Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 29 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Project AXSX (Sonic Xtreme and SONIC CD REMIX A 2.5D game) AXSX New Years Video 12-31-2012! ! ! Happy new year!

#271 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostAyu Tsukimiya, on 20 April 2012 - 06:54 PM, said:

So, are the models for Sonic and Amy out yet? I'd love to see those.

Haven't made any models for Amy, Sonic or Eggman yet.
well there was a sonic model from 2006 that I worked with , He wont be used though.
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 22 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

#272 User is offline Arctides 

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

  • I am a bloated bag of hate.
  • Posts: 1277
  • Joined: 21-March 04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia
  • Wiki edits:2
So, forgive the TL;DR I'm about to post, but this has been on my mind for a while and I've been reluctant to post it. Mostly because I was a little worried that it might come across as me tearing down Project AXSX, which isn't my overall intention.

I think it goes without saying that you've impressed a lot of people in this community with your abilities, not just to program, but also to create your own 3D models. Your remake of X-Treme is looking incredibly authentic – which says a great deal as the community's had only a few screenshots, poor quality gameplay videos, and one obscure demo to go on when it comes to even having an idea of what the game would play like.

However, given the capabilities of the engine you're working with and your capabilities as a designer/programmer, is an exact duplicate of the BEST end product you'd want out of this project? I mean, let's be honest.. The Sonic X-Treme concept – although it's been the piece of vaporware that haunts the dreams of most older Sonic fans – wasn't exactly solid. From the what was presented, the levels didn't exactly look fun to play. The rotational physics according to where Sonic was standing and the reflex lens were interesting ideas, although I don't think the team at STI executed them very well (I can't be too rough on them because I know the Saturn was hard as hell to program for).

You've duplicated that to a T. You're using the original sprites, lo-res textures, and the geometric level layouts. However, you're replicating an unpolished and otherwise unfun concept. The winter demo you released was beautifully put together, but it plays exactly like the poorly programmed SEGA Saturn game it was in 1995. I played it back during the release, and found it frustrating to play (although that may be because of my overbearing need to climb to the highest point in the level). Collecting rings was rather difficult, considering that if Sonic wasn't walking EXACTLY lined up with them, they wouldn't come in contact with them (which was something I noticed in the video footage from the 90s, as well). The narrow geometric paths also made exploring the higher regions of the maps a bit tedious as well.

As I said before, my issue is not with the game you've put together, but rather with the concept you're trying to emulate. Give what you've made from scratch for your 2.5D Sonic CD remake, wouldn't it make more sense to merely take inspiration from the version of Sonic X-Treme presented in 1995 rather than attempting to duplicate what was at most an incomplete game? Why not simply use an actual 3D model for Sonic, higher resolution textures, and redo the structure of levels in a way that makes them seem.. more organic? I'm not trying to order you about, or tear down what you've worked on so far. It just seems that with your resources.. well. Why not? Food for thought, I guess.

#273 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostArctides, on 22 April 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

So, forgive the TL;DR I'm about to post, but this has been on my mind for a while and I've been reluctant to post it. Mostly because I was a little worried that it might come across as me tearing down Project AXSX, which isn't my overall intention.

I think it goes without saying that you've impressed a lot of people in this community with your abilities, not just to program, but also to create your own 3D models. Your remake of X-Treme is looking incredibly authentic – which says a great deal as the community's had only a few screenshots, poor quality gameplay videos, and one obscure demo to go on when it comes to even having an idea of what the game would play like.

However, given the capabilities of the engine you're working with and your capabilities as a designer/programmer, is an exact duplicate of the BEST end product you'd want out of this project? I mean, let's be honest.. The Sonic X-Treme concept – although it's been the piece of vaporware that haunts the dreams of most older Sonic fans – wasn't exactly solid. From the what was presented, the levels didn't exactly look fun to play. The rotational physics according to where Sonic was standing and the reflex lens were interesting ideas, although I don't think the team at STI executed them very well (I can't be too rough on them because I know the Saturn was hard as hell to program for).

You've duplicated that to a T. You're using the original sprites, lo-res textures, and the geometric level layouts. However, you're replicating an unpolished and otherwise unfun concept. The winter demo you released was beautifully put together, but it plays exactly like the poorly programmed SEGA Saturn game it was in 1995. I played it back during the release, and found it frustrating to play (although that may be because of my overbearing need to climb to the highest point in the level). Collecting rings was rather difficult, considering that if Sonic wasn't walking EXACTLY lined up with them, they wouldn't come in contact with them (which was something I noticed in the video footage from the 90s, as well). The narrow geometric paths also made exploring the higher regions of the maps a bit tedious as well.

As I said before, my issue is not with the game you've put together, but rather with the concept you're trying to emulate. Give what you've made from scratch for your 2.5D Sonic CD remake, wouldn't it make more sense to merely take inspiration from the version of Sonic X-Treme presented in 1995 rather than attempting to duplicate what was at most an incomplete game? Why not simply use an actual 3D model for Sonic, higher resolution textures, and redo the structure of levels in a way that makes them seem.. more organic? I'm not trying to order you about, or tear down what you've worked on so far. It just seems that with your resources.. well. Why not? Food for thought, I guess.


