Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega Retro: What's Going On For Now - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Sega Retro: What's Going On For Now Just to avoid chaos for now

#1 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
  • Project:Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
  • Wiki edits:7,061
Okay. Here's the deal with Sega Retro right now:

SEGA RETRO is a new wiki we created to be a wiki for everything Sega, from the electromechanical machines of the early years to today's video games. As such, we have a lot of ground to cover, but the wiki format will only make it easier for us to achieve our goal.

Because you people have lost your minds in the Sonic 4 thread, we have been forced to do an early start. Bear with us.

We don't have your Sonic Retro accounts migrated yet, so just register an account with identical username on http://www.segaretro.org/ and get editing.

Because of this rushed start, we're not quite there yet with migrating the non-Sonic stuff from Sonic Retro to Sega Retro. Contact a Sysop, Moderator, or Administrator to have the stuff moved.

When creating an article for a game, take a look at how other articles are written to get a sense of how to write your new one. This will keep everything up to a certain level of quality.

Manuals are to be uploaded in cbr format. cbr, short for Comic Book RAR, is just a rar file with the extension .cbr. The files in a cbr file are formatted pageXX.ext, where XX is padded with 0s. So, for a 30-page manual, you go page01.jpg, page02.jpg, ... page30.jpg; for a 300-page manual (gasp!) it's page001.jpg, ... page010.jpg, ... page300.jpg. We are doing this to save bandwidth on the server, so get out your Comic Book Readers and get ready to learn!

Files should be named consistently. Use the format gamename_console_region_mediatype.ext or similar. For example, the US Genesis Dynamite Headdy cover should be named DynamiteHeaddy_md_us_cover.jpg, DynamiteHeaddy_MDUSCover.jpg, etc.

We have an IRC channel irc.badnik.net #sega where we will be happy to assist you further.

Finally, a shoutout to those non-staff members who knew about the site before today and have helped us: Cinossu, NikTheGreek, TmEE, Ironfist, Flygon, and Bartman3010. Thanks a lot guys!

Happy editing!
This post has been edited by Andlabs: 31 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

#2 User is offline grap3fruitman 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

• Wiki edits:5
Is this the April Fool's joke?

#3 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:Who knows? Toss a coin, will ya?
  • Wiki edits:27
Account made. Does it matter which emulator screenshots for the wiki page are taken in (something to do with correct colours or something, I don't know)? If not I'll fire up Kega and get playing, I got my mind set on wiki'ing. wink.png

#4 User is offline Rockman Zero 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

• Hello there, my little friend.
  • Project:Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (grap3fruitman @ Mar 31 2010, 10:13 PM)
Is this the April Fool's joke?

'Fraid so, seeing how X-cult just changed to Sonic Retro Cult with the Tweaker Tantrum forums. Please don't kill me Tweaker. D:
This post has been edited by Rockman Zero: 31 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

#5 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
QUOTE (Jayextee @ Mar 31 2010, 11:17 PM)
Account made. Does it matter which emulator screenshots for the wiki page are taken in (something to do with correct colours or something, I don't know)? If not I'll fire up Kega and get playing, I got my mind set on wiki'ing. wink.png

Just follow these rules.

#6 User is offline SegaLoco 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

• W)(at did you say?
  • Wiki edits:79
Looking at that list of helpers, fuck, I would've loved to help... Sega Retro is awesome though. I will start migrating info from X-(Sonic Retro)-Cult

#7 User is offline Azu 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:50 PM

• I must be stupid.
If this is isn't an April Fools joke, all the more to you guys. If is, fuck you guys. <_<

#8 User is offline Effexor 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

• Who wants a coop stopped?
  • Wiki edits:36
Hold up a moment, let me get this straight. This "SEGA Retro" thing; it was going to be done eventually, but the recent events in that godforsakened Sonic 4 thread caused you to make the move earlier than anticipated. Do I have that right?

#9 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
QUOTE (Effexor @ Mar 31 2010, 11:51 PM)
Hold up a moment, let me get this straight. This "SEGA Retro" thing; it was going to be done eventually, but the recent events in that godforsakened Sonic 4 thread caused you to make the move earlier than anticipated. Do I have that right?

Yes, that's right. Now can we keep this thread for Sega Retro discussion? We have a separate thread for commenting on the situation. Thanks.

#10 User is offline MathUser 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

• 3rd top wiki contributor
  • Wiki edits:14,865
I was hoping it would have been a while before Sega Retro was revealed. We didn't have the articles all uniform yet. For those wondering what we want our game pages loooking like, look for the barney genesis game article.

#11 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

• Mako Retro
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Since andlabs didn't post this, I might as well will.

You might notice on the recent changes page on Sonic Retro that there are a lot of redirects going on. Basically, all SEGA content will be redirected to the new wiki. I've done a lot of pages so far, and I'd appreciate it if some people helped.

If there is a page on Sega Retro which also exists fully on Sonic Retro, replace the contents of the Sonic Retro page with the following:
CODE
#redirect [[sega:*pagename*]]

If there are links to Sonic articles on Sega Retro which do not exist (ie: red links), create a page with the following:
CODE
#redirect [[sonic:*pagename*]]

PLEASE CHECK THAT THERE IS A SEGA RETRO PAGE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. IF A SEGA-RELATED ARTICLE HASN'T BEEN MIGRATED TO SEGA RETRO, DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN REQUEST THAT THE PAGE IS MIGRATED TO THE NEW WIKI.

#12 User is offline Andlabs 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

• 「いっきまーす」
Please have your userpages on Sega Retro redirect to Sonic Retro like so:

CODE
#REDIRECT [[sonic:andlabs]]

We will have separate user talk pages: one for Sonic Retro and one for Sega Retro. Keep user-to-user discussion separate according to purpose. Thanks.
This post has been edited by Overlord: 01 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

#13 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

• Mako Retro
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Anyone who created a user page have now had their pages redirected to their Sonic Retro page.

#14 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

• We're all mad here
  • Wiki edits:16
I think that alot will agree that if this is not an April Fools joke, then man, you've picked the wrong time to reveal it. Also when I sign up, it says:

"Could not open socket"

Which just eagers the April Fools feel inside even more, is there something I'm missing?

#15 User is offline Impish 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

• Wiki edits:7
So is there going to be a link to Sega Retro on the tool bar at the top of the forums and main wiki?

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users