don't click here

Amy In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Feb 28, 2010.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Presenting Amy Rose in Sonic the Hedgehog 1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abilities:

* A : Hammer Attack (can destroy enemies and monitors, as well as smash through walls and activate springs)
    * A mid-air : Hammer Jump Attack (self explanatory)
    * Down+A mid-air : Hammer Spin Attack (dash downwards on enemies with full force)
    * Down+A on-ground : High Jump (higher distance jump)
    * Down+B/C on-ground : Leap (gain accelleration with dash forward)

Glitches:

* Hammer animation resets when interrupted (eg. turning or falling off ledge).
    * High jumping during the end-of-level-transition causes you to start high-jumping at the start of the next.
    * Demos are somewhat ****ed up.

Wiki Page (+ Most Recent Revision):

http://info.sonicretro.org/Amy_Rose_In_Sonic_1

Alt control Layout (A and B switched around) *Not Updated Yet*:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/bogbaf

Earlier Revisions:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/uw1mn7
    http://digilander.iol.it/projectchaos/S1Amy_Rev1.5.zip
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/h63wri
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/b193wg
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/q849fy

Special thanx to many people here for helping out with the programming such as Aquaslash, MarkeyJester, FraGag, qiuu, Hayate and Selbi to name but few.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Oh my god this is so adorable.

Although I think the mid-air hammer attack needs a bigger visual cue.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx.

How do you mean bigger visual cue?

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ah, this is so cool. The sprites are extremely well done. Having to use the hammer instead of jumping makes playing a lot less boring than just another Sonic 1 hack.

Would have been neat if you could also hit springs with the hammer like in Sonic Advance.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx.

I tried implementing the special spring effects made by the hammer animations but they didn't work. I think I'll need to look into the spring ASM coding more for a later revision perhaps.

6. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    This is truly cool, sweet, and catchy. Well done

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    The other attacks are pretty easy to tell where your hammer is so you can attack with confidence or time them correctly. With the Mid-Air hammer, the attack phase seems to last 7 frames but only 2 of those frames are visually different and it's a little hard to judge a safe range to attack from those. Forgive the following crude example, but maybe an additional frame and some blurring would help.

[​IMG]

Of course this is just me talking so you're than welcomed to ignore it.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Amazing. Those new animations look great, not to mention the title screen... This is shaping up as a very professional-looking mod.

I must say again that it's a bit odd having A as the attack button instead of B, though... Having to change the control configuration for just one game is somewhat annoying. =|

By the way, perhaps it's already in your to-do list, but you might want to edit the waiting animation so it moves like:
    1-2-1-3-1-2-1-3...
    Instead of:
    1-2-1-3-1-3-1-3...

9. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    ooh, I do like this :D
    It's good to see a new title screen animation too.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I have to admit, I was cheeky and used level select to skip to the end to see if the ending pose where Sonic jumps at the screen had been changed. And it had! Beautifully, I might add. = ) I know this is an early version, but it's coming along very well so far!

On a side note, I found Final Zone's boss so much easier using the hammer as Amy than I do using jump attacks as Sonic. XD

11. Mr.Moose

Mr.Moose

United States
    Some ongoing game engine experiment...
    Very nice, the old Amy form Sonic CD.

Looks really good! *Downloads*

12. MastaSys

MastaSys

ohhh I been waiting for this one! :)
    Playable Classic Amy!

Awesome work as always.

13. On the list of things Amy can do that Sonic can't we have.

-Swing a hammer
    -Swing a hammer in the air
    -Die after beating the final boss

[​IMG]

Seriously though, this was great. Sprites are top notch, attacks work well (except for when they don't), and I really enjoyed the hot pink finish on some of the badniks. I also think it's neat that you have a finished ending sprite in what your post claims is an early version of the game. I'm curious to see what later builds have in store.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah, I get you now.

Yeah, I admit the transition isn't great, mainly because I based it off the Advance animation (rather than a blur, the hammer left a flurry of love hearts in it's trail, not quite sure how to program something like that). Not a bad mock-up though, I might have to steal it...

Whoops, thought I had already edited that (I had to start over from scratch at one point because one edit had wrecked some of the collision coding).

Well, now you have TWO games with the A button. lol

Seriously though, I'll make a B button edit next revision.

At last Sonic 1 has HAMMERSPACE!!! lol

Yeah the attacks seem to have a low radius, at least concerning monitors, only the ground hammer works on walls and blocks as well.

I'm truthfully hoping to replicate most of her abilties and physics from Advance 1 for the final product.

15. The emeralds are all funny colors!

Also this is awesome! I think that the hammer attack needs to be slightly modified so that the actual hammer can attack people...not just the move!

Also a running spin attack (run and press down) would be helpful sometimes too.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh wow, the ending pose. I didn't even suspect it had been implemented already.

She's already supposed to have a headbutt move just in case. :ssh:

17. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    That is quite an adorable game you made up! It gives the normal Sonic game quite a new challenge that mirrors that of Sonic Advance. The opening title screen and ending shot are so wonderful! I give it a 5 out of 5!

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Cute. Of course you do know Amy gets drunk if you keep turning around during a ground hammer attack, right?

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    This is really good! Other than what you've already said, there are a few things I'd change:

- Make Amy's moveset complete from Sonic Advance (I.e. add Strong Hammer Attack, Higher Jump, Giant Steps, Hammer Jump)

- Make spin attack non-lethal. After exiting an S-bend or being launched from the ramps in SLZ boss, Amy curls into a ball that can hurt badniks/Robotnik. While she obviously needs to be in a ball to go through the S-bend, I don't think she should be able to hurt enemies in that form.

- Fix demos.

Other than that, this is absolutely fantastic. And it's fun to die after beating the Final Boss!

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

People REALLY like the ending poses. I mean I know a few odd hacks neglect them but it seems to be a big debate here.

She had a leap move (that could convert into a weak little skid by pressing attack) in Advance 1, I think she had a peel out variant in the other two games. A lack of spin attack was sorta her weakness, though she had it in Advance 2 (where she was basically a mirror of Sonic) and 3 depending on how you combined partners.

Yeah, I don't quite know how to fix that glitch. Anyone got any guesses how this is happening?

The completed moveset is planned as soon as figure how to program the other moves. As for the spinning, it seems it would make the boss a bit too tedius since you aren't given a lot of space to hammer before you collide with Eggman.

And I don't know how to fix demos. Anyone done this before?

Wow, thanx. Love your avatar and sig by the way. :D

That's a nice idea, however it would likely require more complex programming so the hammer image is recognised separately (likely making it a separate layer like the ring hands in Chaotix), I don't have much knowledge of how to do that.