Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Badniks & Bosses - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 39 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Badniks & Bosses Discussion & submission of enemy art

#136 User is offline subsubstantive 

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

• Wiki edits:2
QUOTE (Hamneggs @ Apr 11 2010, 01:34 PM)
QUOTE (Sonuw @ Apr 11 2010, 08:51 AM)
Don't worry about it.

Nebula's just a LITTLE smaller, the bottom base is heightened a bit, and the screws are lowered.

What ever happened to the silver band above the yellow stripe on the bottom portion of the Nebula's shell? Just curious...

I've always thought the "silver band" was meant to illustrate the volume of the black dome bottom, as it curved in and was highlighted by light, just before the second yellow band pertruded and also had its upper lip curve and was also highlighted in the same manner. That is generally what I've been trying to get across for a while now, when I say that this sprite lacks volume. I have also always said that the circle on the bottom half was meant to be a burst of light, even when others tried to argue it was a light or button or whatnot. I believe this sprite is meant to be reflective like a black marble, and it was made curvey to add highlights from the brilliant blue sky its surrounded by. Currently the sprite is too sharp and lacks finer details and "volume". But I know it's a work in progress.
Keep it up!

Anyway, I threw together this as an overly exaggerated example, the yellow is supposed to be light reflection.

#137 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

That's what I thought the silver bit was too. Just a way of getting around pixel constraints without losing it's shape completely. Seeing as it's so reflective... shouldn't the shading have a blueish tint? Being in Shy Chase and all? May as well consider the environment, we're not limited by colour!

Anyway it's hard to tell whether or not the HD sprite should incorporate these "lips", as while they occur in the sprite, they don't in the official art. I kind of think they'd ruin the look in this particular version but I could be wrong. I'm not so keen on it being too curvy around the edges. Could start to look less like a badnik, and more like a child's play toy.
This post has been edited by zemulii: 28 April 2010 - 06:49 AM

#138 User is offline Cerulean Nights 

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

• Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist
  • Wiki edits:1
*Badnik Creation Process Guide*

I thought it would be worthwhile to give you all a little direction on the method that will be used to create ALL of the new Badniks. This guide is not just a suggestion, but is the definitive process and should be followed as close as possible in order to get the best results.

I will be using the first Badnik I created, the Whisp, as an example throughout the guide, to give you a better understanding of each step.

1. Main shapes

This is just a bare-bones design of the body, with little to no shading involved. The point of this step is to get the proportions and perspectives absolutely perfect. You may not move to the next step until this one is completely fulfilled. You will need to consider all of the ways the Badnik will need to be animated, and add that into your design decisions.

Take a look at the initial Whisp. His shading is done with very few color steps, but you can get the idea of where I was going with it.

Post as many revisions of your Badnik as possible on the forums, you will get invaluable help from the others and there will almost certainly be little things you may have overlooked, that should be fixed as early as possible.

At this point, the body shapes are perfected, so it is ready to go to the next step. I'll stress this again, do not move on until the shapes and proportions are perfect!

2. Details and shading

Now that you have the perfect shapes for you Badnik, it is time to tone it and make it look nice. This is anything from adding in finer details to basic shadings. It is in this step that you will want to make sure you are keeping the same art style we have set for the Badniks. Take a look at the next revision of the Whisp:

You will notice there are many differences. The legs have been slightly modified to fit with the concept art and have metal tones added, the eyes have a glassy-like reflection, shadows have been added, and the all around shading is starting to come together. Once your basic shadings are done, you can move on to more complex details

Now you will notice things have been taken even further. A hexagon pattern has been added to the eyes, the stripes to the nose, as well as the reflections on his body. Final shadings have also been applied. Have fun with it, but make sure it is still going along with our set art style.

The finishing touches have been added, and now that you are absolutely sure that your Badnik is perfected, you can move on to the next step. It is essential that before moving on to the final step, you get a final approval from me or another staff member, otherwise and further time spent on it will be wasted.

3. Animation

Now it is time to bring your Badnik to life! At this point the shading will be finalized, so all that is left is to give it the finishing touches to get it ready to be used in game. For the Whisp, there really isn't a lot to animate, but for most badniks, it will take a little bit of work and thinking.