First I'd like to say. No problem, as I really appreciate creative constructive posts such as this.
In fact I've got the same feelings for many of the points you've made about the gameplay and limitations of the original concepts of Xtreme.

The X-mas demo was made as an example to please hardcore Xtreme fans by giving them a treat using customized Jade gully textures and layout based on the E3 96 video.
Sure I will be re-creating many areas seen in video's and Magazine screens, but these areas will be very small and probably nested in-between areas with a more Sonic like level flow.
Also since the game runs in UDK, it would be very easy to do modern a high quality Sonic Xtreme.
shhhhh,,,this is a secret......but...
....
..
.
I've already done some work recreating some of the Badnick sprites as 3D models for an HQ AXSX)

Already many aspects of xtreme have been fixed ( by my Programing partner Xak of Sonic GDK fame.)
Sonics speed for example has been slowed down to that of the classic Genesis games.



Also Id like to say thanks for the praise, I'll accept all of it,:P
except the part which should go to Xak as I'm not really that great of a programmer.

I'm good when it comes to Project planning, problem-salving, shaders, modeling, texture work, and Most of UDK's tools, but outside of that,
(if I were to program a characters movement for example, than I'd be shit out of luck)
However I'm familiar with many limitations of what can and cant be done with programming gathered from the previous 6 years on the project.
which helps with work-around and problem salving issues that come up, as I like to think outside the box.

With so much work going on with my two projects, its very overwhelming!
So, I hope to open AXSX this as a community project when it gets a little further along.
But if that happens many ground rules would need to be laid out.
So that it wouldn't get as crazy with everyone fighting over something like a single texture for 20 pages.
( Sonic 2 HD, hint hint)
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 22 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

#274 User is offline Blivsey 

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

  • Charismatic Sonicaholic
  • Posts: 522
  • Joined: 20-September 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ioway
  • Project:Throwing my support behind others' projects (aka none)
You know what I like about this project? You. Not only are you a fantastic modeler, but you're so awesome about your project. You stand very firmly next to your take as a pixel-perfect recreation, while you admit that yes, you too would like to see it in full polygonal glory. You make sure that your project doesn't go off the rails as do some other projects in their span. Making less-than-subtle jabs at these other projects purely because why not.

Long story short, you make good models and good ideas are a good person and keep on truckin'! also I can't program like at all so you got me beat there bro

#275 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Thx Blivsey!

Anyhow, I'm considering turning Project AXSX into a community project.
only a very limited one. With strict rules and guidelines for submissions.
Mainly I'm interested in levels and level layouts as for the most part the engine is nearing completion.

#1 There will not be allowances for HD textures or models, (128 x 128 max res for level paths) (64 x 64 preferred)
#2 No additional playable characters besides Sonic till the original goal of completing the main levels and boss stages has been completed.
#3 the art style should be inspired by the original concepts when designing textures. ( remember this is a 32 bit inspired game)


Anyhow, Does anyone think going open community project is a good idea?
If this does happen , who is interested ?!
ALSO ,what other rules and regulations would be necessary to help the project stay on its original course. (or becoming another sonic 2 HD)
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 02 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

#276 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Hey guys, I'm looking for ( a programmer) someone who may be interested in recreating the boss stage functions in unreal script for AXSX.
(camera and control system mostly, AI can come later)

A few years back, threw a series of emails with Christina Coffin, I've obtained information on how the Sonic Xtreme boss stages functioned.
This would need to be kept a secret till the stage is done.

Sorry for holding onto this secret. I wanted to give a surprise....
It would be a nice surprise for many of you guys to be able to play the stage the way it was meant to be played,
instead of reading about how it was played.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 02 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

#277 User is offline Truner 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

  • Posts: 101
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary
Hey Andrew75, you might remember me from the AXSX forum.
Sorry I couldn't get back there, but it got so deserted after a while, it was just hard to go there. However, I did try the new demo and... it lags. To think that what is basically a Sega Saturn game lags on my PC is already strange, but the jump from your original engine to SonicGDK shows a lot. The jumping feels a lot different and even the fisheye looks different from what it was in the older demo. It feels like the older demo got it right (except for the fact that there were no rings and the resolution was tiny). However, after playing it on a better computer, I think it's perfectly fine and a really good start. I still do think that the jumping needs a fix (feels a bit stiff) and I don't know if there's any way to change the resolution/disable shaders/whatever to make the game run faster on slower computers (I'm using a 2010-end Notebook).
On a different note: my god, those 3D models are amazing. They're really professional and I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually from SEGA or Square Enix or something and you just got them from their servers. D:
Nah, joking aside, that is some quality shit you have. What exactly do you mean by remix? Same level styles but different layouts, or something else?

