Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Character Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Character Art Sonic, Tails & Small Animals

#316 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Retroman @ Mar 8 2011, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (Canned Karma @ Mar 9 2011, 11:45 AM)
Thanks for the housecleaning Chimpo.

Retroman: That's why I said that if enough people have the same view on it and can bother to express themselves without a tantrum we'll take heed. Thanks for your support smile.png
Oh ok, sorry I kinda got confused about who Chimpo was talking about, I thought it was Neo v.png

But anyway, I was wondering if you are still accepting art submissions because I really want to start on some HDing of non-remastered sprites.

We're always open to submissions for stuff whether it be a rough concept or a highly fleshed out piece. My only words of advice to you would be to label your work appropriately, put said work in the proper thread/s, and focus on things that aren't related to Emerald Hill or Hill Top.
This post has been edited by Gambit: 08 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

#317 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (TheKazeblade @ Mar 9 2011, 05:26 PM)
I also liked the first change to the eyes, as at first I couldn't tell if the original was meant to to be shading or eye-lid.

I don't agree with the proponents of dead look, though. That is up to the artistic vision of the team, and shouldn't be changed because others say so.

Not that it would be changed because of that, but wanted to say I support the set artistic vision.

It's not like changing the eyes a bit is a drastic change in direction... Personally I'm not too fussed either way (I can't imagine why anyone would be of course). They can stay the way they are for all I really care (they still look good)... Although I do prefer the two alternatives posted. Not quite the way the second was done, but it was obviously just a quick mock up. It's just one of those little things that stood out to me when I was a kid smile.png. Those dead eyes... creepy.
This post has been edited by zemulii: 09 March 2011 - 03:22 AM

#318 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

• Wiki edits:18
I personally think that having all the graphics based on the official artwork is giving the most consistent results so far.

If anything, some stuff in the new sprites still seems to be a little too based on the original sprites instead of the artwork (like Sonic's head and body shapes or Coconut's ear placement, as I've noted before).

#319 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
  • Wiki edits:1
ICEknight, that's the main reason we started using those as the primary reference! The artwork has far more character than the original sprites do. The final pieces are blends of the original artwork fitted to the size limitations of the sprites with artistic license used to balance out the two. I'm glad to see that most people appreciate how things are turning out; we fully expect to show off artwork and get diverse opinions on them, and when most people are pointing out the same thing then it becomes worthy of another look for future revision. But only when those suggestions are backed up with well thought out reasons behind them.

The set of the eyes looking downward/angry is part of that same artistic outlook we have for the badnik. That look won't change, but the adjustments to that (shading, pupil highlighting) certainly may.

#320 User is offline Drex 

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

• Project:Sonic 2 HD
I apologize for beating what may be a dead horse, but would there be any consideration for eyes looking "innocent" while flying and angry while shooting? It seemed to go over well as a good merger of the two back when I first started the buzzer and one could say it gives it a bit more life/expression.
This post has been edited by Drex: 10 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

#321 User is offline BlazeHedgehog 

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

• A "Community Enigma"?
  • Wiki edits:51
The main problem I have with the buzzer sprite is the representation that the eyes are indented in the face. It's too dark and at a glance makes it difficult to tell the shape of the eye. Making it less dark helps make it way more readable, I think:

#322 User is offline Jebusman 

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Drex @ Mar 10 2011, 01:12 AM)
I apologize for beating what may be a dead horse, but would there be any consideration for eyes looking "innocent" while flying and angry while shooting? It seemed to go over well as a good merger of the two back when I first started the buzzer and one could say it gives it a bit more life/expression.

It could look cool, but I think it's going more for the look that all the badniks are angry motherfuckers who are hunting Sonic down. In their limited move range. At least, the official artwork tends to have a "We're badniks, Sonic must die" look to it.

#323 User is offline Cryops 

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

Many time has passed since my last post. Now I can show completed (imho) model of spiker. Don't sure still need it or no, but I think it ready and want to hear a few words about it,please)
Posted ImagePosted Image

ps:I hope that I post in right topic...
This post has been edited by Cryops: 17 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

#324 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:21 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
  • Wiki edits:1
Thanks for posting that Cryops, but all the badniks for Hill Top were completed last winter. Compared with your last attempt though, I have to say you've made impressive progress. The drill in particular looks great. For the time being there's really not much that needs doing on S2HD until we're able to get our initial release out. If you're looking to contribute and further develop your skills, you may want to give the guys working on the HD remake of Sonic 3 a look. They've just recently started and they have quite a bit to tackle.

• 22 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users