'm afraid.
  • Wiki edits:73
I'd love to chat with you guys on the IRC in #Sega but unfortunately, my internet connection isn't going to let me because it is shit.

I'm trying to figure the mother fuck why so I can chat without worrying about missing vital details.

#29 User is offline DalekSam 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:13 AM

• woop woop pull ova dat ass too fat
  • Project:Sonic Thrash, Amphobius
  • Wiki edits:165
QUOTE (Selbi @ Apr 1 2010, 11:34 PM)
Freakin' awesome. But may I make a single suggestion to it? I got used to Sonic Retro's dark Rusted Cooper skin. This new bright and shiny is irritating me a bit. Any chances you could copy over that skin to SEGA Retro or at least make anything dark releated?
I'm looking totally forward into this anyway. =)

I'm thinking the complete reverse—is there any intent on making similar skins for each site? The way Sega Retro looks is very pleasing to the eye, and it would be nice if Sonic Retro could possibly look any similar.

#30 User is offline dsrb 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:29 AM

• Wiki edits:196
QUOTE (Glisp)
I also amplify them a little but I make sure not to over do it to avoid bad clipping. Also, I use the overdrive, Super HQ, and other music options in Kega Fusion for extra quality.

These seem to be mutually exclusive, assuming that like me you view all clipping as bad. According to the Fusion manual, "The OVERDRIVE option doubles the volume of sound output, making it sound closer in volume to most other emulators using the MAME sound core. However doing this means that the YM2612, and possibly other chips, are slightly distorted by clipping." In other words, if anything it's detrimental to quality. IMO, if you must alter alter volume post-recording, simple normalisation is probably best, although I'd probably leave it to the listener's volume control. wink.png

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users