#278 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostTruner, on 10 May 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Hey Andrew75, you might remember me from the AXSX forum.
Sorry I couldn't get back there, but it got so deserted after a while, it was just hard to go there. However, I did try the new demo and... it lags. To think that what is basically a Sega Saturn game lags on my PC is already strange, but the jump from your original engine to SonicGDK shows a lot. The jumping feels a lot different and even the fisheye looks different from what it was in the older demo. It feels like the older demo got it right (except for the fact that there were no rings and the resolution was tiny). However, after playing it on a better computer, I think it's perfectly fine and a really good start. I still do think that the jumping needs a fix (feels a bit stiff) and I don't know if there's any way to change the resolution/disable shaders/whatever to make the game run faster on slower computers (I'm using a 2010-end Notebook).
On a different note: my god, those 3D models are amazing. They're really professional and I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually from SEGA or Square Enix or something and you just got them from their servers. D:
Nah, joking aside, that is some quality shit you have. What exactly do you mean by remix? Same level styles but different layouts, or something else?

Yeah man, I remember you from the AXSX forums!
Thanks for dropping by! I think retro is a better place to post news about the project than the failed webpage we started.
(Xeniczone dropped off the project and never finished the website, I don't have access to make any updates there. may open another website that I can update myself)

Anyhow regarding physics on Project AXSX (sonic Xtreme),
they have changed yet again from the prevous 2011 X-mas demo to more closely resemble that of the classic Sonic games on Sega Genesis.
A fixed demo will most likely see the light of day sometime this month.

As for lag. our old engine would have been worse off since it couldn't handle more than 100 rings at a given time,
causing the frame rates to plummet drastically even on my system, (please see signature for specs.)
I can imagine what it'd do to lower end systems.
please if you can, what are your specs and FPS over there?

CD Remix? Hmm well part of Sonic CD was always about the music for me, and well if you Remix a music CD than you can call it a Remixed CD.
However in my case I was remaking the game in 2.5D and I'm always on the lookout for remixed Sonic CD music.
Also, Act 3's will be longer, and there will be new areas within other current zones.
I think more story elements and a few additional zones will be included (R2 which may be a Lava / desert type zone) among a few other original zones.
anyhow, ya, Sonic CD Remix is sort of a pun.

Also I think that the Sonic CD Remix naming may have inspired the name for "Fan Remix" Although I'm not sure.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 10 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

#279 User is offline Truner 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

  • Posts: 101
  • Joined: 01-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hungary
This one
Swap the 4GB RAM to 2GB, there were two versions of this. The only difference is the ram.
I get around 10-20 fps. And input lag too.

#280 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
That seems about right for the specs, the Intel GMA HD kinda sucks as a graphic card.
sorry man. >__<

#281 User is offline Azu 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

  • I must be stupid.
  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: 23-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home
May I ask you a quest. you've modeled Green Hill, right? May I ask how you made the loops?

#282 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostAzu, on 10 May 2012 - 05:55 PM, said:

May I ask you a quest. you've modeled Green Hill, right? May I ask how you made the loops?

Hmm not an easy question to answer as its a long process.
I'll try to give some important steps that I used.
May be missing some steps, I'm sure you can fill in the blanks.
lets see,
I started off using a single plane model,
*converted that to an edit polygon,
*made a circle shape( spline),
*used the circle shape with the cut tool and 2.5 snaps to cut a circle out of the plane,
*deleted the inner face,(circle)
*cut the shape of the outer most portion to produce the shape for the loop base.( using 2.5 vertex snap to grid)
*cut more lines from each vertex of the circle to the outer edge of the loop base( or parameter).
*moved vertex accordingly to form the depth offset for the frontal and background ramp
*than in line edge mode drag+shift all the outline edges to make depth for walkable area and base parameter
*clone mirror front faces to back than weld and adjust vertex ect.
*finally UV unwrap.

Have you tried to make a loop yet?
If so, lets see what you have there, perhaps I can give some tips to fix any problems you may have.
There are many ways to make loops for sonic games, I've made many loops in the past using various methods.
The above method was used to make the ghz loop.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 10 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

#283 User is offline Azu 

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

  • I must be stupid.
  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: 23-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home
I did it by copy 'n' pasting a box.
Posted Image

#284 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1301
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Hmm,,,,
, just made a quick and dirty loop in about 5 minutes,
hope this helps as a good starting place.
You'll need to do the UV unwrap yourself though.
DOWNLOAD NOW!


If I were to continue this loop, I'd cut away around the parameter of the block frame to give it some personality.
EDIT: ( also to make this all Quads I'd Target weld the bottom right corner there, Sorry I forgot to do that as I was rushing.
oh and under the loop lip (near bottom) there are a few triangles that may need taking care of. sorry again.
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 11 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

#285 User is offline Azu 

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:14 AM

  • I must be stupid.
  • Posts: 1433
  • Joined: 23-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Home
I hate unwrapping=/. I only no basic unwrapping. I usually use UVW Mapping.

Did you use the spline tool?

Anything I try to use the path deform method, I get this. Same thing for the boolean shape.
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Azu: 11 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

  • 29 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users