Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Character Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Loading News Feed...

Character Art Sonic, Tails & Small Animals

#1 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
-- Character Art --

This thread is for discussion and submission of assets relating to Character Art only.

Art style reference:

PM Vincent or Canned Karma if you have any questions about this.
This post has been edited by Canned Karma: 26 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

#2 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

Looks like I timed my last post veeery badly, so I'll repost:

I've lightened up the cheek shading. Light enough?

Also rounded the tip of the wing a bit (because it's not exactly pointy in most of the official artwork). Although it's hard to see here...
The shape of the wing looks a little bit "off" now though I think... Not because of the roundedness, but because of what that change has done to the rest of it.
Better or worse with the rounded wing? If it's better then I guess I'll probably need to adjust the rest of it a bit to match (I'm thinking - make the whole thing a bit more rounded).

I realise one is slightly darker overall than the other. I have to darken it each time to suit the game colours more, so I didn't quite get them the same.

By the way, the forums are looking very tidy wink.png. Doesn't look like there's much room for confusion.

#3 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:23 AM

Looks much better Zemulii!
As a concept I can see room for improvement on legs, then it's ready for revectoring & animation. wink.png
Having HTZ's goals as priority, mind to take a shot on Hawk?

#4 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

I might have a go at the Hawk next then. Is there no official art for it though (sounds like quite a challenge)?

About the legs, is there anything specific that needs a change? Maybe toes like in the official art? It's mainly because I've limited myself from the beginning by working so small that I left them out! But I'm sure I can add them in if they're necessary.

#5 User is offline test-object 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
  • Wiki edits:1

Official Art for Locky the Eagle ^^

EDIT: fine, ICEknight :3
This post has been edited by test-object: 22 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

#6 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Just a small clarification...
Hawk.
Bald Eagle.

EDIT: As for this awesome piece of chicken:
[quote name='zemulii' date='Mar 22 2010, 04:37 AM' post='429697']

I still don't get why there's first a light part on the outside, and then the shadow and the non shadowed parts. Was it something that happened in the official artwork? (can't check because it's not at the database anymore...)
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 22 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

#7 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the art smile.png.

You can still get to the Chicken's database entry. Just go to the "Hawk" and replace his name in the address bar with Chicken wink.png.

http://sanik.hacking-cult.org/inker/entity...;entity=Chicken

Well a couple of reasons (it's kind of in the official art). Neither of which might be the "right" reason! When I was originally drawing over the old chicken on the green background, if I just went straight from purple to green (and there does need to be shading there I think - for the cheek), it was quite hard to see where the background ended and the chicken began. And because the cheek is quite an important part of the whole shape and character, I thought I'd better find some way to bring it out more. So I added the highlight. It also helped me to "round" out the cheek a bit.

The wings have a bit of an outline because I wanted to bring them away from the body. Although they still look kind of like they're "under" the head...
This post has been edited by zemulii: 22 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

#8 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

My last reply on the chicken's mockup. wink.png
(yeah it's a dirty one!)
This post has been edited by Vincent: 22 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

#9 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (zemulii @ Mar 22 2010, 06:50 PM)
Well a couple of reasons (it's kind of in the official art).

Yeah, I see. I had that suspicion and just wanted to make sure.

Good work.

#10 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

I like what you did with the cheek there. I've made it more like that.

Once again, ignore the darkness... the bottom one is closer to what I'm working with.
The other two are darkened to fit in the game, but I think I may have darkened them a little too much.

This post has been edited by zemulii: 27 March 2010 - 08:09 AM

#11 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

Much better Zemulii!
What about moving forward with the front frames? (or even better, going on the Eagle remastering?)

#12 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:36 AM

When I'm in the mood for drawing, those two will be the first on my list of priorities smile.png. I'm sooo out of practice though. I'll probably have to sketch them up a fair few times before they turn out alright. I suppose I'd better ask though, is that the only Eagle art? I mean it should be enough, but any more can only be helpful!

Oh, and mind if they're still just in raster (concepts)? I might give vector a go, but I'm way more comfortable just sketching things up.
This post has been edited by zemulii: 27 March 2010 - 08:38 AM

#13 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Given we need vectors for Character Art, Concepts might be the starting point for a good vector counterpart.
So yes, keep em coming! ^^

My suggestion for a productive workload is to cooperate as a group: There should be concept artist and vector artist translating the best concepts.
If anyone wishes to revector Zemulii's Chicken in .AI, that'd be great! wink.png

P.s.
This post has been edited by Vincent: 27 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

#14 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

I guess Eggman/Robotnik himself isn't classed as "Character Art" then? I mean, when I think of "Badniks and bosses", I just think of the machines, rather than Eggman himself (but I suppose the sub-explanation is it's "enemy art" rather than a 'character').

Anyway, the chicken's turned out very nice thumbsup.png

Although is it just me, or do the shadows have a tint of purple to it? Zooming in, it would seem like it - just wondering why really?

*edit* Oh:
QUOTE (zemulii @ Mar 22 2010, 11:50 PM)
Well a couple of reasons (it's kind of in the official art). Neither of which might be the "right" reason! When I was originally drawing over the old chicken on the green background, if I just went straight from purple to green (and there does need to be shading there I think - for the cheek), it was quite hard to see where the background ended and the chicken began. And because the cheek is quite an important part of the whole shape and character, I thought I'd better find some way to bring it out more. So I added the highlight. It also helped me to "round" out the cheek a bit.

I don't quite get this. How would making the shadows gray (if that's what you're talking about) affect how it blends in to the background? I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense myself!
This post has been edited by The Growler: 27 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

#15 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

Eggman is classified as Character Art, while Enemies and EGG-ships are instead under the badnik-bosses category.

• 22 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users