You have seen how Sonic's new running animation is fluid and beautiful. That is the style that we want to see on all Badniks from now on. I will use the Spiker as an example. The drill and his legs are the main things that will need to be animated. Those legs are going to have to move fluidly, and each individual frame of animation on them will have to be shaded to perfection. This includes how the shadows move, and how the light reflections will change according to the position of each leg. It is not something that can be half-baked, we want to make sure people know how much care went in to each and every frame for our Badniks. This goes for all steps, actually.

Once your Badnik has been approved by the staff, you can pat yourself on the back for a job well done, then get to work on the next one!

As always, the staff is here to help. If you have a problem with anything, PM me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. The staff has the final say on what goes in the game and what doesn't, so it is highly advised you follow this guide as closely as possible. In the long run you will be glad you did.

#139 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
I've linked CN's guide to the OP. His method is the official process we want to see used on every badnik, and he's more than happy to elaborate further if anyone still has questions around it.

#140 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
I know this will probably not be considered since everyone working on the project is very much concerned with quality and recycling can take away quality on some levels, which isn't a bad thing, but anyway...

...I was looking at the Spiker because I thought I could help by drawing it, but I realized something.

You can use the ghora's head and Grounder's drill for the spiker just find with minor edits to the drill to create the spikes. Would that be an idea or has it never been brought up because it recycles an object?

#141 User is offline Gambit 

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

• Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Nah, the overall shape and form is too different to bother with that. It'd just be easier to redraw all that from scratch.

#142 User is offline Cryops 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

Sorry for my absence, just I didn't have enough time to end my work...
So my work move slowly, but I try to complete spiker within near week. At the end of this week I try to show completed or nearly completed model...
This post has been edited by Cryops: 26 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

#143 User is offline Canned Karma 

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

• S2HD Project Manager
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
Don't try to do a completed model on your own. It'll be much better for your own progress and final quality if you post up steps according to the badnik guide Cerulean Nights made. Once you think you have the basic shapes for the badnik down, please post that up first.

#144 User is offline Cryops 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:56 AM

Ok, that is what I have at present moment. Basic shapes I've posted few pages ago, so now I working on legs of model and his drill...But I only begin working on drill and it still far from necessary level

This post has been edited by Cryops: 27 April 2010 - 03:09 AM

#145 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Looks a nice start, please don't forget to always post the frame at 4X res! wink.png

#146 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

• Wiki edits:18
...And the correspondant artwork for comparison, please.

#147 User is offline Cerulean Nights 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

• Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist
QUOTE (Cryops @ Apr 27 2010, 02:56 AM)
Ok, that is what I have at present moment. Basic shapes I've posted few pages ago, so now I working on legs of model and his drill...But I only begin working on drill and it still far from necessary level

It is a nice start. Please don't continue on with any more shading until those basic shapes are perfected though, and are okayed by staff. The biggest issues I see right now are the perspectives on the eyes and drill. The eyes one the sprite actually have the wrong perspective too, so don't use that as an example for the eyes. The top of the left eye should be at the same height as the top of the right eye, and it should also follow the curve of the sphere. Since you are looking straight on at him, the drill should have a flat bottom, instead of rounded as well. The spikes on your drill are also just random sizes and going random directions. Use the concept art for a better idea of how it should look.

One thing you might look at adding is the segments on the legs that connect to the body in the concept art. I think it would be a nice addition

And as always, please post at the 4x resolution (you can still post the bigger one as well if you wish)

#148 User is offline test-object 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

• By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea I had this effect on you.
QUOTE (Cerulean Nights @ Apr 27 2010, 06:32 PM)
One thing you might look at adding is the segments on the legs that connect to the body in the concept art. I think it would be a nice addition
Next to the upcoming update, I also want to see how he looks when the hat is covering half his eyes for concept purposes.

#149 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:22 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
I like the shading on the spiker.

Just a tip I didn't see posted, try curving the spikes around the drill up a bit, they're curved up more in the art and in some places on the sprite.

#150 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
Notice the grooves cut into the drill part in the concept version.

• 39 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users